At work with Gav

Gav836

Yeah, they are still going at the moment, another 45 acres and we're finished. We do have 40 acres of straw on the deck but thats all for silage clamp walls and lining the spud store so we're not too worried about it. Once we have enough done for them I'll wrap the rest up in rounds, have done 1150 so far this season for us and another 250 for us on our neighbours

I've had the first demonstration tractor of the autumn out today, its a Valtra T172 Direct which is Valtra's CVT transmission. Its not a bad tractor to drive once you get used to it, its quite economical, pulls well and is quiet and comfortable in the cab. Not sure on the metallic white colour scheme though ;D

011-17.jpg

012-16.jpg

008-20.jpg

010-17.jpg

A few internal pictures now

Dash display with hours, speed, rpm, fuel and temperature readout

007-20.jpg

Armrest with spool controls, hitch controls, engine management settings, headland management settings and tractor computer

004-28.jpg

Right hand switch panel, switches for transmission/engine/hitch management and dials for hitch and engine/transmission management

005-26.jpg

must say them t's are very popular with a large contractor round here, he runs about 7 of them now in with the other stuff, all in a dark red metallic, but theres also a class coloured one and the other day i saw a lovely burnt orange one, just like the uh dealer box version ,and that did look stunning, had the chrome stack cover ect on it, and front links, will any new one you get have them fitted?

I think the Valtra would just about get a 6 or 7 out of 10. The New Holland is a much better tractor in many ways, ease of use being one of them, not that the Valtra is a bad tractor, I just don't find it as operator friendly as the New Holland is

Nice to see the pics a bit bigger than earlier, Gav. I have to say, while the larger Valtras look slightly odd tome I do love that colour scheme. Very crisp. Nice to see you ploughing 'properly' across the stubble too I might add. It is surely a good tractor to start with (apart from the NH) and something pretty solid to help you score the rest of the demonstrators.

The NH baler on the last page..... I am in a pretty NH orientated area yet anything this size is either MF or Hesston. .... yet half the balers are the same under the paint anyway.

So has it got front suspension? Is it on a 50kph box? One of my uncles has one on his farm as he can't use the clutch on a tractor anymore due to his knees being bad so he wanted a fully automatic tractor and when he brought his about 4 years ago he thought it was the best one.

I like the plough how does the valtra pull? is it continuous power of does it struggle when it hits a tough bit? also what do you think of the visibility. By that I mean the back hitch? I've found the new masseys need the extending hitch else you cant see the drawbar when trying to pick up a trailer. 

I have loads more questions but i'l halt there... ha ha!

Great pics Gav... with my new found interest for carting I NEED to know the following questions...

1. What size header on that combine

2. What speed are you doing on wheat ???

3. How many Tonnes per Ha on average mate ???

4. What trailers are you using ???

5. Are you tipping in the same place all the time ???

Coooor you don't want to know much do you ;D ;D

1. What size header on that combine

18ft cut, just the right size for us as we can fit it down our tracks on the combine

2. What speed are you doing on wheat

3.5-6kph depending on crop

3. How many Tonnes per Ha on average mate

I would imagine we've averaged around 3.75t/ha, we've had mostly good yields with some fantastic first wheat behind OSR but had some first wheats on lighter land get hit by the drought so its pulled the average down

4. What trailers are you using

2 x 14t AS trailers on wheat, 1 the rest of the time

5. Are you tipping in the same place all the time

All the wheat goes to the same grain store, the OSR and the spring barley went to a different one

Yeah I did.......late night last night combined with copious amounts of Fullers London Pride ;D ;D

We get 2.75 tank fulls on a trailer, with some of the loads that have left the field I would imagine that there was 15-16 tons onboard as I know those trailers when level full hold just over 14 tons but we do have a habit of piling them up when we fill them

We judge it as we have a light come on for half, thre quarter and full on our combine. It does put more strain on the machine to leave the auger full, too much strain in fact if it had beans in it.......I found out the hard way 7 years ago when I stretched all the drive chains and belts doing so on my old Lexion