Walter Derwent's Harvest Action

The Tractor Twitcher

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clayson 1540  :of

My Dad drove one when i was a nipper, no cab though!

He had to wear a helmet that was airconditioned, made him look like a storm trooper  :)

Anymore pictures of it?

A few years ago there were many more combines similar to the Clayson I found today working close to where I live, cabbed and cabless examples. However most have been moved on and replaced by slightly more modern 8000 series New Holland machines. Pleased to have unearthed a machine that brings back some childhood memories Barry. :)

For you and anyone else who's interested here's another selection of photographs of the old girl in action.

DSC07904.jpg

DSC07906.jpg

DSC07922.jpg

DSC07940.jpg

DSC07941.jpg

DSC07938.jpg

have enjoyed this post very much  lots of experience of many of the combines as an ex ford/new holland mechanic, worked on claysons right upto tf and tx machines. the dealership i worked for sold thhe first tf46 combines in the uk with 3 of them going to one customer. we trained on them 3 machines at new holland training school and pdi them as part of the course. i rate the tx34 and tx 36 very highly they were excellent machines as were 8070/8080.

Tractor and baler on demo  8)

Thought it looked very smart Colm and made for a nice change from the more common New Holland and John Deere round balers operating around here, first i've seen of the Kuhn machines. :)

have enjoyed this post very much  lots of experience of many of the combines as an ex ford/new holland mechanic, worked on claysons right upto tf and tx machines. the dealership i worked for sold thhe first tf46 combines in the uk with 3 of them going to one customer. we trained on them 3 machines at new holland training school and pdi them as part of the course. i rate the tx34 and tx 36 very highly they were excellent machines as were 8070/8080.

Thank you Nick delighted to hear you're enjoying following my photographic travels, which i'll endeavour to add to further once the rain disappears. Likewise it's always nice to read about the experiences of others such as yourself who have had the hands on operational and mechanical knowledge of these wonderful machines. Thanks in part to the extensive dealer network in this area New Holland combines are definitely the most popular with many of the small to medium sized farms still running 8000 series, TC and TX machines, with the big TF-46 being one of the most famous local landmarks to appear at this time of year. :) 

Another set of excellent photos David, you really do have a talent, I really like the first and last pictures.

Thanks for your very kind feedback James, the first photograph is now my PC's background. I always endeavour to make the most of any location I stumble across, I took around ninety photographs today ( deleted just under a third ), and the sun did at least make a brief appearance whilst I was there which certainly helped. Things have been a little bit quiet on the harvest front close to home the last couple of days due to the inclement and inconsistent weather.

those shots of the cx8080 operating hands free with satellite guidance are awesome , thankyou for sharing those with us-prize winning photography

I was wondering if anyone would notice the operator monitoring the machines performance as oposed to physically driving the machine, very impressive and quite surreal to witness too. You're welcome Nick and thanks for your very kind words. :)

praise where praise is due - your welcome thanks for your efforts

Thank you Nick, just need the weather to improve before i'm out and about again. :)

Great photos again David ;D  the auto guidence  on that combine is quite something.

Thank you Patrick, certainly makes for quite a contrast compared to the other New Holland combines i've captured so far this summer especially so close to home. :)

What a treat to find those three New Hollands together. The 1540 was the first combine I ever drove before a TX32 replaced it. I only saw a TC this week myself too, on a lowloader heading north through the county. A short time later the same lorry was heading south with an 8060 in carriage so a trade seemed to have taken place. Great shots again, Kuhn baler was a bit of a find to I would say, can't be many working over here just yet.

What a treat to find those three New Hollands together. The 1540 was the first combine I ever drove before a TX32 replaced it. I only saw a TC this week myself too, on a lowloader heading north through the county. A short time later the same lorry was heading south with an 8060 in carriage so a trade seemed to have taken place. Great shots again, Kuhn baler was a bit of a find to I would say, can't be many working over here just yet.

Thanks Tris. Delighted to have found the three New Hollands from three very different eras to photograph. Very satisfied to have found an older classic too such as the 1540 still earning an important crust and capped to bits it's struck a chord with members on here. Although i've been aware of the TC-56 that's the first time i've seen it in action at such close quarters, handy sized machine for some of the smaller fields around here. First time i've seen a Kuhn round baler working too looked very smart yoked to the N series Valtra. :) 

That TC is basically an 8000 series with a new cab. The 8000 series was not much different to the 1500 series either.... Even the TX30 series had not changed a huge amount from these  :laugh: :laugh: It's part of the reason they were so popular, through familiarity.

That TC is basically an 8000 series with a new cab. The 8000 series was not much different to the 1500 series either.... Even the TX30 series had not changed a huge amount from these  :laugh: :laugh: It's part of the reason they were so popular, through familiarity.

spot on  description tris, the 1540 in the post was a standard 1540 the 1540s had rotary seperator following the drum as did the 8000series

Thanks for the information Tris and Nick. You can certainly see the parentage from a styling perspective through from the 8000 series, TC and TX. I've taken photographs of seven different New Holland combines with my digital camera. Given the popularity of New Holland machines in this area, I might put a "through the ages" photographic trail together if I find anymore this summer.

Archived