question to the ebay sellers on here

Tractorman810

whilst i buy a fair bit of ebay,i have only ever sold 2/3 bits on there in all my time as a member, hence the question i am asking which is 

once you put an item on, and someone bids, is it possible for you to remove the item ?? 

of late i am noticing a hell of a lot of items, that seem to run the course to the end, then re appear a day or so later, sometime even the same night,  i would asume this is someone self bidding maybe or mates bidding, which i guess costs them somehow ?? to me thats just greed and plain stupidity . 

but i am also noticing a lot of items that just seem to vanish a few hours or a day or so before they are due to end,people have bidded on them already ,that again re appear, normally with the same pics and description, and restart on a higher start price. none have had a reserve on them either and also of late, othing has said “for sale else where” either 

i was sure the  few items i sold , once someone had bid, that was it you couldnt alter anything bar pics, and you certainly could not remove/withdraw the item .

does anyone know ?? 

Shill bidding is alive and well on eBay I’m afraid Sean. eBay will ban anyone that they can prove doing it. Why put something in an auction without a reserve if you aren’t prepared to take the outcome on the chin. It’s like putting a car in an auction and driving off in it when the hammer falls because you are not happy with the price. People that shill bid are greedy and deserve all they get in my opinion. Sean, all you have to do when you sell something is to clearly state that it’s advertised elsewhere and may be removed before the auction ends. That way everyone knows where they stand. Shill bidders have been known to do this, but as you say, they aren’t very bright when they list the same item with the same pics later that day.

I spend a lot of time on eBay at the moment and its fairly easy to figure out shill bidders, there is a well known seller (not on this forum) who always seemed to get higher prices than I or anyone else did for the same item or even in worse condition and with higher postage costs - I was often convinced there was shill bidding behind the prices....... They haven't been active for a month or two......

I won an item only yesterday that was very reasonably priced, the seller wanted in excess of £300 for it (if I were to have offered). The auction ran without a bid at the starting price until the last few minutes and I put a bid on and won it, went to another of their items (same scenario) and it was pulled, before I could get a bid in.  I won the first item fair and square,  all be it very much lower than it is worth.   I messaged twice to ask if I could collect as its local (and to save them postage hassle and fees) and have had no response.  I have since paid for it, but I wonder if I will get it.....  Some people have higher expectations or make a mistake and cant then live with it!  I have made some horrendous losses on Ebay, but then have made some miraculous profits - you have to take the rough with the smooth!!

have seen it many a time and also had sellers PM me to say the winning bidder has pulled out and I can have the item at what the winner bid :o

I always answer back that I will but it at my maximum bid or they can relist it :ph34r: and will only pay for it with a proper ebay/paypal invoice :D

yeah know of the shill bidding,guess you will never stop that,or prove it,apart from the wally who messaged me saying he was doing it:blink: ,however i wasnt aware you could just pull an item for no reason . hence my question, have noticed it happening a lot of late, and honestly hadnt before. does seem to be wrong,sure when i sold it was done once the first bid went on, unless you put a reserve on it you had no option but for it to sell at the price . 

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

yeah know of the shill bidding,guess you will never stop that,or prove it,apart from the wally who messaged me saying he was doing it:blink: ,however i wasnt aware you could just pull an item for no reason . hence my question, have noticed it happening a lot of late, and honestly hadnt before. does seem to be wrong,sure when i sold it was done once the first bid went on, unless you put a reserve on it you had no option but for it to sell at the price . 

You can pull items as a seller but you do get marked down on your scores if you do it too often

I would never cancel an item once someone has bid on it, and have had more than my fair share of poor results but thats the gamble you take.  If something doesn't look like anyone's going to bid on it then sometimes I will take it off.  

It hasn't happened for yonks but I do remember one surprising twonk who refused to sell me the item because they weren't pleased with the final sale price!

Its a handy way of making a bit of cash, but its bloody annoying sometimes.

I haven't been asked if I ship to Italy for a while, which is a bonus though!

I won a item once bidding  ..a Britains MF590 unboxed from what I can remember about 3 years ago.   Happy out considering it's a rare one for a not such bad price & it seemed in complete good condition . The seller had taken my payment threw PayPal and all seemed ok . So about 5 days later I noticed he had not shipped it yet . So  I tried contacting him & got no reply.. About 7 attempts  later which turned out to be almost an  extra week he replied saying he had misplaced it and could not find it.  So I told him to refund me back . Again it took him a few days to respond & when he did he tried to pawn off other items to me instead . Nothing he had appealed anyways . He just became impossible & maddening in the finish .. This man was trying every thing to hold on to my payment and his rating was about 96% as far as I can remember.  Ebay eventually retrieved my payment from him after a long hard battle .  That was one of my worst experiences while using Ebay. There's always one chancer..

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, AndyB said:

I spend a lot of time on eBay at the moment and its fairly easy to figure out shill bidders, there is a well known seller (not on this forum) who always seemed to get higher prices than I or anyone else did for the same item or even in worse condition and with higher postage costs - I was often convinced there was shill bidding behind the prices....... They haven't been active for a month or two......

I won an item only yesterday that was very reasonably priced, the seller wanted in excess of £300 for it (if I were to have offered). The auction ran without a bid at the starting price until the last few minutes and I put a bid on and won it, went to another of their items (same scenario) and it was pulled, before I could get a bid in.  I won the first item fair and square,  all be it very much lower than it is worth.   I messaged twice to ask if I could collect as its local (and to save them postage hassle and fees) and have had no response.  I have since paid for it, but I wonder if I will get it.....  Some people have higher expectations or make a mistake and cant then live with it!  I have made some horrendous losses on Ebay, but then have made some miraculous profits - you have to take the rough with the smooth!!

Sure enough I got a refund through today for the item above that I 'won'!  No explanation from the seller, though I know why!  It annoys me that you can then leave feedback for these type of people!  Now fancy some retail therapy:D

If its any consolation I had exactly the same thing happen to me last week ,cut a long story short he had the item  up as a Buy it Now for £65 with an auction start of £35 . I made him an offer of £55 which he declined which was fine his perogative - said he wanted a minimum  £65 for it .    I replied and said fine would take my chance with the auction . Needless to say he got no other bids and I 'won ' it for £35 + Post. It was marked as 'dispatched ' within a couple of days of the auction ending . Surprise surprise nothing turned up so I put  lodged a  request to ebay not for a refund but asking where my item was as not received - lo and behold I got a full refund from the seller within an hour ! 

I did send him a rather curt message saying that he might have at least been honest about it and not marked it as dispatched and then waited for me to put a not received claim in so he could refund me . I would possibly have done a deal with him , I also said to forget the feedback as if I voiced my displeasure no doubt I would have got a shall we say not entirely truthful reply , I,ve had 100% feedback on Ebay since 2004 wasn't prepared to put that in jeopardy. - another issue I have with Ebay these days ! 

I also said to him I awaited it re- appearing with interest !       

4 hours ago, AndyB said:

Sure enough I got a refund through today for the item above that I 'won'!  No explanation from the seller, though I know why!  It annoys me that you can then leave feedback for these type of people!  Now fancy some retail therapy:D

I meant 'can't' leave feedback.  The order just disappears, so as the buyer you can not voice your opinion nor dissatisfaction.....

Archived