Whats on your workbench???

14 minutes ago, 844john said:

Henri does do waterslide Martin.....trouble is it seems to be a six week plus waiting time at the moment..

Hats good to know john, there are a few i'd like done in waterslide. Hopefully he gets caught up a bit. 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:35 PM, mb86 said:

Been tinkering with weathering. I had a lot of help and advice from Paul (valley axe man) who has a 16th scale scammel lowloader and from Sam at Cheshire farm models who gave me good advice on the weathering. The nature of their job means even a brand new lowloader wouldn't stay clean for long so an old one would look knackered. Still a little bit of finishing of to do like pipes and a set of wheels so I can return these to the britains cattle and mixer lorry a that are currently sat on axle stands but think it looks ok for a first attempt. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very well done Martin, still to try weathering myself, but every time I see something like this it makes me want to dive in

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tabmodels said:

Very well done Martin, still to try weathering myself, but every time I see something like this it makes me want to dive in

Thanks Ian. It isn't something I'll be doing on very many models as I generally like them shiny and clean but I did enjoy it once I had a bit of advice. 

• Like 1

“I emailed them twice possibly three times, not even a reply to say out of production, it’s not that I’m not willing to pay - pretty poor customer relations

What problem do you have with the decals? I have this kit, partially built, well, assuming it’s the County, so could scan the decals for you if it would help? Can’t help with the printing, I’m afraid though.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:35 PM, mb86 said:

Been tinkering with weathering. I had a lot of help and advice from Paul (valley axe man) who has a 16th scale scammel lowloader and from Sam at Cheshire farm models who gave me good advice on the weathering. The nature of their job means even a brand new lowloader wouldn't stay clean for long so an old one would look knackered. Still a little bit of finishing of to do like pipes and a set of wheels so I can return these to the britains cattle and mixer lorry a that are currently sat on axle stands but think it looks ok for a first attempt. 

image.jpg

That's come out great Martin, really smart work

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not got a lot done over the last 3 weeks as I slipped with a Stanley knife and did my hand in but getting better. Put some front wheels off a Britains case jx1075c on my McCormick, they seem to fit pretty well just need painting :) IMG_8422.thumb.JPG.cd4e6bc8ff001f92583a3b3f4a58d7a0.JPG

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, 844john said:

my bench has been taken over by casting....will no doubt make the next builds easier though!

WP_20190511_14_15_36_Pro.jpg

I might have to raid the piggy bank and place an order

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, dm434 said:

I might have to raid the piggy bank and place an order

It's just a pile of bits at the moment David, but I'm ever the optimist ( no matter what our lot all say!):D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Ford bonnets!!!!! Very exciting, what's the plan for them?

I've said it before Martin, you don't miss much!;) I've wanted to do a  2wd 4610 with the LP cab like the one I learned to cut grass on when i was 15, but the front grill was proving tricky to replicate, so i took one of the 7810's apart and cast the bonnet, grill, and skid. The bonnet can be shortened for the 46, and I'm just working out the best way to cast the 78's cab as i also fancy doing a few other Fords, .....can't believe I've said that....better go and sit in a dark room for a while!:o

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, 844john said:

It's just a pile of bits at the moment David, but I'm ever the optimist ( no matter what our lot all say!):D

55 minutes ago, 844john said:

every thing starts as a pile of bits , you have the vision to put it all together 

35 minutes ago, 844john said:

I've said it before Martin, you don't miss much!;) I've wanted to do a  2wd 4610 with the LP cab like the one I learned to cut grass on when i was 15, but the front grill was proving tricky to replicate, so i took one of the 7810's apart and cast the bonnet, grill, and skid. The bonnet can be shortened for the 46, and I'm just working out the best way to cast the 78's cab as i also fancy doing a few other Fords, .....can't believe I've said that....better go and sit in a dark room for a while!:o

I try not to, especially ford related:D. That sounds very exciting, especially with the standard of your other builds. Are you trying to tell us that you are really a massive ford fan and can't hold it in any longer??? I knew you'd see the light eventually. 

The UH cab is under scaled by a couple of mil in all directions, the recent britains is the nearest out of the 3 (UH and Marge) and probably the easiest to dismantle and cast. 

• Like 1

Just now, mb86 said:

I try not to, especially ford related:D. That sounds very exciting, especially with the standard of your other builds. Are you trying to tell us that you are really a massive ford fan and can't hold it in any longer??? I knew you'd see the light eventually. 

The UH cab is under scaled by a couple of mil in all directions, the recent britains is the nearest out of the 3 (UH and Marge) and probably the easiest to dismantle and cast. 

I blame it on spending too much time on the blue buggers!:D Actually, I loved the 46, it had the Rubik cube gearbox but i took to it straight away and found it better than sticks on the floor. I can also remember a farm where i also helped out as a lad getting a brand new 6640....it was fantastic, I didn't want to get back on their other Case's when that came, but i soon grew out of that little episode! 

Thanks for the info about the Q cabs Martin, I've got a few britains ones sat around so I'll have a look at them, the uh looks like it would be a pain to cast!

• Like 1

For the cab the method you'll want is squish/squash casting, not sure of you've looked into much but this video sums it up,

Should be fine as long as the cab doesn't curve back in too much making it difficult to remove the solidified resin part from the mould. If it does its possible to make the core part of the mould 'the bit that you push in' flexible by putting a card box into the mould that can be removed allowing you to flex the mould out, hopefully photos speak better than words, this is a mould for a truck cab.

15575920033151003042316.thumb.jpg.d6527a3f0074b71c00bb72f39aa94a87.jpg

1557592033359388610013.thumb.jpg.f3720cca7d538f5744b9d157c41b9303.jpg

15575920636511023564930.thumb.jpg.5f59c05c017003f591693d29c8a60d3b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a brilliant idea thanks James, i will certainly give that a try. I have watched that video before and found it very useful , i was just deciding if i have enough patience for all that filling and moulding!:D

• Like 1