Walter Derwent's Harvest Action

The Tractor Twitcher

Unfortunately due to work commitments and a certain music festival I attended I was unable to make the most of the decent weather we had the week after following a bout of rain. Seemingly most of the remaining spring crops standing were cleared around the areas I had been travelling with my camera. However on the 4/09/2013 I was treat to a fantastic evening's photography in the company of Andrew Brunton's wonderful fleet of John Deere machinery harvesting all the way up at Guisborough. It turned out to be a very worth while trip and one of the most amazing evening's "tractor twitching" and "combine chasing" i've had all summer.

Absolutely loads of photographs to follow from this venue.......nothing like having your own mobile mezzanine to capture the action from!

P1360029_zps09edcb47.jpg

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from everything that was sat in Andrew's impressive farm yard and sheds, one of my main reasons for travelling up to see him was to photograph the following tractor. His "disguised" K plate John Deere 4755 which is badged up as a state side 4760. It's one of Andrew's favourite tractors, and during harvest spends the majority of it's time yoked to this massive Horsch chaser bin that supports his two combines, John Deere W660 Hillmaster and 9680WTS Hillmaster II machines respectively.

The 4755 was unloading into a big Triffitt trailer fitted with extensions and yoked to the only red tractor that resides on the farm, a Case IH Puma 155. Truth be told, given all of the green and yellow I was surrounded by, I took very little notice of the Puma. Expect to see more from this tractor in the future over in my tractor thread, as it carries out quite a bit of ploughing in some of the smaller fields belonging to Andrew.

P1350932_zps77b0c183.jpg

P1350949_zps3d1b037e.jpg

P1360011_zpsf0ff469b.jpg

P1360012_zps7ffdca97.jpg

P1360066_zps2a869a77.jpg

P1350973_zps581bb7f3.jpg

Individual photographs of Andrew's brand new John Deere W660 Hillmaster combine to follow next.

More wonderful photos there David, as always. Also really the set with the CR9090's...mightily impressive machines. Superb stuff.

Thanks ever so much Joe, appreciate your very kind comments. I've still a few more sets to sort through from my evening spent photographing the John Deeres. Absolutely chuffed to bits to have found those New Holland CR9090 machines on my travels. I've also discovered two other farms not too far away running them, aswell as a CR9080 also on tracks. They will more than likely have to wait until next year's harvest before I see them in action. :)

I think you've had a great season...I think my report would definitely say 'must do better'! However saying that I saw a fair few uncut fields today so maybe I might get chance to see a bit more before its all finished. Though it brightened up a lot this afternoon hope it was still too wet..I'm not home until Monday.

I think you've had a great season...I think my report would definitely say 'must do better'! However saying that I saw a fair few uncut fields today so maybe I might get chance to see a bit more before its all finished. Though it brightened up a lot this afternoon hope it was still too wet..I'm not home until Monday.

Thanks Joe. I've certainly enjoyed capturing quite a few combines ( old and new ) and harvesting set ups i've never seen before such as the chaser bins, pick up headers and finally a New Holland TF78! The weather is definitely holding up a few areas of spring cereals still waiting to be cleared. Noticed quite a number of fields yet to be harvested on the Derbyshire border just after i'd finished work yesterday. You never know I might yet have one or two more combines to add to this thread before harvest 2013 is finished. Despite the odd bright spell the weather has been dreadful down here recently.   

blimey some ones been lucky to see that lot, clearly work ain't keeping you busy eh :laugh:  weirdly I saw a 750 last week, haven't seen it for a few years as they got a big jd , i assumed it was scrapped or something , but it must still be working away for them, looked to have been repainted to as it seemed very clean looking

Another nice update David. Some cracking photographs again! Really nice to see both old and new at work. Read on the net that there is still 5000 acres to be cut in the UK as a whole.

Thanks ever so much Niels. I've still a few more sets to post up from my evening spent in the company of all of those John Deeres. Still hopeful of capturing one or two more combines in action. As always it's been great to find some older classic combines still working in amongst all the "biggies." :)

blimey some ones been lucky to see that lot, clearly work ain't keeping you busy eh :laugh:  weirdly I saw a 750 last week, haven't seen it for a few years as they got a big jd , i assumed it was scrapped or something , but it must still be working away for them, looked to have been repainted to as it seemed very clean looking

Busy, busy, but i've certainly made the most of my days off and any other spare time i've had Sean. :) The trip up to Guisborough to see the John Deeres made for a long day but was totally worth it. 10 hour early shift, 4 hour's worth of travelling, and somewhere in between a few hours worth of photography "chasing the chaser." :)

I'd absolutely love to photograph a 750 Sean, nice to hear someone is still using one. Chuffed to bits to have found a 755 on my travels. It was in very straight and tidy condition and the engine sounded very sweet. :)  

Archived