Classic Tractor January 2014

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its the February issue I presume ye are talking about !!! Topic title says January issue!!! ;D  ;D  ;D  . Anyways I got a good read from the Old & New compared  with the NH T7.210 & the Ford 4000 with the trailers.  The SEM Engineering topic is also a great read. 

Great issue again Rory.  ;)

Paulali

I'm with '590' on this one, ref CT availability. I'd say most of the local independent newsagents will stock CT, and maybe a Tesco, certainly quite a few W H Smith newsagents. Devon is a good area for us in terms of readers.

Still on a mag theme, is the latest issue of Model Farmer out? I've not seen one in my newsagents for a while, hoping it might have a bit on the new JD 50 Series from Britains.

Regards

Rory

Its the February issue I presume ye are talking about !!! Topic title says January issue!!! ;D  ;D  ;D  . Anyways I got a good read from the Old & New compared  with the NH T7.210 & the Ford 4000 with the trailers.  The SEM Engineering topic is also a great read. 

Great issue again Rory.  ;)

Mine has just arrived back from town.

One major typo on the 4000/T7.210 article though.

A 4000 needed at least 8 tons behind it, not 5 tons. 5 tons was more suited to the 3600.

SPN,

I disagree. This wasn't a typo, it was based on what was/is a sensible load for a Ford 4000. I've spent countless hours on a 4600 with a Q cab and anything more than 5-6t behind it and it was tail wagging the dog time. Sure, it would take off with an 8t trailer, but not safe and certainly not capable of climbing any hills at an acceptable speed.

I've never seen any Ford 4000s with tandem axle 8t trailers in these parts, not forgetting that these would have been very big trailers in the heyday of the Ford 4000, more suited to a 5000 or 7000.

Just my opinion anyway. But it wasn't a typographical error...it was intended to appear as 5t.

RD

SPN,

I disagree. This wasn't a typo, it was based on what was/is a sensible load for a Ford 4000. I've spent countless hours on a 4600 with a Q cab and anything more than 5-6t behind it and it was tail wagging the dog time. Sure, it would take off with an 8t trailer, but not safe and certainly not capable of climbing any hills at an acceptable speed.

I've never seen any Ford 4000s with tandem axle 8t trailers in these parts, not forgetting that these would have been very big trailers in the heyday of the Ford 4000, more suited to a 5000 or 7000.

Just my opinion anyway. But it wasn't a typographical error...it was intended to appear as 5t.

RD

No worries Rory. I was being tongue in cheek.

(and a 4000 will walk up a hill with 8 tons of grain behind it in low 1st or low 2nd. I did it many a time ;)  )

Paul can t  you get it posted to you  mate  from them  at CT ??? i used to get it that way when it 1 st came out  , i ll even go in to me local Tesco s shop  to see if they do it & i hate the shop ha ha!   -Other then that you ll have to move a little up land ;D

We ran both a 4000 & 4600 Fritz cab a few years back. They would both handle 8 ton alright ,but they would struggle & serious weight would be needed up front or you would have front wheels in the air.  . 5 to 6 ton was more manageable . Strangely enough we found the 4600 that wee bit more powerful than the 4000 even tough the both had a rating of 62 HP. We think .... considering the 4600 was a produced in 1982 outa Antwerp that it might have had a 4610 engine . Not sure. !! But it was probably one of the last to roll off the Antwerp production line.  She could hold if not pass our contractors Dual Power  Ford 5000 carting silage with the same size trailers !!! And thats fact!!!Pure little rocket back in the day. 

We ran both a 4000 & 4600 Fritz cab a few years back. They would both handle 8 ton alright ,but they would struggle & serious weight would be needed up front or you would have front wheels in the air.  . 5 to 6 ton was more manageable . Strangely enough we found the 4600 that wee bit more powerful than the 4000 even tough the both had a rating of 62 HP. We think .... considering the 4600 was a produced in 1982 outa Antwerp that it might have had a 4610 engine . Not sure. !! But it was probably one of the last to roll off the Antwerp production line.  She could hold if not pass our contractors Dual Power  Ford 5000 carting silage with the same size trailers !!! And thats fact!!!Pure little rocket back in the day. 

Mind me asking what contractor Justin ? :) Thinking Spaceman but theres a few around  ;D

Mind me asking what contractor Justin ? :) Thinking Spaceman but theres a few around  ;D

No no. Kilcorney based contractor, thats were we had the farm. His name was John Sullivan . He ran a Ford 7700 with a Tarupp double chop, 6600 Fritz cab  & a 5000 carting. He no longer does it . Id say Spaceman was running a few 7000's & mutant 7700 back then.  ;)

Yep that s the trouble if the shops not selling many then they tend to stop getting them in  i have same trouble with my other  mag   i get :-X & i give up on the Mrs picking up the CT as she said i see way far too many tractors on here ha ha!

Back in 1977 we had a FORD 4600 with bubble cab and we used it to take sugar beet into Ipswich factory about 10 miles from are farm the trailer was a thames -trader lorry body which we had put a drawbar on and we could get 9tons of beet in it yes front wheels come of ground a few times but we managed we used the 4600 as it had a pick-up hitch as the 6600 we had only had drawbar and the trailer only being single axle made this bend.The reason for using 4600 an trailer to take beet in was because lorry drivers were on strike. we sold this tractor a few years ago but was told its still working in NORTON in Suffolk the tractors reg was SDX103R

No no. Kilcorney based contractor, thats were we had the farm. His name was John Sullivan . He ran a Ford 7700 with a Tarupp double chop, 6600 Fritz cab  & a 5000 carting. He no longer does it . Id say Spaceman was running a few 7000's & mutant 7700 back then.  ;)

That 7700s still going Tw-15 power now though !  :of His best was the 6ft NH Double chop on the 25 imo though  :laugh:  

That 7700s still going Tw-15 power now though !  :of His best was the 6ft NH Double chop on the 25 imo though  :laugh:  

Yeah. Early 90's when he had that outfit, until the Claas Jags came  onboard. Cronins Bros Ford 8100 was another beast in the area back then. TW-25 engine under her bonnet. Its standing in retirement under cover at the moment,but Greg plans to bring the old beast back to life in the near future.  

Yeah. Early 90's when he had that outfit, until the Claas Jags came  onboard. Cronins Bros Ford 8100 was another beast in the area back then. TW-25 engine under her bonnet. Its standing in retirement under cover at the moment,but Greg plans to bring the old beast back to life in the near future.  

Cronins have some gear about themselves now ! See the Genesis on the pottinger Butterflys ?

Justin and John.....sounds as though these old fleets from back in the day could be an article idea for Rory.... Interviews with contractors....."Carting down Memory Lane" ;)::) What you reckon?? Years ago nearby us Coar's ran a pair of Roadless's on a pair of big engine on JF's drag filling with a fleet of Ford's and a lone 674 nash on carting duties.... in later years they went to the 1905 and 2305 and now run the 2305 and an FX450 with a fleet that's all blue ranging from a 7740 to a tm140 8)

Justin and John.....sounds as though these old fleets from back in the day could be an article idea for Rory.... Interviews with contractors....."Carting down Memory Lane" ;)::) What you reckon?? Years ago nearby us Coar's ran a pair of Roadless's on a pair of big engine on JF's drag filling with a fleet of Ford's and a lone 674 nash on carting duties.... in later years they went to the 1905 and 2305 and now run the 2305 and an FX450 with a fleet that's all blue ranging from a 7740 to a tm140 8)

There was certainly some very unique machineery around these parts back in the day the thing is I dont know if there are any pictures of any of it !  :-

The might do. Classic tractor have done many a feature on machines in my area in the past . Only thing is lots of these old machines have moved on since or been retired . But the area were myself & John come from being North West Co Cork was FORD tractor country & kinda still is to this day & Fiatagri were another big seller. But the JDs & Valtras are gaining on the NHs now in the area in terms of modern brands. But BLUE is still the most popular colour.

Aye It's probably the only real problem.... too many of yesterday's classics have vanished.... with only memories of those that saw them in their heyday left now. The farm near us, i think the only tractor left from the 80's fleet will be the AP cabbed 4610... came new for the summer season in about 87...... now resigned to the scraper!!

Archived