Walter Derwent's Harvest Action

The Tractor Twitcher

those wheels on the tc look like they are of the back end of a case to me, smallish one to fit the body on the combine, one of the few arround with square dish's tha i know of, weird choice to fit mind, but i guess the cost of two new ones on the combine for afew weeks of the year, against a swap of a tractor works out better for them??

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

those wheels on the tc look like they are of the back end of a case to me, smallish one to fit the body on the combine, one of the few arround with square dish's tha i know of, weird choice to fit mind, but i guess the cost of two new ones on the combine for afew weeks of the year, against a swap of a tractor works out better for them??

On the wheel point, I have seen some farms with older combines put the wide wheels from the spraying tractor on the combine when it changed over to rowcrops in summer

Really wished i'd enquired about them now Sean and Patrick. They operate New Holland tractors exclusively on their farm so I don't think they'd be interchanged. Perhaps it's a case of the alternatives fitted working out cheaper than a new set of genuine replacements. I'll endeavour to ask if I see it in action again over the course of the summer, the weather isn't helping matters at the moment around here. 

It's turning into a "grab it while you can week" around here with very brief bright spells of weather overun with persistant heavy showers. Which has meant it's been all the more harder to find anything in action to photograph inbetween my own working hours. However a slight detour on the way home proved successful and I found this Deutz - Fahr 6090HTS tucking into oilseed rape before the inevitable rain arrived.

DSC08158.jpg

DSC08147.jpg

DSC08143.jpg

DSC08142.jpg 

Nice combine!  :-*

Must be a pretty new rare one too!

It's brand new Colm, a 310hp 6 straw walker machine. Must say it does look smart, definitely picked the right back road to head down today, very pleased to have captured it even if the experience was a brief one due to the weather. :)

certainly bringing us all upto date with the latest in combines

Thanks Nick, it's definitely been worth all the mileage i've covered recently. Often a case of pot luck on which lanes to drive around. Hoping to travel much further afield once the weather breaks again, there's still plenty more makes and models i'm determined to find this summer. :)

That Deutz is a smart looking machine, David. Not one single one round here bar a very old red one just up the road here. The 525 just shows how much the styling has moved on as well as the regards for the operators' health when you see something like the Deutz!!

That Deutz is a smart looking machine, David. Not one single one round here bar a very old red one just up the road here. The 525 just shows how much the styling has moved on as well as the regards for the operators' health when you see something like the Deutz!!

Chuffed to bits to have found one of the latest generation Deutz combines in action Tris. It's certainly pleasing on the eye and has one of the most spacious cabs i've sat in. Deutz combines whilst not as popular as their New Holland counterparts around here certainly have a presence thanks to a dealer located close to the coast. I have fond memories of several of the older green 36 . series machines that harvested land very close to where we now live. The farm that run the TF-46 used to operate one of the larger red liveried combines for a time too. Truth be told I went in search of the big Deutz again tonight but it had moved on however working land almost opposite where I'd discovered it was the little 525, quite a contrast. There's something about it's offset operator's platform and prominent grill that I absolutely love. :)   

This morning I had a difficult decision to make on my day off. Between either a steady stroll down to the Steam Rally or head off in the car combine chasing. Given the weather forecast I chose the latter and here's the first of two sightings from today before the rain started to hammer down once more. A New Holland TX-64 Plus making easy work of swathed oilseed rape alongside a McCormick MTX-150.

DSC08319.jpg

DSC08287.jpg

DSC08322.jpg

DSC08313.jpg

DSC08314.jpg

DSC08285.jpg

Some threatening looking clouds over the top of that TX, David. I think you took the right choice. I like the feeling you get when driving a combine of the dark clouds closing in. You really feel like the race is on!

I see the Axial man is chopping the straw, a fool he would be down here where the straw hit £120/ac in places. Still, some value the organic matter more than the value of straw by it's sale.

Some threatening looking clouds over the top of that TX, David. I think you took the right choice. I like the feeling you get when driving a combine of the dark clouds closing in. You really feel like the race is on!

I see the Axial man is chopping the straw, a fool he would be down here where the straw hit £120/ac in places. Still, some value the organic matter more than the value of straw by it's sale.

Thanks Tris, the same goes for the enthusiastic photographer too. :) I could feel the rain coming when I left the location of the TX but there was no way I was coming home without a few snaps of the 2188, soaking or otherwise as it's the first Case IH Axial Flow combine i've had the opportunity to photograph outside of Cereals.

As much as I love taking pictures in bright skies such as those of the TX-36 and the CR9080 from last year there's something a little more dramatic about the backdrop you're photographing against when the clouds are so dark and the Sun offers to shine just as you're capturing the machine in question.

There seemed to be quite a few of fields filled with chopped straw where I drove today, something I certainly haven't seen taking place all that much in recent times.

Lovely 2188  8):-*

Yes the force is strong with that one Erik, great looking combine and very pleased to have finally found one to photograph. :)

Lovely photos David, the TX looks good under the clouds, around us there is 4 axail flows, three 88 series and and older 80 series they really mash the straw up in the swath though.

Thanks Patrick, enjoyed finding another New Holland variant to capture. I'd love to find an older 80 series Axial Flow in action too, I am aware of one not far from home just yet to find it. I really will have to put some time aside and head over in the direction of Garaby Hill before harvest finishes. :)

your misson david, should you choose to accept it, is to find and capture pictures of the new mf delta combine, one will be in the area from next week ;) 

I'll add it to my ever growing "hit list" Mike. If the weather's decent for the middle of next week i'll make the trip down the coast for a look see. :)

I can hear the roar of that Perkins 6 cylinder in the 525 from here  :-*

Wonderful sight and sound Colm, in great condition too. :)

Archived