• £ 601 to £ 700
    • £ 701 to £ 800
    • £ 801 to £ 900
    • £ 901 to £ 1,000

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday 5th December 2009

Today took inside measurements to allow me to work out the number of 6mm 8 foot x 4 foot MDF boards and also expanded poly 50 mm insulation for the walls. Whilst I went back inside to work this out left dad to finish the remaining bits in order to fit the MDF board to the roof. All 2inch x 2 inch framing used up so he had to revert and cut pieces out of the spare door backings. Never mind at least it gets the wood used up and wasn't wasted

05122009002.jpg

05122009003.jpg

05122009004.jpg

Where the cuttings will be used

05122009005.jpg

Next weekend should be a stay at home weekend apart from getting the poly insulation boards and the MDF 6 mm lining boards since this afternoon the shed was ready to accept them.

Final things to be done was add a small rip to each of the side to accept and 8 foot shett of MDF ;D ;D

05122009011.jpg

05122009012.jpg

Finally father's 4 foot / 48inch or 1220mm measuring stick awaiting patent ;D ;D

05122009013.jpg

Well that would be nice Sean but I'm sure it will end up lasting a little bit longer. Plan to get the poly board and MDF on Saturday so we will take it from there. I'm on holiday next Thursday and Friday too so maybe that will help speed up the process ;) ;)

That shed is never going to fall down - unless it's under it's own weight of timber.  ;D ;D

I think you could be right John... I don't think it will blow away either ;) ;)

I may actually have to hire the services of a Chinook to lift it up to get the rollers into actually roll it in to its final resting place ??? ???

I'm considering applying for squatters rights John.. it's better built.. and slightly bigger than my house  :P

Well Mark......it has taken 4 months to get this far so I don't think we will be breaking into the housing market just yet.......anyway that could end up being a 10 year project and accounting for work in progress and profit on long term contracts isn't easy. Having said that the speed we work we would not make a profit we we have to provide for losses :-[

Saturday 12 th December 2009

Not much done other than wire a temporary 4 foot flourescent light via a 13 amp plug down fused to 3 amp so we will be able to see to fit poly board and MDF lining.

12122009006.jpg

Well I try and keep a tidy shop since it makes finding things so much easier. I have a sign on the glass on the inner workshop door mainly for the benefit of my dad because at times he would struggle to find sand in the Sahara desert ;) ;)

The sign says

EVERYTHING

HAS A

PLACE

AND THERES

A PLACE FOR

EVERYTHING

Having said that he tends to use his own tools anyway which he keeps in his "bass". I mean he could only use HIS hammer not mine ;) ;)

Well I try and keep a tidy shop since it makes finding things so much easier. I have a sign on the glass on the inner workshop door mainly for the benefit of my dad because at times he would struggle to find sand in the Sahara desert ;) ;)

The sign says

EVERYTHING

HAS A

PLACE

AND THERES

A PLACE FOR

EVERYTHING

Having said that he tends to use his own tools anyway which he keeps in his "bass". I mean he could only use HIS hammer not mine ;) ;)

quite the project you have going here.. sure is a man from the old school, your dad..

and of course, good work takes time.. , and gotta agree.. your own hammer has a feel to it, which makes it less comfortable to work with someone elses hammer as it grows on ya.. (and i can know, am a carpenter for a living)

quite the project you have going here.. sure is a man from the old school, your dad..

and of course, good work takes time.. , and gotta agree.. your own hammer has a feel to it, which makes it less comfortable to work with someone elses hammer as it grows on ya.. (and i can know, am a carpenter for a living)

Well fordcrazy001 you have hit the nail on the head with respect to my father ( pardon the pun ) . Christened "Edward Cruickshank" by name but known as Ned / Ed and Eddie to name but a few. He certainly is of the old EDWARDIAN school and probably as slow as they were...mind you I got Edward as my middle name too ;D

Mind you he is 79 and in his 80 th year so he is still doing what he likes doing although we did have another difference of opinion this forenoon hanging back up the garage side door when he needed wedges and packs etc when we were not fitting a door merely rehanging an old one which has to come off later this week anyway to have new exterior ply fitted >:(

Anyway the shed is getting there and I'm off this Thursday and Friday plus the weekend so hope to get the finishings done inside ;) ;)

Oh I know I won't change him now...has heard of silicone but never uses it...etc.

Yes it will be a sturdy shed and two of the other ones must be around 50 years old now so I'm sure this one will last just as well.

Yesterday was back to repairing the side garage door before geting the new 3.2 mm exterior ply fitted later on this week.

13122009002.jpg

13122009003.jpg

Only job done on the shed on Sunday was to plane the door yet again...swelling with the damp yet again >:( >:(

13122009004.jpg

13122009005.jpg

cor blimey bil, hurry up mate, they started a new 50 storey office block in plymouth the same time you started the new shed, and they have nearly finished :D :D :D :D :D  get that whip out on your dad, he seems to be slacking :D :D :D :D

looking good actually jokes aside,

I know Sean it has taken a while but in all fairness this last week end was very frosty and down as low as minus 6 so even I wasn't too keen on working on it.

Never mind I'm on holiday this coming Thursday and Friday plus the weekend so I hope after getting the remaining builders materials to get a bit further on ;) ;)

Thanks Erik it's getting there and before long should be able to roll it into place after the concrete base pad is done and the temporary shed dismantled.Thereafter I need to get the power run in and the next plan is to have three tier shelves around both sides and the rear gable end and to display a lot of old bits and bobs of tools and tins, lamps and lanterns etc that are lurking in cupboards and drawers in my garage and also in my loft. The plan now is that my smallest tractor my 1951 International Farmall Cub jut fits in the middle of all this. So yes I think I will be spending quite some time in this new shed of mine.

Today I was on holiday and after the worst of the snow showers off we set for Inverurie to GPH the builders merchant's at Inverurie for insulation and lining board's for inside the shed.

Dad wanted some more flooring boards for his loft so we stopped off at Kenmay on the way back from Inverurie to Drumoak and deposited these below my French Cub which is still having a holiday at Kemnay.

17122009006.jpg

Got back to Drumoak just after 3.30pm and it was starting to get dark

17122009007.jpg

17122009008.jpg

6 mm MDF and 40mm Quinn-Therm 40 mm unloaded and into shed. They were out of stock of the 50mm expanded poly board and was not due back into Monday so I decided to go for the foiled back 40mm and have a 10mm cavity wall. Only £5 a sheet more expensive and well I was not free to go back between Monday and closing the day before Xmas eve.

17122009009.jpg

17122009010.jpg

Archived