• £ 500 to £ 600
    • £ 601 to £ 700
    • £ 701 to £ 800
    • £ 801 to £ 900
    • £ 901 to £ 1,000

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry Bill... Expanded Polystyrene... the little round balls all pressed into a solid block.. like Uh packaging

I know the stuff you mean Mark ...I ain't hot on anograms ;)

Thanks for that I will make enquiries

you cant have much more room to shed over now can you bill???? neighbours must love you all them sheds sat there in their view

Well the plot size I have is farily big in comparison to plot sizes of new house builds of today Sean. Mind you my place was built 22 years ago. As for space no I would manage another shed if I did away with the vegetable plot. That would mean taking down the brickwork for the cold frame so that is always an option for the future.I live in a Crescent so the neighbours at the front don't see them or neither do the neighbous at both sides since shed are hidden by neighbours garage and my garage.The only folk who really see the small tool shed are the two neighbours at the back and they have never complained about even the temporay building that has been up for over two years now.

You've been busy Bill........Good work........ :);)

Thanks Mart...its getting there...only got 3 sides Butinoxed with the 3rd coat of stain yesterday before I got bored silly and when away on a recovery job.

Friday 18th September 2009 and I managed to get the 3rd coat of Butinox on tree sides excluding the high side before getting the bordedom factor.

Saturday 19th September 2009 and the last board goes on the front

19092009001.jpg

Felt is rolled out to make it more plyable

19092009002.jpg

19092009003.jpg

Adhesive on for 1st run of felt

19092009004-1.jpg

19092009005.jpg

Onwards and upwards and the second run of adhesive applied allowing an 8 inch overlap

19092009006.jpg

The calculations great thing a blackboard and chalk

19092009007.jpg

2nd run of adhesive on

19092009008.jpg

No tacks on roof only on sides of

19092009009.jpg

19092009010.jpg

Well that's the felt on sometidy ups etc needed to be done on Sunday but that should be the roof watertight and can dispense with the Curtainsider cover and ropes and barrels of water.

I have the day off on Friday since my car goes in for a service and the plan is to get dad and his brother Jim to give me a hand with the profile sheeting. Easier with me on the roof and them just handing stuff up and making sure everything looks right from the ground.

19092009011.jpg

19092009012.jpg

19092009013.jpg

Sunday 20th September 2009 started with a chill almost a frosty feel to the day and certainly a dew on the shed roof. Last night before we finished I had coated the seams / joins of the felt and then put wide masking tape on top then boards then still yard weights to ensure the joins adhered well. The first job this morning was to remove the weights and wood and tape and let the roof dry off.

The next job of the day was to fit the two corner pieces on the low side at the rear. Had to remove the coach bolts to fit one of them and luckily the shed did not fall down ;) ;)

20092009001.jpg

Dad even had out one of granddad's old "Gulieumn"planes....spelling could be wrong.

20092009002.jpg

Did you see the E CRUICKSHANK stamp on the front.. I have that stamp too is well I'm WILLIAM EDWARD CRUICKSHANK ;) ;)

Corner piece fitted at the high side

20092009003.jpg

Roof felt now all tacked overhangs will be hidden with flashings

20092009004.jpg

Out with the tin of Butinox which is running done so I need to phone and order a new tin form my supplier in Banchory tomorrow.

Next up the two lower side corner pieces with the first coat of Butinox

20092009005.jpg

And then the high side

20092009006.jpg

And finally a shot of the roof seams which I coated again with the felt adhesive at lunchtime  today

20092009007.jpg

really good going bill , very much in keeping with the rest of the sheds , quite surprised how much goes into one of your builds actually , many of us would have bought an off the shelf shed the right size & finished it the weekend  :)

Thanks Marcus but I not going to give up the day time job and make sheds because the time it takes us we would not be able to make any money. Having said that two of those sheds made by dad and or two brothers are at least 50 years old now ( the ones with the black tin roofs) so they have been made to last. They both had windows in them but new posts and weatherboarding was put on to the two of them when we removed the windows which must be about 12 to 15 years ago now.

Hire a crane ;) ;)

No seriously the move will be easily done simply lift the shed up a little using a batten over a railway  sleeper  block  and  insert small tube pipes as rollers say max 1 inch diamater and simply roll it into place.

You will see we used that method taking the floor out of the garage earlier on in the build since it was a bit too heavy for us to lift

Hire a crane ;) ;)

No seriously the move will be easily done simply lift the shed up a little using a batten over a railway  sleeper  block  and  insert small tube pipes as rollers say max 1 inch diamater and simply roll it into place.

You will see we used that method taking the floor out of the garage earlier on in the build since it was a bit too heavy for us to lift

ok , make sure you get some pictures  ;)

I will but that will be sometime before it is finished and it gets rolled into place me things. Although I'm on holiday today I have other more pressing jobs that need doing. In addition I'm away both days next weekend so nothing will get done next weekend. Dad is going to get cracking on the doors which reminds me I need to order locks and cabin hooks and tower bolts. After that need to borrow a cement mixer from my cousin and get cement sand and crate from the local quarry and get the part in between two rows of slabs ( under the temporary shack at the back of the new shed ) concreted.

I think I need to find a job with more holidays or go on to a 4 day week permantly ;) ;)

Well yesterday I had the day off for the Aberdeen holiday and surprisingly it was a nice dry day. I had decided to lift my remaining early tatties and cut the hedge so that left dad to get on with the doors for my shed. Much better working separately ...less arguments...sorry differences of opinion ;) ;)

First he was selecting the best pieces for the  door backings

28092009001.jpg

He dug out his door hangers from the last shed he made for me 10 years ago in 1999...we never throw much out ;) ;)

28092009002.jpg

28092009003.jpg

Then the middle backing ready to be be fitted to the hangers .......they will still have to come off to be bevelled so they run water when the doors are left open ;D

28092009004.jpg

Now if you look closely at the next shot you may think he has not cut the backing square... correct he hasn't there is a side bevel too.... something to do with giving door opening clearance....beyond me but well well if that's the way it was that is the way he will do it ;) ;)

PHOTO BUCKET STOPPED FOR MAINTENANCE SO WILL GRT BACK TO THIS POST LATER

Alright that's PB back up and running

28092009005.jpg

Now all three on but they will still have to be removed for bevelling

28092009006.jpg

This is what they should like from the inside once they are finished

28092009007.jpg

28092009008.jpg

Thanks Peter it's coming along just as I planned it but not at a very fast pace but we will get there in the end. Not much will be done this coming weekend since off to a vintage sale on Saturday and on Sunday to a working day with Leyland and Nuffied tractors.

On Monday night I came home to find rain water lying inside the shed so after mopping up decided to cover the front until the doors are made. These old lorry curtainsides certainly have their uses ;) ;)

30092009001.jpg

Was looking at the corners and will need to tidy up with some brown silicon.

Tiny piece was needed since only come in 3 meter lengths but if shed made shorter would have had to cut part of a profile sheet which I did not want to have to do

30092009002.jpg

30092009003.jpg

Looking at this flashing not at 90 degrees...will be partly hidden with gutter however me thinks I will piece it out a wee bit so it is more pleasing to the eye

30092009004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I basically left dad to it after we got the bevels cut on the backings. He proceded to cut the linings to a rough length. He got 2 out of every length with a mininal 12 to 18 inches of waste which well cannot be helped. You will see they are not all cut to the same length but when the door is cut open and taken off the bottom will be chalklined and cut to one length. Here you will see him marking out the door to see how best they work in. And finally inside for the night in the cosy Farmall cub shed ;D ;D

10102009003.jpg

10102009004.jpg

10102009005.jpg

10102009006.jpg

Archived