Ploughing at NCC's

NCC

Snapped these on Wednesday after we had replaced some of the worn parts points, shins etc on our Ransomes 4 furrow. The others were taken today out in the field. Soil is a good mixture of clay and loam with plenty of shear bolt breakers aka stones/boulders chucked in, trying to keep the plough running in a straigt line when you hit one is nigh on impossible, it just gets shunted over or you stop dead and have to lift the plough over them. We only plough at about 8-10 inchs due to the ground being basically rock when you go any deeper. Note, don't use mineral based grease on your plough when greasing everything for the winter, as when the dairy cows escape they lick it all off :D :D :D As you can see though the soil soon polishes the mouldboards etc up in no time ;) ;)

Any questions ask away ;):)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ripping up perfectly good lawnmowing ground! :o :o :o::)

Nice shots mate, still can't believe ye all are starting plowing this early, havent even gotten the dung spreaders out around here!

Yes I hate ploughing >:( >:(:D :D :D

If ye are just trying to get the dirt up, send me over with me new toy, the differential lock is quite usefull of it! ;D Few donuts and ye should be all set. :D :D :D :D ;D

Ripping up perfectly good lawnmowing ground! :o :o :o::)

Nice shots mate, still can't believe ye all are starting plowing this early, havent even gotten the dung spreaders out around here!

Sorry beetie, I've just bought you an air ticket with United so you can come and mow it for me before I do anymore. You'll soon rattle through 40 acres won't you?? Oh and you will take the grass away with you won't you :D :D :D :D ::) ::)

great pics nath,see you have the new rear screen in place ,all warm and cosy now eh

Aye, I'm as snug as a bug in a rug at the moment sean. Had to have the air con on today mind, had a reet sweat on ::) ::):D :D :D

good pictures and like i said in another post get a auto reset :D :D (get more land first to afford it)

Are you running at 14 or 16 inch wide furrow nath ???

Can you be my agricultural advisor MFF ???:D :D :D :D ;) ;)

Running on a 16 inch furrow at the moment ;) ;)

not very straight furrow!!!?  do better than that wit me hands behind me back and a blind fold!

only joking but youve got to make fun of someone in a day!

I'll hold you to that Ruski, it's not my fault I've got a banana plough is it :'( :'( :'( :'(

You've upset me now :'( :'( :-\ :-\

hes got a point, ya furrow mark is based on the shape of a banana! ha ha! (been tought by my grandad and have to keep a strieght furrow) i supose you have to make allowances as you are having to drive a mf! what do u make of the mf? we have a 6180 and its been spot on but i drive a 6270 and it spends more time in the workshop than in the field!

I tell ya the stones shunt the plough across, it's not me getting bored,honest :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah the 6180 is alright, she's had her little niggles like most tractors, main spool block hose bursting, needed new brakes, handbrake sticking, 3rd gear not selecting, nothing to worry about too much though. She can pull though and that dynashift is very handy ;D ;D

Wouldn't buy a new Massey now though, like the 6400 series, had a go in one in Febuary and didn't like it one bit, gearbox was like a bag of spanners and that dyna 6 is too silly to laugh at ::) ::)::)

Guest Fendt pwr

Thats intersting to see and read nath,thanks.

So will you not look at another MF or just the new ones?

You'd walk away with that plough wound'nt you?

I wouldn't look at the 6400 series no, wouldn't mind an 8400 series or one of the older 6200 series though, just not a 6400 ;) ;) ;)

Yeah I pretty much walked away in most places, in the clay parts though you had to knock the dynashift down a bit though, averaged about 6k I'd say ;) ;) ;)

from one ploughman to another nath you won't get any praise or critisism from me mate just good to see it's burying it all well ,as for the stones a minor nusance at the best of times , is your ground all like that & clay ?, up-cerne was like ploughing a quarry , flint & shale on one half the farm & hard chalk the other :-\ a set of points would last approx 4 days & thats reversed  !! we had 3 ploughs  1 5 f rev kvernland auto reset & 2 old 4 f rev red overum sprung kickbacks,all pulled by JD 7710's with front weight tat cane to about 1/2a ton as some of the slopes were evil ,especially when you were on the chalk, it was like a salmon trying to swim up river ,  a straight line was a bonus , keeping it in the ground was the challenge  :-\

nice pics nath , when the massey comes up for replacement what do you think you'll go for next ?

ps. fancy driving milk tankers on a job swap for a while ? :) 

from one ploughman to another nath you won't get any praise or critisism from me mate just good to see it's burying it all well ,as for the stones a minor nusance at the best of times , is your ground all like that & clay ?, up-cerne was like ploughing a quarry , flint & shale on one half the farm & hard chalk the other :-\ a set of points would last approx 4 days & thats reversed  !! we had 3 ploughs  1 5 f rev kvernland auto reset & 2 old 4 f rev red overum sprung kickbacks,all pulled by JD 7710's with front weight tat cane to about 1/2a ton as some of the slopes were evil ,especially when you were on the chalk, it was like a salmon trying to swim up river ,  a straight line was a bonus , keeping it in the ground was the challenge  :-\

nice pics nath , when the massey comes up for replacement what do you think you'll go for next ?

ps. fancy driving milk tankers on a job swap for a while ? :) 

Yep our ground is preety much clay/loam in the Belper area with plenty of stones thrown in for good measure. Sounds like we have the same problem as you on one of our slopes, ploughing stones and trying to keep a straight furrow. I didn't take any pics of that field as I got a right bend going up the slope that I couldn't even out. I don't care though it's buried the grass pretty well which is the most important part :D :D :D

Don't know what I'll swap the Massey for yet, I change my mind most weeks ::). A Fastrac would be good but not sure how good it would be in the field, visibilty, turning circle etc aren't that brilliant. I'm thinking of going back to the tractor I spent thousands of hours on discing stubble with and that would be a Case MX, nice, solid tractor easy to maintain and drive and I know them pretty much inside out ;) ;) ;) ;)

nice pics there Nath!, no real questions from me, sorry  :(

all taken on your phone i guess :)???

Taken on the phone yes FB, hence the crap quality :-\ :-\ :-\

I'm thinking of going back to the tractor I spent thousands of hours on discing stubble with and that would be a Case MX, nice, solid tractor easy to maintain and drive and I know them pretty much inside out ;) ;) ;) ;)

thought you were going to say a DB 1212 for a moment :D :D

IF you were going to switch tractors i'd go for MX 170 if your on about MX's plenty of power will look fine in front of 5 furrows and will pull 6 fine, but i suspose it's a bit big for you so the MX 135 would be perfect only thing to watch out for is early ones i head some bad stories about them

Guest Fendt pwr

You'd have a job to find a tractor that has not had a few problems,every brand exp massey have had there sheare of problems. :)

Every brand has

MF 61 and 81 series

JD - all the 20 series

Fendt - some of earlier 800 varios

NH - larger tm's

Case IH - larger mxm's and early MX's

JCB - all of them except the newer ones

Been at it again today, this time in some proper soil with no stones whatsoever ;D ;D ;D Did all 8 acres in 6 hours, which is very good as this field is about as mis-shaped as they come, 13 headlands if you count them all :o :o :o Managed to get a good 10k in places, 7k was about the average speed though. She sounded sweet when we hit the odd patch of clay too. Had to have the door open some of the time just to listen to it :D :D :D It beats the whine of the big hydraulic pump, when the back window is open ::) ::)