JCB World Headquarters

robbo

I don't know whether this should be in the "What did you do today" topic or in a topic of it's own, as there are a lot of photos I decided that it should be on it's own.

Today I have been to the JCB World Headquarters near Utoxeter as part of a new Anti Crime Conference aimed at the Plant and Agricultural sectors. Apart from the work side of things we got a trip round the factory to see the construction of backhoe loaders and telehandlers.

I took the trusty camera along and I have got a few photos to share if anyone is interested  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) .........I can just see Damien straining at the leash :D :D :D :D

First up there is a display of the old implements that Bamfords started by making

This, apparently is a pulper

JCBVisit010.jpg

JCBVisit009.jpg

JCBVisit012.jpg

JCBVisit013.jpg

JCBVisit014.jpg

JCBVisit016.jpg

JCBVisit017.jpg

The the original trailer that has recently been reproduced by Britains

JCBVisit008.jpg

JCBVisit007.jpg

JCBVisit011.jpg

There were a couple of early models there as well

JCBVisit019.jpg

JCBVisit020.jpg

Can't remember what this thing is, some sort of a press I think

JCBVisit018.jpg

One of the other reasons for the day was to raise money for "Help for Heroes" so there was a raffle and the main prize was tickets for 2 at the British Racing Car Championships........unfortunately I didn't win :-\ :-\ :-\

I did ask if they came with blue lights but sadly not  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

JCBVisit033.jpg

JCBVisit034.jpg

JCBVisit031.jpg

JCBVisit032.jpg

JCBVisit038.jpg

JCBVisit039.jpg

Inside the reception is the "Thrust Diesel " landspeed record car

JCBVisit042.jpg

JCBVisit043.jpg

JCBVisit044.jpg

In the offices they have a couple of very rare old machines, the first is one of only 200 dumpers they ever made

JCBVisit022.jpg

And the next is one of the first diggers with a 2 cylinder Lister Pettit engine apparently it is known as a Gravedigger model as that is what they were often used for

JCBVisit023.jpg

The I got really naughty so don't tell  :-[:-[ :-[:-[ :-[:-[ :-[:-[ You aren't supposed to take pictures in the assembly area so I had to turn the flash off and point the camera surreptitiously

JCBVisit024.jpg

JCBVisit025.jpg

JCBVisit026.jpg

JCBVisit027.jpg

JCBVisit029.jpg

JCBVisit030.jpg

Hope you all liked the pics, I will post some details of the actual conference tomorrow as there are some developments that tractor owners will need to be aware of

you lucky man mike, been past it mny times whenup on a course that way, would love to have a tour like that to

I asked the tour guide what it would cost to bring a party round and it would cost £7.50 per head for groups between 2 and 15, lunch would also be available but that would be at extra cost. Might be an FTF day out at some time in the future  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Right then, the main reason behind this little jolly er I mean informative and instructive conference, was to introduce the wider Police force to the new Government backed scheme for marking and tracing stolen plant and tractors.

The background to this is that plant and tractor theft has been on the increase and there is a woeful recovery rate of the stolen items, only 5% compared with 50% for cars. Part of this is the way in which cars are recorded at the DVLA and also the increases in vehicle security taken by the manufacturers.

As a result the Government set up the Plant Theft Action Group (PTAG) and, working with the Construction Industry Theft Solutions Board (CITS), they were charged with making recommendations and ways in which this could be improved. They realised that they needed to know what was happening and that intelligence was vital. As a result they set up the Plant and National Intelligence Unit (PANIU).

(You will note by now that all Government Departments love abbreviations) :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Analysis of the data showed that a quarter of all plant theft occurs in just 4 force ares, Metropolitan, Greater Manchester, Thames Valley and Avon and Somerset.

Another quarter of thefts occurred in the South East and Yorkshire regions.

One fifth of all equipment stolen is manufactured by JCB.

Tractors are the second most stolen equipment.

John Deere equipment records the biggest rise in thefts over the previous year.

There are other data facts but these are the most pertinent to FTF.

The result of all of this is that the Government asked a number of companies to tender for a new security register and the successful tender came from Datatag.

Datatag have now set up CESAR, The Construction Industry Security And Registration Scheme. This is the most important development in preventing plant theft and for returning items to their rightful owners since the setting up of the DVLA and PNC. (PNC has proved to be woefully inadequate to the task). This scheme has also been backed by all the major Insurance Companies including Allianz, Zurich, Aviva and the NFU Mutual.

From now on  you will start to see large triangular stickers appearing on all plant and tractors, these are not just stickers. They indicate that the full details of this machine have been recorded, including chassis and engine numbers and details of the owner, this is similar to the data currently recorded at the DVLA. The data will also be given to the DVLA and a registration document will be issued. The stickers are tamper proof and will fragment if anyone tries to remove them, they also leave a residue on the paintwork so you will see if they have been removed.

The machine will also have been implanted with a number of microchips during the manufacturing process, as a result these will be almost impossible to remove.

It will also have been "painted" with a Datatag DNA which is invisible to the naked eye and contains a number of microdots each with their own serial number.

We were told that 6 major tractor manufacturers will be announcing in the new year that all of their machines will now come with this as standard (JCB already do it).

It will be possible to "retrofit" these chips and stickers to existing machines and they will then be put onto the database.

Sorry if this has been a bit long winded but these are just the main points, there is actually a lot more. If you want any further information then the best place to get it is on the web site

http://www.cesarscheme.org/

Just in case you needed any further encouragement, so far this year there have been over 600 tractors stolen in the UK, this doesn't include telehandlers which are recorded separately. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I asked the tour guide what it would cost to bring a party round and it would cost £7.50 per head for groups between 2 and 15, lunch would also be available but that would be at extra cost. Might be an FTF day out at some time in the future  ;) ;) ;) ;)

is that all mike, if i had known that i would have poped in one afternoon when i was up there

its took long time for this to become standard practice and not optional, trackers, immobilisers, track locks and ram locks were always optional i fitted loads of these when i was service engineer with former berkeley jcb. the alpha dot system and micro chips . data tagg been around since 1996  but was never universally used.

Looks like you had fun Mike  ;)

JCB as many know are my biggest customer (day job) and I tend to spent hours and hours at the Rocester and Uttoxeter plants and everything about how JCB are run makes you feel proud to be British  ;)  They are a real credit to the UK  .Everything about the design and management team is more professional than any other company I deal with  ;)

Great topic (info and photos ) Mike and all for a good cause too  ;)

for those who have not yet had the pleasure of a jcb tour they have machies actually up in the offices, some shown on here they use to have more upstairs. i was lucky during my service engineer career to go around factory when attending every service course. them days the 360 machines were built in bamfords old factory in uttoxeter and the fastracs at cheadle.

ive been twice on factory visits to JCB well worth it, although on the 2nd visit a Manitou was being used for maintenance work in the building.

The best factory visit ive been on is New Holland at Zedelgem in Belgium, the worst visit was to Landrover, every vehicle incomplete at the end of the line, some without engines or interior.