No red diesel allowed on road runs after April 2022

Yeah... Just when it goes up in price... They decide to rub in even more salt to the wound. Its pure greed on behalf off the government. These road runs are normally run for good causes and charities. All this will do is turn people off attending with their tractors, because its, now  so expensive to fill your tank, not to mind not being allowed to use Agri diesel even.  Less attending = less money raised.  

• Like 2

This news is nothing new,  it's illegal already to run on red to go to a tractor show, road run or even ploughing matches as it's not primarily agriculture in its key state.... Alot of folk just carried on regardless and run on red or use red and day before the event put 5 gallon of white in the tank and kept the receipt as proof that a token attempt to run legally for the event. As my tractors aren't directly used in agriculture I've never legally been allowed to run on red unless I've been using my tractors on my landlords farm, other than that anything I use my tractors for isn't classed as agriculture so the red entitlement is then void so white is the only option.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, fordmajor said:

N we all sit n take it ?????

All I see in this it's just a stepping stone in the death of diesel in the UK, yes admittedly the Govt can't ban all diesels, but like with the current forecourt pump price of approx £1.54 a litre for white diesel, and one or two rumours about that road tax on diesels is set to rise from hgvs down to family cars, it's leverage to try to make the average working man admit defeat in running costs and seriously look at electric or electric/hybrid vehicles....but in most instances the electric vehicles aren't yet advanced enough to actually do the job intended.... If your using a tdv8 range rover solely for the school run of 3 miles round trip just because it's keeping up with the Joneses as all the other mums have them then there's no reason why a electric or hybrid vehicle wouldn't work ...  but if your working across the country out of a transit van on service contracts then you can't be stopping every couple of hours in the motorway to plug in and charge up ....... Milkfloats were the perfect example of an electric vehicle designed for an environment that it suited well and worked well. 

The thing the govt hasn't realised is the knock on effect of fuel and tax rises, pushes every thing else up in the viscous circle, even down to the cost if a load of bread and pint of milk........ Yet wages of the common working man don't follow the same rises.....

But anyhow getting back to red diesel.... I doubt the new  re issued rule changes will ever fully be controllable, Vosa and Customs & excise aren't going to stop and dip every tractor they see about driving down the road to see if it's legally using the right colour fuel, but what I can see is them turning up at larger already advertised events and road runs and doing the odd spot check for publicity across the internet and through the farming press and news to show they are patrolling the scheme... Thus in turn acting as a deterrent to others to play ball by the right rules...... They already do spot checks on vehicles leaving rally's, Vosa set up a mobile weigh bridge a few years back at Driffield vintage rally, spot check weighing transit vans with scale steam engines in the back that were towing caravans, and those towing tractors on trailers outside of the towing vehicles towing weight...... Similar set up down at Malpas again just as spot checks...... This must be a good 6 to 7 years back now but it kept the exhibitors on their toes.

• Like 4

Don't think a road run will fall in any of the mentioned catagories and have a feeling it'll only cover the vehicles at a show that are involved with running of a show and not general exhibits...... Text copied and pasted from the Society of Ploughmen....

RED DIESEL UPDATE:  There is an article in the Press & Journal that states a Scottish MP has had verbal assurance that operations within the confines of agricultural shows and ploughing matches will remain eligible to use red diesel.

HMRC have yet to reply to us but we have seen an email from them  that says:  “As agricultural shows and ploughing matches provide information and education that benefit agricultural purposes and raise charitable funds to support these aims, the Government considers that running or participating in these events are purposes relating to agriculture. Therefore, rebated fuel may be used in certain qualifying vehicles and machines when used for this purpose. We will update the Notice to clarify the rules in respect of these activities and publish in advance of the changes coming into force”. 

Positive news but we still need something in writing!

• Like 2

Copied and pasted off one of my fellow  Nuffield fans on Facebook.....putting another side to the coin in the red diesel debate..... 

Anyhow Rick's thoughts.....

We are now less than a month away from a major shakeup in the rules governing the use of rebated fuel (red diesel/tractor diesel) in the UK.

Traditionally cars and trucks use white diesel, and everything else uses red diesel.

From April the 1st this changes and most must use white diesel, construction sites, factory fork lifts and refrigerated lorry's with a separate engine for the refrigeration, must switch to white diesel.

Agriculture still retains the benefit of red diesel, so later this summer when you are in a field turning a bit of hay for the cows with your vintage Nuffield, Fordson or Massey Ferguson as this is still permitted you think all will be ok. WRONG its most likely you will be running the risk of prosecution if HMRC wanted to take it to the letter of the law!

Some years ago the "Historic Vehicle" class was introduced for vehicles older than 40 years. When it was introduced I received new V5's for my old tractors with the taxation class changed to "Historic Vehicle". Recently I filled in a V62 to get a V5 for a old tractor I had purchased, this to came through as "Historic Vehicle".

HMRC notice 75 on the use of rebated fuels quite clearly states that only vehicles taxed at the concessionary rate for agriculture can use red diesel, historic vehicles must use white diesel. Now obviously we will all be waiting to see just how vigorously HMRC enforces the new rules, but its not a lot of effort to change all you old tractors that are being used for agricultural work back to "Agricultural Machine" after all it will still qualify for nil road fund licence the same as "Historic Vehicle" but with the advantage of being legitimately entitled to use red diesel for agricultural use.

Will be interesting to hear comments from others about what I have written and what they will be doing in the future.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, phil phoenix said:

You ain't seen nothing yet!!  Current event's suggest massive price increases across the board are coming with no respite in sight😒

Its gone crazy. I got 500 litres off Kerosene last week for €490. Today if I were to get it... Its €720..

Petrol is at € 1.90 per litre 

Diesel €1.82....

No idea what Agri green diesel is at.. But obviously gone up also.  Worst about all this the government take about 55% in tax on it. They will have reduce it now, otherwise road haulers are going to go apesh*t.. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Its gone crazy. I got 500 litres off Kerosene last week for €490. Today if I were to get it... Its €720..

Petrol is at € 1.90 per litre 

Diesel €1.82....

No idea what Agri green diesel is at.. But obviously gone up also.  Worst about all this the government take about 55% in tax on it. They will have reduce it now, otherwise road haulers are going to go apesh*t.. 

Crazy is right!  Red diesel hit £1/Litre this week, staying at that level we will be spending an extra £2700/day during harvest versus 2021!  Forward buy prices are being withdrawn also!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, phil phoenix said:

I don't want to say too much but the world we knew has gone, and this will be a very difficult year on all fronts. 

Well I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom Phil, but....I don’t think it’s the end of the world, but I think I can see it from here....

• Haha 1

These past 2 years have been very strange and very unstable. Anything goes these days. It's the like another Cold War that's turning hot as days go by. The Irish government is now encouraging farmers here to plant more wheat, barely etc. So they know its going to get scarce and high demand will kick in due to the war in Ukraine. Will there be a shortage next year. ??   And don't even talk about the crazy price off fertiliser now... 🤨

Edited by justy 46
  • Like 1

Exactly Justy, And what a smart move sanctioning Putin's Oil output was, now the price of energy and fertilizer will go through the roof!! 

The thing I really hate  about modern media is that 95% of it comes from very few sources that are all in lockstep with each other, so regardless of whom is actually right or wrong in the days new's, these media mogul's decide from which narrative suits there agenda best, and we are expected to just go along with it😠 or be called disloyal or much worse.

Edited by phil phoenix
  • Like 1

It would appear that the Government have backtracked on the use of rebated diesel for ploughing matches and road runs. The price is probably still going to go up because of the current World situation but at least not as much as white.

https://www.farminguk.com/news/hmrc-backtracks-on-red-diesel-ban-for-ploughing-matches_59937.html?fbclid=IwAR1wnQjFgPGEu79Rl5x-M0bvKoY0XcUZN3pjKc84C33AQExqI2-8YUU6dRY