The Snow Topic

BC

Well this is the sight that greeted us, Friday morning work up at the log yard. Plenty of people moaning about it but we still got out there and got the loads delivered. Been a good year for it in comparison to the mild winter of last.

DSCN0844.jpg

DSCN0845.jpg

DSCN0846.jpg

DSCN0847.jpg

I arrived home yesterday afternoom to another covering and cleared enough to let teh car off the road before yoking my trusting old Horward 350....no point in making work when you can do it an easier way. Fist thoough i had to check the oil levels...since well she leaks a lot of gearbox oil. On day i will have to bite the bullet and split her to sort that out but thtas a failrly long job.

P1000550.jpg

P1000551-1.jpg

P1000552-1.jpg

Only a dusting overnight and 2 to 3 degrees so I went the normal back roads to work. After 10 miles the drifts started shame they were all in downhill stretches :angry:

Arrived at work to find my space blocked...but out with the shovel and that was rectified quite quickly.and then drove over the top f it.

P1000558.jpg

P1000557.jpg

Hopefully will get off of here today Bill not holding out much hope after seeing what is coming Aberdeen's way. 

Weather here up in the northern north sea is cold but dry only seen a few snow flurries in 2 weeks, but it has been bitterly cold 

Its a useful 43 year old machine Philip. My dad has a yoinger one which reminds me I must fit a new cord to tye recoil starter and get  it running again and get his garden rotovated after the ground dries up after all the snow ;D  ;D

Hopefully will get off of here today Bill not holding out much hope after seeing what is coming Aberdeen's way. 

Weather here up in the northern north sea is cold but dry only seen a few snow flurries in 2 weeks, but it has been bitterly cold 

So far today in Dyce it has been more hail or sleet than the actual white stuff Rob so I hope you get off

Still around 3 inches taking residence on my Ivor William' s trailer...but hey ho it has a trade plate floor and is galvanised and is  now in it's 21st year and has been a good buy for me....£ 1,800 so I have had it now for 20 years so it had done me well  8) 

P1000559.jpg

Drive cleared by hand 

P1000560.jpg

P1000561.jpg

Tonight it looks as although it is turning fresh 8) 

P1000562.jpg

P1000563.jpg

I find my self a rather good driver, if I was driving today instead of the labourer I would have just left the interlink van spinning and drive write past, because every time I get something deliverd from them, it's either late, lost or damaged

Edited by HS.
  • Like 1

no snow here agin, but did get woken up at 5am by a big thunderstorm, and what i asumed was heavy rain, now got up to find arround 2" of frozen hard hail, plymouth arround this part is gridlocked and the wifes been told not to travel down into cornwall, due to the predicted weather coming in, the fact she cant, or her work mate, cant get out of tour roads let alone further out, and apparently several major accidents a bit further down on the main road to, good job i am on my day off

A38 shut other side of the Tamar Sean. Ice on the hi according to our Lynn on Radio 2. We had another dusting last night, nothing worth getting excited about but heavier snow is expected later today in a mix of sleet and rain.

Temperature rose a couple of degrees last night and it's been raining overnight so all is well at present but the ground is still very cold so what snow we have will take a bit of shifting by natural forces. I hate snow.

its total choas out there trissy, it seems the hail storm we had was very localised round where we live, here i have 2" of it , now frozen solid and its raining on it , just 1 mile down the road its 5-6" deep, again freezing , a bus went over first thing, a38 is now closed both ways, cornwall side and at marsh mills, just taken me 1 and a 1/4 hrs to do 4 miles, 2 miles each way  dropping sophie to the child minders as they couldnt get over there first thing, a38 is as white as snow, no tracks on it at all, so the accident must have been first thing arround 5ish when it all kicked off

on the plus side, some great sheets of lightening to be seen

Everybody complains bitterly when we have a bit of snow, most say that we in the UK are very ill prepared opposed to other countries that have snow in the winter as the norm but it's quite right what they say, we here get the 'wrong' snow and being at 52 degrees lattitude and an Island surrounded by sea our climate has a very high humidity and the snow that falls is wet whereas in other more Northern lattitudes the humidity is much less so the snow is much drier and 'powdery' which makes it more managable and does not compact to ice as it does here so you can travel on it ok. plus in these Countries it is a legal requirement that you fit winter tyres to your vehicles at this time of year. Over 1/2 the people driving on snow covered roads here have no need to whatsoever which makes for big problems for those that do have to so if you don't need to, then don't, let the idiots smash up their own cars and not involve ours and cause even more chaos and misery and un-needed expence!