jdc

After lots of fiddly wee repairs and cleaning, finally got to the chassis painting stage today. Intended taking the cab off, but there were too many hoses and connections to break on a 20 yr old tractor so didn't!

Hopefully another coat tomorrow....

post-300-132638599669_thumb.jpg

post-300-132638599674_thumb.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what bought all this on then john ? did she need rebuilding , or just a case of putting in a bit of new life ?

The sheet metal  (door botoms etc) was getting a bit rust on it and if I didn't do something it would be a big job. She's only got 7000 hours on the clock and is probably my favourite  :D

Blimey John... she is getting the full works mate  ;) - Only a REALLY BRAVE man... or a flipping nutter... would take that cab off  :o

I bet she will look lovely when she is finished  ;D

Well I was halfway there before I chickened out.

Oooh tell us more about this lovely machine, the mainstay of Lackham College tractor fleet for years!! Wonderful little tractor the 3065.  :)

Well she's 20, I bought her new and she's been seen 290s, 399s, 3085s etc come and go but still trundles on.

Fair play to you John - pressure is on now to get it all finished before the long hours start again ;)

Cheers Colm - good warm  weather for painting too.

Got the second coat on today and that 'only' leaves the silver to do - then polish the dashboard....

I sweep the floor at least twice a year.  :D

she will look the dogs   when shes finished  we just brought our 7840 in to do the nose but now we have changed and are painting the lot wont be long and she'l be out  :)

Can we see some pics when she's finished mate :)

should look great when finished, when i was at the mf main agents we often lifted the cabs off 3600 trators for gear box/ back end faults, not too bad a job im told.

7000 hrs, our work mf 3070 has over 14500 hrs and still going strong on original engine :o having said that, the doors are hanging by a thread and no electics work in the cab (except hitch etc) true stock mans tractor now i guess.

please show pics when ya tractor is fully painted (our 3070 is ment to be been restored ::))

The sheet metal  (door botoms etc) was getting a bit rust on it and if I didn't do something it would be a big job. She's only got 7000 hours on the clock and is probably my favourite  :D

all this work is a bit excessive just to cure the tinworm in the doors john :D :D but they do get rusty very quickly , shame really as it's a massey trait , just like fords bubble cab doors never closed properly after a years or so & the rust around the windows  :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I started tidying this up at the turn of the year and got finished just as harvest started - she should be good for another 6500 hrs!

Didn't touch the engine, but did the handbrake, trailer brakes, etc and put some wider tyres on as well which saves putting duals on now. She did all the rolling and some trailer work.  :)

post-300-132638662961_thumb.jpg

post-300-132638663002_thumb.jpg

Not a huge amount to be honest, it should've been traded in 3 years ago, but I decided it was worth more to me, so I kept her.

She does a bit fertiliser or thistle spraying, topping, and trailer work but shes not 40k.

you can swap the gear cogs around to make it over 40k ;) were i used to work had a 3070, 30k box, had the original gearbox cogs swaped about and it made it a little pocket rocket (had 3000 hrs at the time, now has 15000hrs and no problems gear box wise :o) goes over 40k on the road :D

your tractor looks spot on, keep up the good work