Paul Palmer's conversions

well i have done the cab,i remembered that tamiya flat aluminium is a very good match for silver mist,looks like i have to reposition the left hand mirror,it looks pants at the moment,not sure to weather it yet,i also broke the lower right window while putting it back in,im getting another 590 for its rear wheels for another mf project,so i will take that piece of glass from the cab from that 590, mirrors and door handles put back on

uh mf 590 001.JPG

uh mf 590 002.JPG

uh mf 590 003.JPG

uh mf 590 004.JPG

Edited by paulali
  • Like 3

I have found that the track widths too wide on the standard model Paul. And you may have discovered that the tractor doesn't sit level, this is due to the 2 rear axle trumpets not being attached level, it takes a bit of cutting and adjusting to get this right, I have a 590 4wd planned at some stage for myself and would like to narrow the track width a bit but unfortunately this means cutting the front axle and rejoining it probably around the centre, just a pity UH didn't get these things right at the time because most things about the tractor are good, the not sitting level is very apparent when looking at it from the back and this bothered me a lot

1 hour ago, B O R said:

I have found that the track widths too wide on the standard model Paul. And you may have discovered that the tractor doesn't sit level, this is due to the 2 rear axle trumpets not being attached level, it takes a bit of cutting and adjusting to get this right, I have a 590 4wd planned at some stage for myself and would like to narrow the track width a bit but unfortunately this means cutting the front axle and rejoining it probably around the centre, just a pity UH didn't get these things right at the time because most things about the tractor are good, the not sitting level is very apparent when looking at it from the back and this bothered me a lot

never noticed it Brian,mine seems to sit right,i allways thought the rear tracking width was way off,but trawling the internet and having a chat with sean about this before im happy with the rear track width,and the front lines up with the rear,i also remembered you saying about where the silver mist meets the red on the cab and most people when doing this to the cab had the line down to low,again from the internet and brochures,the very first 500 series did have the line down low,also the part of the cab by the bottom of the front windscreen was silvermist,after only one year i think the line was moved higher up by the door handle and the part of the cab by the bottom of the windscreen was red,as in the 2 pictures above,picture below of the line on the cab down low and silvermist by the bottom of the front windscreen

590 0.jpg

Edited by paulali
  • Like 1

i definitely must push on with another few 500s next year as I'm very fond of them, I remember drawing silage with an early 4wd example like in your above pic, bad lock and awkward wheel centres for going through narrow gates etc. The later 4wd was much better and in later years I got to drive one over many miles going from farm to farm with a slurry pump. My most desirable 590 4wd would be a very late example with the red cab and sliding side window...

14 hours ago, paulali said:

well i have done the cab,i remembered that tamiya flat aluminium is a very good match for silver mist,looks like i have to reposition the left hand mirror,it looks pants at the moment,not sure to weather it yet,i also broke the lower right window while putting it back in,im getting another 590 for its rear wheels for another mf project,so i will take that piece of glass from the cab from that 590, mirrors and door handles put back on

uh mf 590 001.JPG

uh mf 590 002.JPG

uh mf 590 003.JPG

uh mf 590 004.JPG

That coming on very well nice looking work on the cab .. 

• Like 1

Do love a good 590 , use to drive a red cab 4wd and a silver cab  2wd , there's not much difference sitting in a 4wd 590 and a 2wd 595 as we use to use the bosses brothers 595 during cauliflower planting . Have plans to do a2wd 590 and a 595 , I know the 595 won't be 100% but might have to strip down a 2620 and offer it up to the 590 body work , great work Paul keep them coming mate 

You can adjust the rear track easy enough, just pop the rear axel stubs off and shorten them along with the axel, other option is a fit a pair of uh 1200/1250 tyres on the rims, kind of hides the issue so to speak , well to the eye a bit better ,but still out , helps hide it if you swap the front tyres to,uh cx105 tyres in original hubs

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nathan said:

Do love a good 590 , use to drive a red cab 4wd and a silver cab  2wd , there's not much difference sitting in a 4wd 590 and a 2wd 595 as we use to use the bosses brothers 595 during cauliflower planting . Have plans to do a2wd 590 and a 595 , I know the 595 won't be 100% but might have to strip down a 2620 and offer it up to the 590 body work , great work Paul keep them coming mate 

thanks Nathan,few more mf's are in the pipeline

2 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

You can adjust the rear track easy enough, just pop the rear axel stubs off and shorten them along with the axel, other option is a fit a pair of uh 1200/1250 tyres on the rims, kind of hides the issue so to speak , well to the eye a bit better ,but still out , helps hide it if you swap the front tyres to,uh cx105 tyres in original hubs

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

cheers Sean,i know we discussed the rear track width before

well,back from the outlaws for xmas,only been home a couple of hours and started on my uh mf 690,im using the uh 590 wheels,as we all know that the original wheels on the 690 are naff,ive made my decision but would like to know other members views on the tractor tyre options,first 3 pictures are of the 590 wheels and tyres the last 3 are of the 590 wheels with the 690 tyres,which do you guys prefer?

uh mf 600 001.JPG

uh mf 600 002.JPG

uh mf 600 003.JPG

uh mf 690 004.JPG

uh mf 690 005.JPG

uh mf 690 006.JPG