The Snow Topic

BC

There was no snow on ther ground when I left home this morning but it was starting to snow and was bitterly cold with the wind. The temperature was above freezing so time to use the back roads again I thought. The first half of the jorney was fine but then as I climbed out of Skene and towards the Woogle crossroads there was quite a lot of drifts but nothing to stop me. A little further on before a down hill and a series of thee 90 degree bends I saw a car coming so I stopped and waited and waited...then I saw hazzards on so this car was stuck. About turn back to Woogle and then to Blackburn and then up the A96....I should have gone the main road to Aberdeen and round the ring road but hey ho I got there safe and sound and only 10 minutes longer than normal 8)

Edited by BC

More snow and there's only millimetres were the winds blown the snow away but there's three foot drifts in other places.

SAM_2066_zpsb0bb0151.jpg

SAM_2067_zpsaab75489.jpg

The winds been blowing the snow that much all of this got through a closed garage door.

SAM_2064_zps829de472.png

Finally there's even enough snow to ski- In 1/50th that is. Had the Pisten Bully grooming out on the drifts

SAM_2072_zps3b2cb8b8.jpg

SAM_2076_zps6b991e19.jpg

SAM_2079_zps3cc3ce64.jpg

Just a light dressing of over 6 inches in comparison in Aberdeenshire 8)...thaw on yesterday and off the roof so that is good it will save removing the gutters as it did at the front a couple of years ago.

P1010760_zps22f8bfd0.jpg

But now freezing

P1010761_zps122a4b60.jpg

Visibility not good  cannot see Bennachie 's "Mither Tap" circa 1,733 feet

P1010762_zpsac8799a3.jpg

Being snowing in Dyce since 5am. But we have a rather nice New Holland in clearing the works car park.

P1010745_zpsa6e76b86.jpg

I was trying to edit this post not submit a new one...but there does not seem to be an option to delete a post by members or I'm I missing something????

Edited by BC

pretty much the same as above , similar area cumbria, durham, northumberland. borders. snow blown hard all day with several roads completley  blocked.

we will need to use the snow blower once the winds have eased, but looking at the forecast it may be a while off

An MOD Chinhook Helicopter flown by the RAF has been deployed too air lift and drop needed supplies to stranded people in houses and feed to livestock out in the fields in certain areas over here.. 

Thats when you know it's bad!  :of

An MOD Chinhook Helicopter flown by the RAF has been deployed too air lift and drop needed supplies to stranded people in houses and feed to livestock out in the fields in certain areas over here.. 

12 foot drifts in places!  :of Never seen anything like it in all my years

I saw that fly over my house at about half three this afternoon ;D an amazing machine that makes a brilliant noise :)

Not wanting to annoy you but here's a photo from yesterday. Ploughing and drilling beet. I feel sorry for you chaps with all that bloody white stuff!

No snow at all here, Niels but soil temp. under 3oC and air temp hovering around zero so a bit cool for sowing. :-

Another 3 inches of snow at Drumoak today so working from home in split shifts today between some other activities 8)

P1010799_zpsccda5c04.jpg

P1010800_zps2be07e1b.jpg

Did have the Howard 350 out to clear in the forenoon  but now brilliant sunshine.

This cold weather is being blamed on the jet stream sitting too high this year.

Whilst everyone is freezing the north sea has been lovely for the past 2 weeks with mainly lovely sunshine and dry also no high winds.

It has been cold but when out of the breeze is glorious.

drift on the northumberland/ durham border is around 8 foot deep . we have had 2 snow blowers working for the last 3 days in the upper east n west allen valleys .

just hope the wind keeps down

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...