MODEL OF THE MOMENT... The Britains 2680 ~ and the real deal

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Marky a good read!

I want to do something similar with the whole of my collection, picture of model and tractor annd a little information about both. Want to end up with an A5 booklet or something similar. Trouble is finding the time to do it.

I always enjoyed driving the 2720 years ago, this was then swapped for a 3690 which was a super tractor, even more of a beast!

Could you do the same for the 3690 sometime? ;D

Thanks Marky a good read!

I want to do something similar with the whole of my collection, picture of model and tractor annd a little information about both. Want to end up with an A5 booklet or something similar. Trouble is finding the time to do it.

I always enjoyed driving the 2720 years ago, this was then swapped for a 3690 which was a super tractor, even more of a beast!

Could you do the same for the 3690 sometime? ;D

But not anytime soon  ;D:o

Britains Massey 2680 was probably one of the best earlier tractors they made. For an older Ford man, I think both the model and the real thing were handsome looking tractors. My Britains model is the Red and Grey one which looks a hundred times better than the white version. ::)God knows why they couldn't find some grey plastic. I really would like another red/grey one when funds permit. :'( The model was also very well detailed too.

If you get hold of a September 2006 Classic Tractor magazine; it has a very good write up on a 2wd 2680 powering a Mengele trailed forager, and some "Arty" pictures of it in action.

You may also be interested in an article in the collectors corner of the issue called "Wrecks to Riches" about a man called Roy Leetham from Hook in South Yorkshire. He has done some fantastic conversions and made his own versions of the MF 2720 and 2775, both in two wheel drive. He has also made numerous Counties, a Muir Hill 101 and 161, A J.J. Thomas Ninety Five 100 (Ford Based), a Ford 3000 and for the lovers of the newer New Holland tractors, he has made an articulated New Holland TV 140. Brilliant looking stuff. :P:-*

just found this to add...what they typically look like nowadays (still a purposeful-looking machine)

pity the Britains doesn't have the long air cleaner, but it would be prone to damage

post-256-132638577784_thumb.jpg

Here the other side... this was in the day when nobody seemed to mind a single opening door...

Oh yes they did!  ::):D  that's why eventually they made the 2 door cabs for the 590 etc. I suppose being French built the laid back (French) farmers couldn't give a stuff about the waste of time having to walk right round. ;):)

Oh yes they did!  ::):D  that's why eventually they made the 2 door cabs for the 590 etc. I suppose being French built the laid back (French) farmers couldn't give a stuff about the waste of time having to walk right round. ;):)

The reason for single cab doors was a safety issue. When safety cabs were required to be fitted (To all tractors manufactured after 1st April 1972) a few tractor cab makers tried to build in more safety features, one being these single door entry and exit cabs (Duncan for one). The door was usually on the opposite side from the brake controls (hand and foot) but was not mandatory and made these cabs cheaper to produce.

Did you know that the NAIE and ROSPA purchased some early saftey cabbed tractors recently to carry out tests on the cabs to see if they would now stand the test conditions that was initially carried out on them when they were new. Out of all these the worst was the MF 200, 300 & 500 series cabs failing from rusted weld joints. The NIAE and ROSPA suggested to the Health And Safety Inspectorate that legislation should be considered for all second-hand safety cabbed tractors sold by dealers and the private sector to carry a certificate of inspection . Nothing has come of it as yet.

What do the regulations state ?

I did test work on buses many many years ago and we used to prove them for a specific load laid on the roof, but it was obvious that a sideload (ie from rolling) would just cause it to collapse - but at the time, that wasn't required !

And the later 2725 electrionic... was D reg about 1987 ish  ???

i think so, it was a bargin buy as the 3650 was due out so they got the 2725 cheep, it was a hell of a machine for its time, foot throttle between the clutch and brakes :o, i looked into buying my grandads tractor when i saw it for sale but it wasnt really suited to flailing due to its size, hp.

yes your right it was 147hp, was a step up when they got the 3655 at 155 hp, they put a press on the plough due to extra power to man it. the 3655 was traded for a jd 7810 (193hp on dyno :o) sadley for all you mf fans the whole mf fleet has given way to 3 jd's a 6920, 7710, 7810 (except the 575 for loader/foster backactor work) and then my jd 3040 is hired in when needed :o

What do the regulations state ?

I did test work on buses many many years ago and we used to prove them for a specific load laid on the roof, but it was obvious that a sideload (ie from rolling) would just cause it to collapse - but at the time, that wasn't required !

If my memory serves me right the regulations stated that a tractor safety cab should comply to a certain standard having an 'approved for use with' plate fixed to the frame of the cab. This plate is like a 'VIN' plate that has the date of manufacture, cab serial number and the tractor make and model(s) that it is approved for. (Some 'common-rail cabs were fitted to several different tractors in a model range and also on different makes of tractors with just the mudguard/floorpan differences). The approval mark is a large triangle with a crown inside it. A lot of people now take this for granted as of course all tractors have cabs and they have never noticed this plate, look around the cab and it will be found on it somewhere. This plate, especially on early cabbed tractors also have the name of the manufacturers on it, Secura, Duncan, etc. All tractors made after 21st April 1972 were required by law to be fitted with these cabs and further legislation stated that the in-cab noise level should not exceed 98db (decabels).

I think you can access this information on the relevant web-site, I will try and find it.

thanks for that marky & good to see the members thoughts on what they thought of the model & the real deal .

britains 2680;

the model in my eyes was one of the best tractors britains ever tried to recreate , the scale was spot on & was well built , sheme they went cheap & used white plastic instead of carrying on with the grey & decided not to include a glass insert , other than that it was a good cast that worked well into the 36series , models , just a shame britains didn't spend a bit more to get the cab & floorpan right  :(

MASSEYS 2680;

have driven the 2640 2680 & the 2720, spent more time on the 40 really 2wd & 4wd equally but they're much of a muchness really, big purposefull tractors , which will take a fair bit of punishment ,albeit slow & cumbersome . not really any slower that any other 30K tractor but sat high up & such a large tractor , gave the feeling of plodding clumsiness, cant agree with marky on the cab as althoug it was large , it didnt feel all that big , good point was that a good size cantelever toolbox could be slid in beside the left hand side of the seat quite comfortably. best suited for heavy applications given it's weight , & a good ploughing tractor , & in a 2wd with hedge trimmer it just sits there on any slope giving confidence to the driver that on sideling ground it's not going to go over too easily , even on steep ground it's heavy enough to not run away down the hill !

as for a place to spend the day , it's still a nice place to be  :)

ive drove most models, 2620, 2640, 2645, 2680, 2725, both 2 and 4 wd on most models, we descrided the gearbox as a crunch one, you here a crunch and it selects a gear. the 2640 my dad drove was called the german bomber as my grandad said it sounded like the drone of german bomber planes from the second world war from a distance :o

i really like the britains 2680 4wd version, it looks great, even better with the mudguards removed and wing mirors fitted and painted the correct colour

ive drove most models, 2620, 2640, 2645, 2680, 2725, both 2 and 4 wd on most models, we descrided the gearbox as a crunch one, you here a crunch and it selects a gear. the 2640 my dad drove was called the german bomber as my grandad said it sounded like the drone of german bomber planes from the second world war from a distance :o

i really like the britains 2680 4wd version, it looks great, even better with the mudguards removed and wing mirors fitted and painted the correct colour

Pics please Mike  :P

• 2 weeks later...

i drove the 2680 one sumer and i must say it was a good tractor to drive. i liked the gear leavers being on the side instead of between your legs like the 590's and 290's . the bad point was it was like sitting in a green house and the radio was stuck on radio five. the britains model looked right and still to this day is one of their best models .

Very interesting marky a very good read thank you :D

Any idea on the amount of 26 and 27's sold marky ???

Not a clue Phil... sorry mate... I will try to find out for you though  :-\

So... I reckon we are about ready for the next topic now... will it be the 35... the 135 or the 595.. what do you reckon  ???

the 590 is the one to go for as it was and still is a strong little tractor

But a shame that they have the garbage multi power

How many people have had a brown trouser experience with it in low going down a hill :-\ :-\ :o

And as for the 2000 series    They are still a great tractor to drive    Well my 2640 is

Britains get it right with the front wheels of the model as they are the same size as the 135's rears in real life unlike the 5610 ford they made

• 1 month later...