Grass is on down west

Tractorman810

Well April the 10th and silage is on down here , just gone along the lane down whitsand bay in South cornwall and met a deutz with redrock silage trailer full of grass?? Got past to find a field with a class jag leading two nh and red rocks along with a class arion rowing up in front, short distance away was another deutz with twin mowers cutting another field, have to say the grass he was cutting looked pretty high and thick to. Anyone else close to going yet?

Well April the 10th and silage is on down here , just gone along the lane down whitsand bay in South cornwall and met a deutz with restock silage trailer full of grass?? Got past to find a field with a class jag leading two nh and red rocks along with a class arion rowing up in front, short distance away was another deutz with twin mowers cutting another field, have to say the grass he was cutting looked pretty high and thick to. Anyone else close to going yet?

No. It has only just started growing here, and thanks to the sheep there won't be any for a while yet!

I thought It seemed early but it did look a good cut , the fields are some of the more level ones there so maybe they are planning some maize or spring wheat in it , was surprised to see it , would have got some pics but I would have blocked the lane or their field entrance to be able to stop. I may be back out there next week so will see if they are ploughing it up or anything

That's when it usually goes this way Justin, I doubt they are short of silage as they did ok last year, so I can only asume as pat said they are turning it over for another crop and didn't want to waste it? The last few weeks have been very kind weather wise and the grass does seem to have shot up more than usual,plenty of rolling going on right now which again seems a bit early to me,compared to usual

I also saw a picture on Facebook of some grass being cut ant in the comments it did say it was going into maize. Seems like a logical idea as you would still get a bit of a window to spray the grass off and maybe spread some muck before drilling. But around this way I can't see anyone looking ready to cut just yet.

The type/verity of grass etc etc has a massive impact on things.

What grasses are you guys all waiting for? 

How long do farmers leave a grass paddock sown down?

we pull our silage leys up and re-seed every 3 years ol. Straight ryegrass mix, and if we re-seed a grazing ley, we add clover.

Have seen some people going for about a month now. Some early bits and pieces that were left over from last year, or some that wanted fresh fodder.

That's interesting Niels. Do they want fresh fodder for its better nutrients or are the running low on food. Around my way there seems to be quite a few farmers hoping the grass doesn't grow too quickly all of a sudden as they have quite a bit of silage left over.

Much the same here I think Tommy as farmers have cut a LOT of grass last year. But I know of three dairy farmers in my area that will go out on a daily basis and cut fresh grass. I reckon they just make less silage and prefer it this way? I have never asked them.

I was wondering if they are zero grazing and not silaging yet?

Rather than cause damage to the soil by poaching under the cattle hooves, bring the grass in to them in the sheds

The type/verity of grass etc etc has a massive impact on things.

What grasses are you guys all waiting for? 

How long do farmers leave a grass paddock sown down?

Currently waiting for some growth on the permanent pasture the cattle graze, all our grass currently is perennial ryegrass and clover but we are looking to put some rotational grass in the arable which would be down for 2-3 years

Rather than cause damage to the soil by poaching under the cattle hooves, bring the grass in to them in the sheds

I do know of people that zero graze but most if not all of them seem to use pick up wagons rather than jags , and 3 tractors plus leading away.

Heck....thats very early.. There must be savage growth down that side of the country...We wont have a first cut over here till at least mid May at the earliest ..

Contractor I drive for was out Mowing this day last week Justin Italian Rye grass though and only 8 acres of it !

Yes this is zero grazing Mike. Saw some pictures on local contractors Facebook pagina Sunday that they were out as well with two wagons making silage and clamping. I reckon on some fields that will be maize? Despite the cold weather the grass has grown quite well but, since there was an abundance of silage made last year no one seems in a hurry.

not got back that way yet to see if they have ploughed it up or anything yet , but on the way back from truro today, just past a place called roache I saw a jag parked up  , looked to be waiting for a tractor as the field seemed to have been cut and half picked up???? with swathes left in front of him, have to say the grass in a good few fields  along the road did look pretty well grown?? as per the last lot I saw , only noticed him as I was in the road works doing a lovely 25 mph due to all the bloody tourists  heading east  

Archived