Whats your latest general buy 2011?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much deliberation and reading of reviews in the past couple of days i've just ordered a new camera to replace my broken Sony. A 12.1 megapixel Panansonic FZ38 with 18x zoom, tripod, spare battery and 8GB memory card. It's not the fanciest of cameras but falls nicely within the budget i'd set myself. 

I will be interested to hear what you think of it David.

Hopefully it will be arriving tommorow Bill. Once I have the chance to give it a thorough test i'll post my thoughts and my first photographic results on here. It's a model that has been superseded but given the brief and budget I'm working to i'm hoping it will turn out to be a good choice.

wont go wrong with that david, i bought a pannasonic tz5 a few years back, great functions very easy to use, still a better spec than most camers arround even now, 

Thanks for the reassurance Sean. I've read so many reviews in the past couple of days and the Panasonic ranges seemed to tick all the boxes to the requirements I was looking for. I looked very closely at the TZ, FZ and LX ranges and came very close to plumping for a TZ10 compact. I was keen to find a camera that wasn't too bulky that had much greater optical zoom than i've been used to without compromising picture quality, particularly in really low light scenarios. The older FZ38 seems to fit the bill and my modest budget. Hopefully i've made a wise choice. 

thats why we bought the tz5 mate, 10 x zoom with 16 on ultra zoon, high meg pixels and fits in your pocket with ease, plus its got the ai button, that takes all sorts of stuff out like shakes red eye all sorts, just point and go basicly

The Leica lens seems to be very highly regarded on these cameras too, looking forward to giving it a "field test" so to speak when it arrives to see how it compares to what i've been used to.

This is the review that finally swayed me into purchasing one, having taken into consideration this model's successors too, i'd already seen in the flesh the FZ45 and FZ100 before making my decision.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/07/28/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ38/p1

I look forward to seeing the results you achieve with this new camera mate... I do enjoy your photographs... some of the best on here in my humble opinion...

I tried a monopod at Malvern for the first time.... BRILLIANT.... best camera money I've spent I reckon... low light.. lots to take.... ideal scenario for a monopod I reckon

I look forward to seeing the results you achieve with this new camera mate... I do enjoy your photographs... some of the best on here in my humble opinion...

I tried a monopod at Malvern for the first time.... BRILLIANT.... best camera money I've spent I reckon... low light.. lots to take.... ideal scenario for a monopod I reckon

Thank you Mark, appreciate your kind comments, can't wait to take delivery. Understandabley i'm hoping it will be a step up and much more versatile than the old Sony and lead to sharper images than the Sony was ever capable of. I'm most looking forward to the extra zoom because that was one of the old Sony's biggest limitations, particularly at events such as the National Ploughing Championships.

As part of the package i've a tripod coming with the Panasonic, not something I'm used to using so i'll be intrigued to see where the biggest benefits lay in using one.

Is that the single rotor Model Marky? If so used to have one of them myself on my old Nuffield, good toppers

It is Gavalar.. picking it up next week... I used one a few years ago as well... a good piece of kit I think... until I run over something solid and large  :of:-[ :'( :D :D

I have just upgraded my ride on mower to a Stiga Park plus with electric mower lift,power steering,and the ltest pro deck the dealer gave me £700 off the RRP thats a massive saving

I have done about 8 hours on it far and its worth the money.