The Snow Topic

BC

Well yesterday it was bitterly cold in the afternoon and I commented to the fact "it was cold enough for snow",

Funnily enough we got some over night but only really around an inch..."just a flurry around the houses and not much out about"

ST839451.jpg

I suppose the council workers will be happy getting a bit of overtime.

ST839452.jpg

As I said not much out about...looking over towards Bennachie....pronounced ..."Ben Na He"

ST839453.jpg

• 1 month later...

When I arrived at work today at 5am (month end tax bookings always on the 3rd) I was pleased to see the drive in about to Halliburton House and the car parks had been cleared. However much to my annoyance the digger driver had blocked "my space" with snow :angry: Anyway it was still snowing and was bitterly cold so I had to opt for another side space. Around 6am I was at the printer which overlooks the lower car park and I saw it had been cleared so I decided to brave the storm and shift my car and return my camera etc because I could not download any photos on works PC for whatever reason I do not know....maybe I need to download the DVD I got with the camera to which I did do on my home laptop :huh:

P1000734.jpg

P1000735.jpg

After that the day went well and I was able to get away at 1.30pm when i had done my hours....good to see it is now melting and was sunny but only around 4 degrees C

P1000736.jpg

When I arrived at work today at 5am (month end tax bookings always on the 3rd) I was pleased to see the drive in about to Halliburton House and the car parks had been cleared. However much to my annoyance the digger driver had blocked "my space" with snow :angry: Anyway it was still snowing and was bitterly cold so I had to opt for another side space. Around 6am I was at the printer which overlooks the lower car park and I saw it had been cleared so I decided to brave the storm and shift my car and return my camera etc because I could not download any photos on works PC for whatever reason I do not know....maybe I need to download the DVD I got with the camera to which I did do on my home laptop :huh:

P1000734.jpg

After that the day went well and I was able to get away at 1.30pm when i had done my hours....good to see it is now melting and was sunny but only around 4 degrees C

Hmm I got a sense of déjà vu reading this Bill :unsure:

Yes Chris this is "my car parking space" one of the best in the upper or lower or higher or even side car park's at work where I can get safe at the two sides from doors etc and also at the front (I hope) and at the rear since I always leave my tow bar on ;D ;D I do take pride in all the vehicles I own.

Edited by BC

They are banging on about the temperatures on TV, Scotland last week recorded an all time record of 29C for March and look at it now, down 27 degrees, well, it is Easter week and the blackthorn is starting to come into flower so it's bound to be cold. We've had 2 days of ealy morning frost down here after a hot week, last Sunday the temperature got up to 27.9C and this Sunday just gone it did not rise above 7C.

According to the forecast and the TV weathermen the snow is moving South into the lower Midlands and Wales. Still colder here than it was but here it's going to warm up a little for the Easter weekend and be dry and sunny so anyone on holiday this Easter weekend head for Devon and Cornwall, a warm welcome and lots of pasties and cream teas awaits you. Yesterday as the day wore on we had several moderately heavy showers of rain but it's still very dry, we've had no rain now for almost 2 months and no significant rainfall all winter but our water supplies seem to be holding up very well and the local reservoirs a short walk from me are pretty full but the rivers and streams are very very low and slow running but if we don't get any significant rainfall before the end of May things could get serious both for the water supply and crops.

'Save water, bath with a friend'.

• 2 weeks later...

A light dusting of snow overnight at Kemnay in Aberdeenshire....but the sun is now up so lets hope it continues and the temperature rises and melts away the ruddy stuff :angry:

P1000947.jpg

Looking over to the hills near Bennachie

P1000948.jpg

• 6 months later...

The white stuff was forecast for us today but I did not really believe it until I looked out from the printer on to the lower rear car park and then back at my desk pulled the blinds just around lunchtime today.

P1050232.jpg

P1050233.jpg

It won't lie we all said but the flakes got bigger and thicker

P1050234.jpg

P1050235.jpg

P1050236.jpg

P1050237.jpg

Since this is the second week of the Aberdeen "shire" schools "tattie holidays" I mentioned the fact as a youngster I can never recall having snow when picking tatties...rain yes but we only liked that just immediately after lunch (peace time) since if they stooped then we got a full days pay circa £ 6 to £ 7 but if before lunch it was a half days pay at £3 to £ 3.50. In addition if stopped before lunch you hadn't eaten your lunch so you did not have room to take tatties home in your emptye bag for your folks. Happy days and earning money for yourself and being able to buy something with your hard earned cash taught you money did not grow on trees. Nowadays tatties are lifted with machines and for health and safety reasons etc you would probably not be allowed to "employ" kids to do it. Mind you I had to laugh since a few years back at our annual BA Stores working weekend they put up drill's then buried tatties for bags covered them in and then spun then out with an old fashioned land drive spinner tattie digger. The kids came round on the tractor trailers and were supposed to grad a bag and pick the tatties and take them home. The attendant on the seated tractor trailer used to ask the kids before they got off to pick them where do potatoes come from....and the standard answer was "the supermarket" ...but well the moral of the tale kids who have been to BA and picked tatties now know where they really come from.....which reminds me I have still to lift my tatties in my back garden...I haven't managed to since it has been too wet or when it was fine I was out and about.

Edited by BC
  • Like 1

Yes Brian we had more before I turned in last night....the farmer was even round scraping the roads and the council were around the pavements early this morning. As you say its melting now but I hope this is not a taste of the coming winter.

I'm not really looking forward to the winter and don't really want to be reminded that winter is on it's way considering the rubbish summer we've had this year, however, it's inevitable and not very pleasing knowing that the devious utility companies are hiking up their electricity and gas prices, that's what I call taking advantage and very unfair, but that's another issue.

It's been quite mild here this past week, rather wet and foggy but this morning the skies are clear and cloudless and a brisk N to NE wind is blowing. The outside temperature at 8.00 this morning was -0.5C but in the wind feels more like -7 and there was a slight white frost. At least it's dry.

I had planned to get my remaining tatties lifted today but I thought no maybe they will be safer from the frost covered by a layer of snow...time will tell...but I don't know what I'm likely to get :huh::unsure: ...anyway no great loss if no use they have kept the ground clean and well there is always the possibility of putting another shed or green house there or adding a dog leg extension to the back of my garage which seems the best option at present.....time will tell

P1050248.jpg

Weather wise for the next week is

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ab31

Looks like come hell or high water I will need to try and lift these tatties after work on Monday or Tuesday despite being wet ground.....I.m lucky I only have a small patch unlike many tattie farmers who have hundreds of acres to lift.....me thinks tattie prices will be quite high this back end and next year :huh::unsure:

So Harry I always thought if it was snowing the temperature would be + zero and not below zero...anyway time will tell when I lift my small veggie plot...if they are frosted or maybe full of blight ...since well I only sprayed the folks back garden for that and not my own

The temperrature does not have to be at freezing point or below for snow to fall, in fact it usually warms up a few degrees before and when it snows, it depends on the air temperature at certain levels at or below cloud level.

I find that Accuweather is a very good on-line site, take a look at it and choose your location for more accuracy, gives you hourly, current, daily and long range forecast and is very accurate.