Claas Commandor 228.

JEP

Class Commander 228. 

The model is about 80-85% scratch built.  Main parts used - from a Norev 108 = cab, (With new beacon, airiel added, and 2 work lights removed, plus some extra interior detailing)  part of the platform, together with part of the front platform railings are again off a 108. Also the rear axle and feed elevator -  come from a Norev 108, although these have been heavily modified. The rear white hood is also from the norev, with rear lights and "made in Germany" decal added. The straw chopper is partly from the 108.

For the header, (7.5 metre)  l have used the red Tucano reel, the auger and the skids underneath the header. The dividers are also off the Claas Tucano, although modified. 

The wheels/tyres are from PMA, these are 1050 fronts, and 600 rears. 

The bulk of the build is plasticard sheet, channel, box and tube, with some brass inside the body and rear hood for strength, the unloading auger is also made from brass. 

DSC_0343.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

DSC_0345.JPG

_20171120_180515.JPG

_20171120_180405.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

DSC_0347.JPG

DSC_0348.JPG

DSC_0352.JPG

DSC_0349.JPG

DSC_0350.JPG

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:32 AM, Valley Axe Man said:

As others have said already, that's a fantastic bit of work there :)  Round us a combine is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard so i not too much into them but i know that's a build to be proud of :)

Cheers Paul, much appreciated :)

You may not have many combines - but I bet you have plenty of mighty fine forage harvesters to watch :) I would love to see a Krone 1100 at full tilt....;)

23 hours ago, Fenside MF said:

top quality build;)

Thanks for that Jamie :)

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, bluegreen said:

Really excellent work, although the rear tyres could be the wrong way round?   Did you know Wiking were going to make the 228 before you started?

Thanks Bluegreen. again much appreciated :)

Regarding the tyres - hope I'm not opening up a can of worms on this one :D but I was always told for a non driven axle - treaded tyres in the main - should be fitted in reverse, -  the reasons given 1. In sticky conditions the cleats clean themselves better 2. for road work - less wear on the tyre/less vibriation from the tyre 3. Also  - again on a non driven steering axle (like a combine) in softer/sticky conditions - you get a more positive control over the steering. Whether any of this is scientifically proven  - I wouldn't know, just what I've always been told ;) This all applies to a non driven wheel - but having said that a friend who runs 3 4wd lexions still runs the treaded rear driven wheels with the tread pattern facing the wrong way - due to the fact - that before we get to stuck (hopefully....:D) when reversing back out of a wet hole - we effectively have positive 4wd on the rear tyre. 

As for the Wiking model - I must admit I was a little disappointed when I heard a 228 was going to be produced (I took all the measurements/photographs (250+) and started the build around 3 years ago), so in August/September - when It came out about a mainstream 228 (just as I was coming to the end of the build) I had very mixed feelings (I had always hoped if they did produce one it would be 115 or 116 - as they were far more common than the 228), but having said that, now that it is completed, I am pleased how it has turned out - and now its finished I am going to get back to my Claas Dominator 105 (although I have no excuse - as the build is complete/with grey white primer applied - all that is needed is the Claas green and white, plus the decals - but I have been saying that for the last 3 years.......:D)

31 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i only really noticed this topic while away  :unsure: :unsure: sorry john, all i can say is WOW , thats amazing work 

Thanks very much Sean, much appreciated :) , although its still not as good as your MF 625/JD or Lely!!  

Archived