Ebay... Crazy prices... useful links etc.

THEBRITFARMER

Take a model tractor outside and roll the wheels through some mud and call it a conversion (sorry if it's someone on here that's done this but come on the mud is even falling off it already)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Farm-model-/251811313711?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item3aa11fb82f

yeah thats poor

it is however a fendt 724, with proper 3 point linkages, wasn't someone on here after one of them??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: cant remember who it was though??? >:D,if it is just mud, which looking at the pics I doubt by the textures on the side walls ,plus fuel tank etc, it will wash off

it is however a fendt 724, with proper 3 point linkages, wasn't someone on here after one of them??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: cant remember who it was though??? >:D,if it is just mud, which looking at the pics I doubt by the textures on the side walls ,plus fuel tank etc, it will wash off

im holding out for a wiking one Sean

Funny thing is Barry, everyone on the f-f-facing of the booking was saying that it wouldn't be worth trying to sell a scratch built one seems as USK are bringing theirs out, well 99p to £94 in a day shows them I guess.

Also been looking for a way to get those welly trucks for ages so thankyou

That's what i thought, good luck to the seller i say, cash in whilst you can :)

Ive got 2 of the lorry's (with the trailer though) they are a really good detail model, was tempted to buy 10 and sell them for double the price, but that would'nt be very sporting!!!

Classic example of why you need to watch the postage prices, the model has a cheap starting price but £9 for postage is highly excessive. :of :of

This will cost £2.80 to post so add a bit on for packaging and charge £3.50...... daylight robbery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITAINS-HURLIMANN-SX1500-TRACTOR-1-32-SCALE-/331460043736?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item4d2c8ee3d8

• Like 1

I've been stung on postage from different angles in this situation.

A You put postage low and the item sells high, you send it cheap with no proof of delivery, you risk that the item "goes missing"

B You put postage low and the item sells high, you send it with proof of delivery and you loose money for the extra cost of a signature and insurance cover

C You put postage high and the items sells low, you look like your ripping the buyer off!!!

D You put postage high and the item sells high, your covered!

Using MyHermes (using this example as it has happened to me)

The item sells for £150.00 and you have insurance on the delivery, 

£2.48 postage

£0.85 for a signature on delivery

£6.50 insurance cover

£1.97 VAT

£11.80 total (I quoted £5.00 - i lost an extra £6.80 on the delivery due to the item selling for a high price)

PP_zps1db62863.jpg

With eBay now charging there fees to include delivery costs, ive seen delivery costs go up.

It's a shame, i've got loads of models I want to sell on eBay, but hesitant due to the costs involves, you basically loose 20% to fees :(

Might get one off them  lorrys as I ve got a trailer here  & you don't see many if any 1/32 lorrys ,

im not sure but  are ebay looking at the sellers also cover ing the return cost as well ???? of an item -  given over with my selling on there  for a good while now as have a few I know ,

Barry

I understand your dilemma and I would agree with you about items that can potentially sell for high prices, I have no problem setting p & p at a reasonable rate for tracked and insured postage. However, this is a Britains model that is unlikely to make more than £20 and it is also under the 450gramme limit so can be posted by Royal Mail for £2.80. Hermes would charge more but that is the sellers choice.

As a buyer I just get angry when I see sellers trying to make up their margins, and the ebay charges, by charging excessive postage rather than by being open and honest and starting the item at a higher price. I was drawn to this one as it is a model that I would consider buying to add to the SDF collection.

The whole ebay charges are a pain in the but ....I have been selling on there for years and now they charge a % on the postage cost as well ,so once you take the paypal payment you are charged a total of 20% on the total sale and postage cost , I do see some expensive postage costs and understand the problems / frustration ,,,but the strange one for me is how the hell do some of the sellers on there sell say ,,, a standerd Siku model including postage free and still be competitive with price against retail price and other traders selling the same model plus postage ,,, and I know what the trade price is even with bulk buying and discount incentives,,, they can only be making aprox £4.00 a model ? Then pay the tax man ,,

If you look on my ebay account my prices are marked up to accomandate the ebay / paypal fees but postage is reasonable,, then I have to send every thing recorded delivery so I am coved on the paypal buisness policy ,,, I as a buisness can not afford to sell on eBay and charge the same price as I do at the shows / web site ,,

If any one wants any thing off me that you see on eBay I can always do a better price via my web site or even better contact me directly ,

• Like 5

eBay charging the same % on postage as the auction end final price has only been in effect for just over a year this was to discourage sellers making up the eBay fees or extra income on the postage as you have seen more so in the past ,, but by the looks of it some sellers are still charging over and above for postage ,,, eBay and PayPal are benefiting from this ,,, there are lots of things wrong with eBay and I am so glad other auction sites as well as Facebook are taking off to compete with eBay , this might bring things in to line for all ,

On the new ray trucks they do look good and I am pleased to see new Ray and other company's are do more with the 1/32 scale trucks as Siku have discontinued the push along Scania low loader set last year ,,,

Classic example of why you need to watch the postage prices, the model has a cheap starting price but £9 for postage is highly excessive. :of :of

This will cost £2.80 to post so add a bit on for packaging and charge £3.50...... daylight robbery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITAINS-HURLIMANN-SX1500-TRACTOR-1-32-SCALE-/331460043736?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item4d2c8ee3d8

recently posted a spalding massey I sold on ebay and because the box was an inch higher than royal mails new sizing rules never mind it was half the other dimensions couldn't be sent as a small package and went large and cost £8.00 to post yet the week before a uh in the same size outer box went for £2.80 depends how strict the person in the post office is

do people actually look on ebay,example, 2 britains, identical tractors,both boxed,exactly the same,16 hours apart from when the both auctions ended,one at £13.00 no bids,and the other had 16 bids and at £40.00,look around you doughnuts,there is a lot of difference between £13.00 and £40.00

Edited by paulali
  • Like 4