What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

10 hours ago, smithy said:

That's still nice and green with all this dry weather it should be a good crop

Baled it yesterday smithy. It was nice hay and I would have liked to little bale it but i needed to crack on and move on to other jobs unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

A photo of rolling the clamp with both your Kramers side by side would have been a nice touch Martin;), seems to be more in the clamp now then when the 339 was parked in there though haha, Looks to be making some nice bales though

She had only just been on mucking out duty Paul so her wheels were too mucky to go anywhere near the clamp but you're right it'd be a grand shot, there is always second cut for the oppertunity. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 844john said:

They must have gotten on alright with the Deere then if they've got another, never thought they would run anything but blues, when the first one came it did stand out a bit.....like a rose amongst the thorns as my mother would say!:D

The two that were here are Marks, he said he got a hell of a deal from Ripon Farm Services to get two greens into a mostly blue fleet. Hope they go better than the first one they had which locked the gearbox up just out of warranty at a repair cost of over £10k!!!

3 hours ago, mb86 said:

The two that were here are Marks, he said he got a hell of a deal from Ripon Farm Services to get two greens into a mostly blue fleet. Hope they go better than the first one they had which locked the gearbox up just out of warranty at a repair cost of over £10k!!!

That seems to be the issue with tractors today, it's very rare the engines give any bother but the transmission now seems to be the weak part. I suppose manufacturers are pushing more and more power through something that an engineer designed to handle the job in hand but then had to be pared right back to the bare minimum to please the firm's accounts department. 

been test driving a car today, bit annoyed as we requested the manual, as it suits us better, got told they had one no probs, arrived to find a automatic, sat waiting, gave us an idea on how it drives etc,  and its pretty well kitted  out,  so asked for the manual one for another day to try, and promptly received the hard sell tactics ,trying to get us to buy one already in stock, to the spec we wanted ,just a different colour, which isn't that important to her , but had to buy today with no time to think, we already have a test drive booked with the other model she wants to try, and he wouldn't really take no as an answer ,started offering a bigger discount, after pushing i eventually found out that the one on offer, was in-fact already registered, despite her saying  we wanted to wait till after our holiday, so after September . which at that point left me no option but to say time to go, it appears  they dont want to listen to what we are after , and are more interested in selling what they have bought  in as demo cars before they get used, than ordering what your actually  after. shame really as the car its self was pretty impressive, but the sales team may well have lost them a deal  now,as neither of us felt like he listened to what we want . 

• Sad 1

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:26 AM, Valley Axe Man said:

Looks a grand bit of Hay there Smithy, nicely done, the series 3 Landy looks tidy too :)

Yes Paul it is nice hay it had nice weather on it . I think he has spent the last couple of year rebuilding the landy :D

• Like 1

bailing hay again today after about 2mm of rain on Saturday ,we have finished now unless someone else asks us to do a bit more ,backed the last 3 trailer loads under cover tonight at 11-30pm been a long day as started at 7-30 am

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 12:33 AM, smithy said:

bailing hay again today after about 2mm of rain on Saturday ,we have finished now unless someone else asks us to do a bit more ,backed the last 3 trailer loads under cover tonight at 11-30pm been a long day as started at 7-30 am

I assume this is all for sale to the horsey types smithy? Do you only do the one cut each year ? Or do you get a second cut in as a top up 

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, bluegreen said:

Lots of different tractors of all ages have been whizzing around my village getting hay cut, teddered, raked and baled in various little fields.  How much is a good quality round bale fetching this year Smithy??

sorry for late reply only now reading messages . I am not sure what a round bale is fetching as I only do small ones which are between £3 to £4 a bale if they pick it up themselves straight of the field £3 if coming out of my shed its £4 and they have to come to me I don't deliver as they want you to stack it in awkward places and say oh I did not realise you was bringing it today I don't have the money on me can I pay you later yea normally 8 weeks later so I say you come and get it and bring the £££ :) I will ask my mate in next few days about round ones as he have a few done and let you now .   

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:01 AM, Tractorman810 said:

I assume this is all for sale to the horsey types smithy? Do you only do the one cut each year ? Or do you get a second cut in as a top up 

sorry for late reply Sean not had time to get on here last few days . yes we sell most of it to horsey types mainly from October to march , the wife use a few for here own horse and she has a friend that keeps one on are farm so the two eat a bit , we also put some of the finer hay in bags as we have a few customers with rabbits and other small pets .I only do the one cut each year as we are then busy with combining then getting land ready for next crop if grass grows and looks untidy I top them as it is just the one operation and done , 

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, bluegreen said:

Lots of different tractors of all ages have been whizzing around my village getting hay cut, teddered, raked and baled in various little fields.  How much is a good quality round bale fetching this year Smithy??

Not sure about elsewhere in the country, but up here people are struggling to get £12 for a bale, last winter silage was up to £40 at one point!, but crops are very good this year so the demand isn't there

• Like 1

Down here on the island there is a real shortage of hay, just nothing there. Small horsey bales have gone up in price and there are so many horses, it's like the bloody Wild West! Most of them don't have any land for hay and are starting to buy them over from the mainland, absolutely ridiculous!! I helped with my uncles field and there was nowhere near as many bales as last year:(

Hellish crop this year here.. Too many bales, people are selling them for £1-£1.50 off the field and £2 collected! Its pure insanity i was charging £2 a bale just to make them for a couple of friends let alone sell for profit and that just about covered costs.

That's farming, there's good years and bad years, as long as they even themselves out over time it's not a problem. At the end of the day, last year was exceptional due to lighter crops coupled with the lack of grass that meant some folks were feeding fodder to cattle during the summer months, which further compounded the problem.

Selling fodder for ridiculously high prices is fine in the short term, but when the livestock man has been forced to call it a day as he simply can't afford to sustain such prices, who's going to buy the silage and hay then? Everyone needs to make a little bit to get by, as I said as long as things even themselves out over the years then everyone should be happy;)

just back from dealer no2 in her new car search, which was her preferred  choice ,, but  you don't tell them that  and after testing the other make, i made a list all the specs on the other in the price ,and also made an matching list of theres ,with extras price compared to the similar merc  ,which shocked him we had done that much checking out , we have now signed on the dotted line, £35.000  OTR worth of bmw for sign today once only offer as long standing customers , £28.500  OTR ,so less than the base price of the model ,she picks it up september .to say shes happy is an understatement ,she  wasn't happy at having to test the other one ,bit it was deffo worth it , so i am in her good books now 

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, bluegreen said:

Hey Smithy has Goodie heard when the new Case Pumas are getting launched yet?   Must be coming soon.

Sorry only now catching up on here ,not heard him say anything about them I am seeing him bit later on tonight and I will ask him

6 hours ago, Awdmac said:

Managed to get our bit of hay done between last Saturday and Wednesday, only about 5 acres for the ponies which does them for the year. Gone from a 4' to 6' mower which speeded the job up & seems to have saved a load of diesel. Wife hauled last load in just as forecast rain started, couldn't of been closer finish,happy days.:). Wuffled straight after mowing & again next morning, certainly cut the drying time down.

20190714_130459.jpg

20190714_130611.jpg

20190714_130628.jpg

20190714_151745.jpg

20190716_105405.jpg

20190716_133150.jpg

20190716_133210.jpg

20190716_162553.jpg

20190717_095112.jpg

20190717_095203.jpg

20190717_132226.jpg

Well done , looks like you have some good machinery for the job looks nice hay as well

• Like 5

Thanks Smithy, taken a few years to fine tune things.Looks & smells like hay so I think we're all good. Pressure off, can get back to the 1394 uh conversion now before it gathers dust!

• Like 2