Shaun Britains Collection

stevestoys

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like those old boxes, and especially interesting to see which boxes were used for the 3 furrow plough & muledozer before the packing crate style boxes were introduced.

I like the bagged sets of Barrett's chickens even more - certainly haven't seen those before (but I do, of course, have some of the chooks as loose items)  

Are these Barrett's chickens by what was Taylor and Barrett? so after a(Post War?) split? or repackaged Britains. Its a nice logo on the packaging looking like a stylised soldier in bearskin hat not too dissimilar to the Britains logo

Are these Barrett's chickens by what was Taylor and Barrett? so after a(Post War?) split? or repackaged Britains. Its a nice logo on the packaging looking like a stylised soldier in bearskin hat not too dissimilar to the Britains logo

Yes, those Barretts, and yes the logo is similar to the Britains guardsman logo. I'm not sure who copied who.

A.R. Barrett and his sons Alfred and Bert started their half of the post-war reincarnation of T&B at 9 Sonderburg Road (1946? 1947?), apparently a small and unsuitable building for a toy factory, and had to move out in 1970, when it and the local area were demolished for redevelopment. They moved out to New Addington, near Croydon, where they rented a part of the factory of A. Barton & Co. (Toys) Ltd, who made dolls houses and the furniture to go in them + other stuff. The Barretts had known Mr Barton since 1953, and had sold most of their dolls house items via Barton & Co since then. About 1982/3 Alfred & Bert Barrett were approaching retirement, and Mr Barrett senior had long since died, so they sold out to Bartons, who continued to make the dolls house items, but probably not the farm stuff.

The other half of the former partnership, F.G.Taylor & Sons (actually son Fred jnr and son-in-law Fred Squires - must have been confusing) lasted about the same time, circa 1946/47 to 1980, and were at 22 Hampden Road, Upper Holloway. N19.

As is well known, the old T&B factory was destroyed in the wartime Blitz.   

One Of The Best Tractors Britains Did.The 1884 Yellow County Tractor..Thats If You Like County Tractors?

I have that one as well Shaun and well a photo of  a "real deal" yellow County which I must try and find...yes I like County's...quite  an iconic tractor .

Great classics you have Shaun..plenty of blues too

Glad you like the photos and the blues too :) .You are not by any chance a Ford man are you?Dont worry all you red fans i have to start on them yet ;) Better not forget the green army of fans as well!!!! And for all the farm fanatics in France your prized Renault tractors and tractor sets.

intresting, i have never seen that volvo rear back hoe set with a black front loader in it, just the standard red ones,

Sean and Shaun I have this one but only with one driver operator and in blue boiler suit. Would some models been issued with a tractor driver and digger operator...kinda seems odd or maybe human error at the Britain's packing department :huh:

P1020745.jpg

Sean and Shaun I have this one but only with one driver operator and in blue boiler suit. Would some models been issued with a tractor driver and digger operator...kinda seems odd or maybe human error at the Britain's packing department :huh:

P1020745.jpg

Hi Bill,The sets would have come with 2 Tractor drivers.

Archived