• £ 500 to £ 600
    • £ 601 to £ 700
    • £ 701 to £ 800
    • £ 801 to £ 900
    • £ 901 to £ 1,000

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mark no I suppose not but dad is getting older ( 80th year ) and slower but it has to be done the way he did it when he was a joiner with his father and two brothers. I was quering why go to the bother of bevelling the backings when it came to making the doors and I was told he had always done it that way and this one would be done the same. I wasn't convinced with this answer so I asked why the need for bevels to be told that rain water would run off if the doors left open. I rest my case.

Never mind at lest I have a bench saw that will cut bevels so it should not be too bad if I can get the angle right ;) ;)

good going bill, yer dads shed looks 'proper' & no mistake !

got to get used to all this new scot's lingo though , was expecting to see a glamourous assistant when gale was mentioned & dwang ? what on earths a dwang ?

No glamerous assistant I'm afraid Marcus ;D ;D

Dwang a good Scottish word and here is the definition

A Noggin (England, Australia) or Dwang (Scotland, New Zealand) is a horizontal bracing piece used between wall studs or floor joists to give rigidity to the ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwang

Well I took delivery of my profile sheets and barges ( flashings ) on Thursday afternoon but all the packing was soaked through with the rain so on Fiday evening I opened them up and put the barges and 2 sheets into the garage and the 3rd profile sheet into the shed so they could dry off.

056092009001.jpg

The two pairs of gloves the socket for fixing the screws and stichers and the colour caps

056092009002.jpg

The eve fillers

056092009003.jpg

On sheet in the shed

056092009004.jpg

Took some photos of the way the garage and other shed profile was done

056092009005.jpg

What a waste of a 20 foot sheet for the last short lap but that was the way it turned out.

056092009006.jpg

Now on this one I had to cut of a bit and then put it back in a a support.

056092009007.jpg

Well Saturday the 5th of September and I have laid out the sheets to ensure the three will cover 121 - 1/4 inches which will be the finished size of my shed roof.

056092009008.jpg

056092009009.jpg

Cutting bevelled fillers for in between couples

056092009010.jpg

Bevelled fillers between couples attached by "chick nailing" to couples

056092009011.jpg

056092009012.jpg

All weatherbaorading on apart from on front doors sides and "lintel"

056092009013.jpg

Sunday 6th September

Now my dad always like to make things sectional in case they have ever to be dismantled. I've told him I have no intentions of doing that and it will either be moved as one or sold with the "place" ;) ;)

Having said that  I let him do its his own way and the roof will be made in two sections so the center board need to be cut and attached separatly to the two side by sided bolted together middle couples.

056092009019.jpg

Now on with the roof board. Have use moisture resistant tounge and grooved boards since they are smaller and easier handled than 8 foot x 4 foot sterling board and they were cheaper too ;) ;)

056092009020.jpg

056092009021.jpg

056092009022.jpg

Still on the roof boards

056092009023.jpg

056092009024.jpg

Roof boards now all on. Need to get the weather board complete on teh front door and lintel before getting the felt on since will need to raise the first roof board to get the angle of the last weather board correctly cut.

Profile and saw in shed and covered up again until next week end

056092009025.jpg

056092009026.jpg

Now a chance to have a wee bonfire on Sunday evening and burn up some of the small wood offcuts and get rid of teh "tattie shaws" too ;) ;)

056092009027.jpg

how far would have you gotten if yer da wasn't there to help & don't ignore his instructions , as you'll be as bad one day  :D

my dad was a toolmaker , so as per  i cant just sling a shelf on the wall in two minutes even i take 3-4 hours to drill 2 holes  :D :D

AH Bill Mr Duncan will be pleased to see the advertising ;D

Very good product they actually make garden sheds as well now.

They plough a lot of money into Buckie Thistle football club, were involved with the new club house and social club that is roffed with that cladding as well ::)

how far would have you gotten if yer da wasn't there to help & don't ignore his instructions , as you'll be as bad one day  :D

my dad was a toolmaker , so as per  i cant just sling a shelf on the wall in two minutes even i take 3-4 hours to drill 2 holes  :D :D

My dad is very pernickety and his slowness does infuriate me at times but then again he is getting old and I am a trifle impatient because I like to get on and get things done. There were a few heated moments over the two weeks but at the end of the day he has been a great help to me with the project.

AH Bill Mr Duncan will be pleased to see the advertising ;D

Very good product they actually make garden sheds as well now.

They plough a lot of money into Buckie Thistle football club, were involved with the new club house and social club that is roffed with that cladding as well ::)

Yes it is a good product and very easy to fit for the DIY person Rob. Yes I knew the two brothers Mark and Murray were into Buckie football club big time. Mark was saying it was his dad who dealt with the garages and the shed side of things and he dealt with the roofing orders and Murray on the transportation / delivery side of the business. The workers make the sheets Monday to Wednesday and then they are the drivers of the lorries that do the deliveries on a Thursday and Friday.

Well with the cancellation of the Scottish Vintage Vehicle Rally at Scone Place near Perth this weekend I should be able to progress more on the shed.

Now I want you to look at the next few pictures and tell me why dad has left the weatherboarding short on both of the corners at the rear gale (GABLE for Marcus ) 

There are reasons and in fact there are two correct answers

11092009001.jpg   

11092009002.jpg

11092009003.jpg

Totally amazing I have loved watching this topic from start to Finish keep the photos coming when you going to fill it up  :)

Glad you have enjoyed it Mike....I always like to have a photographic record of the projects I do ;D

Well the next stage will be to get the weatherboarding on the front door posts and over the lintel. If we can or if dad can get that done today and its a fine sunny day tomorrow we could maybe get the roof felt on on Sunday. If that were to go to plan then I have a day off on Monday we could in theory get the roof sheets on on Monday and then that would leave the flashings. I'm sure dad will probably enlist a third hand for that so he can sight then to see they look right ;) ;)

After that that will leave the two doors. The way he does this is to put on the 3 backings with hangers and then starts putting on the linings accross the whole front and only cuts the middle at the last minute. Then the braces which will be bevelled too will go on and lastly the hinges which will be heavy duty galvinised ones from Screwfix.

After that need to get some concreting done inside the old shack before it gets dismantled and the new one is shoved in to place with the use of small rollers

I have managed to dig out some old photos of my grandfathers lorry which was used to delivery the hen houses they made. Its a 3 way Austin and dad is the one on the right with his elder brother David ( Ditz) with the huge bonnet on.

12092009001.jpg

Look at the overhang

12092009002.jpg

I still have grandads sign he used for the shows they attended

12092009003.jpg

12092009004.jpg

Well father has arrived and once he gets fed and watered with his buttery and cheese and cup of coffee we need to get this show on the road because the sun is now up and we won't get much done spending time on here ;) ;)

well I don't know how old this orange Black and Decker drill is but the switch blew last weekend.I had bought a similar one afew years back at an autojumbke with a saw attachment for a fiver so it was merly a cas of changing over the front bitty so I could use it in the old drill stand for countersinking.

12092009005.jpg

Slowly but surley they are growing in height.

12092009006.jpg

The pillar drill is used for boring prior to countersinking

12092009007.jpg

12092009008.jpg

Only 3 run on so far

12092009009.jpg

Well with the cancellation of the Scottish Vintage Vehicle Rally at Scone Place near Perth this weekend I should be able to progress more on the shed.

Now I want you to look at the next few pictures and tell me why dad has left the weatherboarding short on both of the corners at the rear gale (GABLE for Marcus ) 

There are reasons and in fact there are two correct answers

have no idea ? so i'm going to guess

so you can fit an end strip so it can be removed & the ends can be treated properly ?

so that the sides can swell & contract without distorting the shed ?

the wrong measurement was taken & you're half inch sort on all corners ?

funnily enough bill, i was just thinking about my grandad's old orange black & decker drill on friday ! when he died i had his  drill which i burnt out in the end  :(  i also had the sanding attatchment & the hedge trimmer attatchment to go with it , i gave them away to a neighbour who had the newer blue type but it all fitted !

Well Marcus your first quess was the closest effectively it is a corner piece to hide the end wood on the weatherboarding, In this particular instance it was fior maximum use of the weatherboarding to save having joins.

All arithmetical once again.

The weatherboarding i got was 5.1 meters long which equates to 201 inches.

The length of the shed is 9 foot 10 inches = 118 inches and the width is 7 foot which comes to 84 inches, That two pieces totals 202 inches and we only had 201 inches in a length hence the need to make shorter and use corner pieces. Dad said Grandad always thought corner pieces had a  nicer look to them.

very nice work there bil and bills dad

was looking through this topic last night and was proply told by the wife looking over my shoulder

no i couldnt have a nother shed full stop  ;)::):o:P:-*

but yours looks brill might have to hide one somewhere in the garden or wait till she goesto here mums for a week :P :P :P :P :P;)

Archived