Walter Derwent's Harvest Action

The Tractor Twitcher

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cracking photos David, good to see the yellows in action........ ;)

Thanks Martin, appreciated mate, i'll echo your thoughts on the yellow machines, espceially the older TF and TX machines they do make for a very nice sight. :)

It's a wide looking machine isn't it. Like you say, the TW there just for added vintageness does add a but of cream to the cake  :) :)

It certainly is Tris, very imposing machine and makes the job of moving it down some of the lanes it has to negotiate a very tight queeze. :)

As i've mentioned before the big TW isn't in the first flush of youth anymore but still performs admirabley for them, it has a lovely low "growling" engine note. I suppose the final cherry on top would be if they had to bring over their TF44 from the other farm which is located 40 miles away to operate alongside the TF46, just like they had to last year summer because of the prolonged bouts of poor weather. Just as with the TF and TX you've captured working together I reckon that would make for a rare sight these days. :)

i've just sold a ertl 956xl, cracking photo's again keep em coming. ;)

I'll have to keep my eyes and ears peeled for one Peter, would quite like to have one in my Case IH collection at some point, a real one wouldn't go amiss either many years into the future.  :D

Thanks for the kind words mate, desperate to find some more live action photograph, it's a much dryer day today over here but still a bit too wet to work. I've been spending the morning searching through old photographs (again) and found these two archive shots of older New Holland combines i'm hoping to catch in action this summer.

First up a 1530 I think (although I could be wrong on the model number) that lives on a farm around 10 miles away from me that hosts a working day every year.

IMGnh_0001-1.jpg

Another case of rain stopped play for this 8060 I took just a few hundred yards away from where I live back in 2007.

IMGnh_0002-1.jpg

Great pictures David - really looking forward to your post - that combine above I am pretty sure is a 1540 ;)

Thanks Colm, very keen to find some more machines to photograph really soon, work and the weather delaying my progress recently, still plenty to be cut around here. Thanks for the identification of the older New Holland machine too. :)

nice pictures thank you for posting  ;) dont get much combine action my way, its all up tractorbob and 51mon's way :'(

Thank you griffithsbros, your very welcome. There's plenty of fields still to be harvested near me, the big TF46 is one of the largest combines operating around here, very few top of the range Lexions and New Holland CX/CR machines to be seen, i'd have to venture further towards the east coast and the Yorkshire Wolds (something i'm planning to do) to find anything larger. :)

That TX62 is a great looking machine.

Erik.

It's a very smart and tidy machine Erik, the farmer who owns it bought it a year ago to replace a Deutz Fahr 36.40, unfortunately I missed it finishing off the O.S.R, but still hope to catch some working photographs of it really soon.

A TX 62 for a 36.40 is a trade down - 36.40 is an animal of a machine ;D

From what I can recall of it Colm it was tidy machine around 17/18 years old I think, and had a much larger header than the TX 62 that replaced it, but for the acreage it's covering they don't really require anything any bigger, regret not getting any photographs of the old Deutz.

Today around lunchtime I got a call from my friend Neil near York who runs the MF 6290 and 3085 tractors to say they'd begun to harvest spring barley, without hesitation I jumped in the car and headed over. However whilst on my way over there I took a minor detour to find this rather nice Claas Lexion 460 hard at work alongside a very tidy McCormick MTX135.

DSC05016.jpg

DSC05018.jpg

DSC05020.jpg

DSC05024.jpg

DSC05026.jpg

DSC05028.jpg

Having left the big Claas to continue to eat up the acres, the first machine I found when I arrived at Ellers Farm was Neil aboard the 6290 and John Deere 590 baler.

DSC05051.jpg

DSC05044.jpg

DSC05049.jpg

Whilst over the other side of the road the farm's venerable D reg Claas Dominator 98S was being prepared to harvest 14 acres of spring barley.

DSC05039.jpg

DSC05040.jpg

DSC05041.jpg

Looks quite cloudy there. we were combining oats at 15% near Pockington 15miles from york.

Not too far away from where I was mate, my friend's are based near Stamford Bridge, not sure what moisture content this was coming off at, i'm planning on heading over Garaby Hill in that direction to see what I can find to photograph next time i'm over at theirs.

What type of combine are you running if you don't mind me asking?

Ahh right. We run a '81 Claas Dom 96

Nice machine, a chap just up the road from me runs a 96 he bought it to replace an old Senator a few years back, yet to find it in action this year.

some super pictures again ;)

Thanks Peter, i'm finally finding some decent opportunities to get out and about with my camera now. :)

I managed to get finished from work a little bit earlier today and decided to swap my shirt and tie for my riggers and rugby top and pay a little visit to the Dowkes family's farm not far from where I work to capture some harvest action. Their fleet of Fergies were featured in Classic Tractor a few months ago so it was great find lots of their machines working really close together.

Before the harvesting scenes here's a couple of their tractors hard at work starting with the farm's MF 2720 powering a Spearhead hedge cutter followed by the elder of the two MF 8160s they run romping away with a Hesston 4900 baler.

DSC05249.jpg

DSC05251.jpg

DSC05258.jpg

DSC05261.jpg

DSC05259.jpg

DSC05257.jpg

Archived