Nelson bale trailer

Hi all,

looking at future project and fancy doing a Nelson bale trailer as per attached photo.  Apologies for quality. 

I’m fairly sure it’s a 24 footer as used to hold 5x jd round bales (don’t think they made bigger than 24’ with single axle?)

its the 6’ wide version as has exposed wheels. 

I’ve attached brochure of an 8’ version however the whole chassis structure of the one in the brochure is much more complex than the one in photo  

can anyone help and point me in right direction, any pics or brochures of the one I’m trying to create? 

As always any help much appreciated  

cheers

Alastair 

97D3BDCC-30C0-4558-A0AF-8C516F125351.jpeg

0BB01765-A05E-46C6-AA1E-303409F1A9A4.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so I’ve started. If I’m honest it maybe not 100% accurate, the old colour photo above is what I’m trying to create, however I cannnot find anything detailed on that particular one. 

Here goes !

yes John, I know it’s not a matbro ;-) I suffer from lack of focus 

A1F566C4-FE66-4012-AA8E-99E12B027DDB.jpeg

6795BC2D-0F20-4575-A281-B56D88CE78E4.jpeg

324F69F6-3D10-434F-8BE4-0540F4C0AB99.jpeg

looks a good start Alastair, it looks like it's going to get fiddly with all the bracing and supports. As for the matbro, i wouldn't worry, instead of painting mine I've started on something else....no focus here either!

32 minutes ago, 844john said:

looks a good start Alastair, it looks like it's going to get fiddly with all the bracing and supports. As for the matbro, i wouldn't worry, instead of painting mine I've started on something else....no focus here either!

Thanks John, Yes my one is a slightly “lighter” version without quite so much of bracing, but nevertheless there will be enough! 

Get your paint out! I want to see it finished;-)

2 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

Nice build so far , interesting design to, with the wheels mid chassis like that . Must be a nightmare to load and keep level in a field if your just running a loader to tow and load, must try and tip something horrible  

Thanks Sean. They are not quite central, but nevertheless what you say still holds true! Dreadful I’d think!

7 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i guess you would have to load the front first then fill the back up, certain look strong trailers, very little room for twist with all those braces 

Strong but low and light was I think their selling point. It’s actually interesting how the model increases in rigidity throughout the build even in flexible plasticard 

7 hours ago, 844john said:

Looking excellent Alastair, but you can't stop now, you know how hard it is to get started again once you stop......or maybe that's just me!;)

Ha I know, off to Dorset though, sitting in traffic jam. The good lady is chauffeuring. It will have to wait for me ! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived