The Snow Topic

BC

• 1 month later...

We had a light dusting today which covered the ground so there is nothing I can do outside today usually I am slack this time of year untill February so it means inside painting and decorating for me and my mrs has a nice list of jobs for me to tackle while she works which is her busy time of year,Role on the Spring.

Time to sort out my collection and my layout now.

Bill i can send you some more if you want  ;D

Thanks..but no thanks Pete. I decided to work from home and save at least an hours travel time. Got the Howard 350 out at lunchtime to clear the drive and did an elderly neighbours drive as well since he isnt as fit as he used to be.

• 1 month later...

There was no snow when I was driving to work this morning but by 8 am it was coming down fast an furious. I came home the usual back roads but although above freezing you had to drive with care. I saw a BMW 4 x 4 sitting on it's roof in a field near the Marshall trailer factory and another small car sat on top of a dyke at 90 degrees to the road near Andrew Mitchell Seniors farmhouse at Denmill between Peterculter and Carnie. Anyway when I got home I parked up opposite and got my trusty old Howard 350 fired up and cleared my drive....no point in doing it by hand when I have a plough to do it.....as they say "no point in keeping a dog and barking yourself" ;D  ;D

P1000487.jpg

P1000488.jpg

• Like 1

It's got a lot colder down here over the last few days, temperatures hovering between +5C during the day to +0.2C overnight. It did start to snow a little late last night with just a few flakes falling but turned back to rain by daylight this morning but the wind has been rather fresh from a NNW direction making it feel colder than it actually is. 

Hi Bill,Like this adaption of your rotavator.Might do this myself as i have one of these rotavators but we have escaped the snow at Blackpool but could come in useful for levelling soil out or cleaning muck out in the old farm shippen.Can tell how times have changed though as this would have been done by a shovel and not by machine or is it the old saying if there is an engine outside use it?

It's a hardy old 1967 model Shaun / Stephen and has done a lot of work over the years. The Kohler engine was rebuilt some 20 years ago at an agricultural college my dad worked at before he retired. I paid the new parts and the lecturer did the rebuild to teach the students on small engine rebuilds. My dad also has one and I used it last year to rotovate his garden last year. I also have a older Howard Gem with magneto and crank start and the last time I used it was to break in my new garden on a new housing estate and that was in 1987. I do actually like digging my small back garden since well it is easier and less messier than trying to use the Howard in a small area...since I hate spending more time clearing up than actually doing the job.

The snow is on again but well I suppose it is the time of year we should be getting it...but me thinks I will log on and work from home tomorrow and save at least an hour on travel time to work and back and less chance of ending up in a field and being charged storage by the farmer  8)

P1000489.jpg

P1000490.jpg

Good chance I'm taking my pals JCB 8085zts out clearing snow tomorrow just off the Forfar road, local council don't clear the road our jobs on, so since I'm a gentleman and a great member of society, I'll clear it for then, also the fact we've got 1408 concrete blocks getting deliverd tomorrow morning fun fun fun

Edited by HS.

We had about 6 inch of snow overnight. Coverted to Dutch standards this means 2 metres and the whole country has now collapsed. ;D

That sounds about right! I've never heard so much hysteria over a couple of cm. of snow.

We currently have about 40mm and it's -5 tonight.

• Like 1