Ebay... Crazy prices... useful links etc.

THEBRITFARMER

Guest quangova

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=741&item=6950377068&rd=1

Questionable photograph, boxed one went for ?102 earlier today, 1 hour to go and their already up to ?92. I would suggest shill bidding but there seems to be no link.

If you look at the feedback for all the bidders on this item they have bought a variety of items from different sellers, which dosent suggest shill bidding to me.  A lot of it with eBay is luck of the draw in the past i had 2 perfect mint boxed examples of the Smallford Planter for sale, one went for ?14 and the next week the other sold for ?41...!

If you look at the feedback for all the bidders on this item they have bought a variety of items from different sellers, which dosent suggest shill bidding to me.? A lot of it with eBay is luck of the draw in the past i had 2 perfect mint boxed examples of the Smallford Planter for sale, one went for ?14 and the next week the other sold for ?41...!

I have to agree with quangova, I have achieved some outragous amounts for items I have sold, eg; ?60 plus for a massey combine, ?50 for a hew holland baler, ?144 for a mb trac, this list goes on!

It will just be a link to a seller, If you look hard enough, you will probably find the person the link takes you to, my 10yr old son bought a link to someone who was selling on ebay the other week, he thought he was buying a Lance Armstrong wrist band, he was well upset when he realised he had been fleeced out of nearly ?7. :o :o

Guest MF 550

The problem with ebay is-

It is not a true valuation of britains farm toys

more and more people are hearing about the website thus selling there items on there individually (at a toy fair recently dealers said they were stuggling to find collections to purchase)

at one time you could go to a car boot sale and pick up items fairly cheap (not any more)

you might find a rare model to fulfill your collection but try buying it

some certain bidders-no names mentioned will knock you out on older mint boxed items time and time again (i would like to know who funchemist is)

Guest MF 550

Lets hope there is plenty at spalding next month

One thing worth buying there-stroll loaders ?3 each in 3 variations muck fork,bale squeezer,bucket.

drill two holes in the bonnet of most tractors and you have a great loader tractor of your choice.

Guest quangova

There was a recent programme on the TV about eBay and the effect its having on the traditional antique dealers, lots are going out of business.. good for people power, cut out the middleman and stop lining their pockets.. thats what i say.

As for prices, if ya want it you pay the odds... but theres still bargins to be had if your lucky or in the know.

Ebay is fast becoming a "cheaper" way to get hold of Britains. At these big commercial auctions like Vectis, lacey Scott, Cheffins and Wallis and Wallis etc, some items are making much more than they would on ebay.

For example, there was a boxed ford super major, normally makes up to ?200 on ebay, went to ?285 at a lacy scott sale! At that same sale a monged up cattle feeding parlour made ?65!

In my opinion the best places to get hold of stuff on the cheap now are: Local auctions, toy fairs and car boots if your very lucky.

Guest quangova

I agree with you on that point Andy, Ive been to many sales and toy fairs where the price of Britains have far exceeded those on eBay + with eBay you get wide fluctuations in prices from day to day as you do at any auction.  I still find plenty of Brit (old stock) stuff all over the place...!

There was a recent programme on the TV about eBay and the effect its having on the traditional antique dealers, lots are going out of business.. good for people power, cut out the middleman and stop lining their pockets.. thats what i say.

As for prices, if ya want it you pay the odds... but theres still bargins to be had if your lucky or in the know.

yeah i remember watching that program. The guy who had to close his shop down cause of ebay is now selling on ebay and making more money!!!

There are still bargains on ebay, i picked up a st110 irrigator (blue old vesion) for ?3.50....the other month it was ?25, its just timing and luck i guess?!