bomford super trim

been after a good bushwhacker for the layout for a while now, did buy a scaledown one, but it was way to heavy for the Britain's chassis i wanted to use it on, so downloaded a pic the other day of one i found on eBay, needed to keep awake today so went in the shed and produced this.

has taken 2 hrs so far, all plastic so very light, but still had to put a bit of lead in the hydraulic box to stop it coming of the siku adaptor frame it sits on when it was out full length at low level , has a hole through the siku bits that so i can pin it in place as a saftey .

got to make the flails ,getting some very fine cheap silver neckless stuff tommorrow hopefully for this glue it to a plastic tube for the effect ,and once painted add the hydro hoses, tractor will get a mesh screen for the door and bonnet guard, and control lever insdie the cab ,although i may make another 575 for it so i can have a purpose made door etc for the fittings??

first few of the mount mechanism, and basic structure

frame is made from 2.4mm square box, widened at the ends for the knuckle joints/ pivot points

supertrim1.jpg

supertrim2.jpg

supertrim3.jpg

in the transport position next

supertrim4.jpg

supertrim5.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's beauuuuutiful Sean, fantastic start  :o. One question, is the geometry right on the ram on the cutting head, we had an old Bomford and while you couldn't cut over a hedge that well with the top mounted pivot [not like on the rear mount pivot you get on a McConnell head], it would tweak down a bit further? Can't wait to see this finished, a good hedgetrimmer is a hell of a thing to see done, would love to do one. Particularly impressed with the Plastistrut rams, didn't think the tolerances were fine enough to make those up out of it. How will you get on painting the piston rod silver?

Looks superb, nice one.  ;D

That's beauuuuutiful Sean, fantastic start  :o. One question, is the geometry right on the ram on the cutting head, we had an old Bomford and while you couldn't cut over a hedge that well with the top mounted pivot [not like on the rear mount pivot you get on a McConnell head], it would tweak down a bit further? Can't wait to see this finished, a good hedgetrimmer is a hell of a thing to see done, would love to do one. Particularly impressed with the Plastistrut rams, didn't think the tolerances were fine enough to make those up out of it. How will you get on painting the [glow=red,2,300]piston rod silver?[/glow]

Looks superb, nice one.  ;D

you could try this chrome effect paint you get in the model shops think my tub is humbrol name could be wrong

Its not quite right on that ram but can still be moved about only had a pic of one sat rear on in a barn to go on but to be honest its not to far out from what i can tell ? . The rams are hopefully going to go chrome the outter sleves are .01 of a mm wider than the core so paint should go if not i can get silver rod the same size or temp leave them white

looking great, all that in 2 hrs! :o :o what model super trim is it designed on? cant wait to see it finished ;D

couldnt tell you mike, the pic didnt have the logos ect on, just said bomford supertrim under it, any ideas of the model numbers they did???

not sure on the model sean, i had a supertrim 470 and the tank was totally different, it looks very much like my dads b54x except he has a cranked second arm so could be a b54, will look through my bomford info ;)

as tris said, get it cast in white metal, its a super looking flail ;) i for one would buy it

LOoking great mate and will finnish off the farm a little more, I have some plans at foot for two more McConnels but no time yet.

Have you got some decals on order?

Will be watching with interest.

LOoking great mate and will finnish off the farm a little more, I have some plans at foot for two more McConnels but no time yet.

Have you got some decals on order?

Will be watching with interest.

not until mike can give me a model number jez, like i say built it from one pic and guess work, i could change the tank easy enough to make it a different model mind,.

got the ally rod today for the rams, so no need to paint them now, paint the body ect, fit that for rams, easy life, however didnt get any chain for the flails unfortunatly, couldnt find anything that looked right

Now Sean I will not have you upsetting me, not at my age.... :'( :'(  I'm pming you sending my yankee address, be sure to put insurance on it and send it direct I know you understand and wouldnt want your yank pal having heart failure...I will feel much better when I attach that tidy little rig to one of my McCormicks..........

Thank you very much "Mr. Sausage and Mash"....................