The Snow Topic

BC

What would you rather, John? For me it's snow every time, or at least the cold anyway. If you get cold, you can soon work a bit harder to get warm but getting wet is horrible when you're out all day.

Definitely snow. Winter of 2010 was, to me, ideal. A couple of feet of snow which lay for over a month, with temps below -5oC during the day. Proper 'continental' winter where a boiler suit was warm enough!.

Today is slush under the fresh snow on saturated land - messy tomorrow. :)

It snowed off and on most of the day at Dyce...I even had to reverse park this morning instead of my normal drive through ;D   ;D

The roads home via Kingswell's then Westhill and Peterculter were fine but after a stop at the BP filling station and M&S at Peterculter the 4 mile journey to Drumoak was totally different....loads of snow....anyway  I cleared a bit to get my car off road and now the snow has stopped I'm away out to clear the rest...good form of exercise I suppose but I'm beginning to get fed up of this white stuff. In fact I think I will work from home tomorrow since well I have had mum on the phone and my dad who is in his 83rd year still wants to go out and clear snow from his paths and drive and....why I ask he is no longer driving and has no need to go anywhere. I told her to make sure he does not go out and I will come across tomorrow and clear the snow just so he see clear lock block and slabs ;D

P1000564.jpg

The rain we've been having all day, all 11.4mm of it, has now within the last 20 minutes turned to snow and up to now has deposited about 1/2". The chap that keeps some of his cattle on my farm has just looked in after coming over from Princetown on Dartmoor where he farms said that on the road at the Warren House Inn, which is the highest point coming toward me across Dartmoor, is a bit dicey, he pulled out 3 cars and a lorry that wasn't going anywhere. Snowing quite heavily here now.

We're on amber warning here, Mark. I was due to head to Wales with hay tomorrow. Lorry is loaded and ready but doubtful whether I will be going now looking at the various weather websites and the forecasts. 3am rise and shine still but a look out the window will either seal my fate or I will return to bed!!

snowed solid yesterday n last night. got 15 inches of snow on the lawn. was out ploughin n gritting up the valley . quite a few roads will need to be opened up by the snow blower. one contractor admitted defeat as the drift he was tackling was the height of his tractor

• Like 1

No snow here by the coast.From were i live i can see snow from Barrow In Furness right through to Morcambe Bay on the Lake District Mountains.Looks very nice but a nightmare for working in and to travel in.Before you know it the topic will be The Rain Topic Again,To Cold To Work Topic.To Hot To Work Topic If We Are Lucky This Year To Have Any Sun?

• Like 1

Oh and some photos from yesterday out and about delivering logs.

Kennet and Avon canal at Honeystreet.

DSCN0938.jpg

Icicles on thatched roofs near Alton Priors.

DSCN0940.jpg

DSCN0941.jpg

Easterton high street, looking towards The Royal Oak.

DSCN0943.jpg

Looking up towards Salisbury Plain from Eastcott. Old pump house, centre.

DSCN0948.jpg

Cherill Monument from the A4, Labour-in-Vain Hill.

DSCN0949.jpg

• Like 2

The 20 JD tractors and snowploughs that Masons Kings supplied Teignbridge Council were off the road over the weekend, they hadn't realised that the wheels on the ploughs are only meant for a max speed of 30k and they've been using them at 50K  and they've all disintegrated so they can't use them, the wheels keep the blade 2" off the surface to stop them ploughing up the road surface, poor design.

Still snowing here too and the wind is picking up. Local TV said earlier that it was getting pretty bad North of Okehampton and have told everyone that's out to go home and those that are home to stay there.

Yes!! Where is your yard then?

go in to hemyock up past the spar shop , over the speed hump. Then at the top follow road round to the right , you will see a carpark on the left . The yard is on the right, behind the houses. The wood work shop is round the next right hand bend,  next to where the old garage used to be . So you pick up the tractors from culmstock then.?

Well everyday is a school day!!! Yes we do, every now and then. Been there four times now I think to pick up various tractors and machinery. Bit tight going out past the church mind and then I turn around right out past Stags place under the trees where some silage bales are stored and load facing back into the village. Tight on the bridge too mind!! We took both lorries in a while back...

My load.

IMG_1010.jpg

Following the rigid out.

IMG_1011.jpg

Sorry, bit OT!!

• Like 1

Nice pictures Tris, must be a lot colder over your way, it is pretty open country though.

Thanks, Tim. Yes down in the villages it is not too bad as the ground undulates a little bit but along the foot of the Plain is a bit of a wind trap for most. Certainly where I live in Westbury it is sheltered as the winds and rain tend to go up onto the Plain between here and Warminster to out south but alng towards the Lavingtons where I grew up and lived until recently the winds and rain blow back down off of the Plain. Further on again towards Eastcott and the little pump house is a kind of plateau that leads up into the Pewsey Vale, that's open country along there. 'Boys ground'.