Ask Scaledown Models

Andy

Yes I did a couple of articles on "how I built a SCALEdown Farmall A" since I have a real one in my small collection of vintage tractors. Part 1 was in Issue 14 - January and February 2010 and Part 2 was in Issue 15. These issues were trial issues before the first magazine was issued just over a year ago. I not sure if Andy still has copies but you can PM him if you are interested.

Regarding the build of the Farmall A well I don't know if this was one of the easier ones to build or not but its a relatively small tractor in real life so one of the smaller ones SCALEdown make in 1/32 scale. I must say you do need patience to make them and be prepared to assemble and glue some parts set them aside and come back to them another day.

Yes I did a couple of articles on "how I built a SCALEdown Farmall A" since I have a real one in my small collection of vintage tractors. Part 1 was in Issue 14 - January and February 2010 and Part 2 was in Issue 15. These issues were trial issues before the first magazine was issued just over a year ago. I not sure if Andy still has copies but you can PM him if you are interested.

Some of the early mags with this build in have appeared on eBay, this seller has quite a few

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Farmer-Magazine-Sample-2-Farm-Tractor-Fans-/150653998131?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item2313ad9433

• 4 years later...

I find that the best 'super' glue to use is called PowerBond 806, this glue was developed by NASA and was used to stick the tiles on the space shuttles, you can buy a 'package' which consists of the glue, 1,2, or 3 lots in 10 or 20ml bottles, a release agent and a degreaser. This glue will stick any material except polythene. It has a shelf/storage life of 15 years and you keep it in the fridge, I use it an awful lot and find it's ideal for glueing plaststruct.  As for paint, I use the small tins of Plasticote spray paint and primers, some have said in this thread that Humbrol paints are a bit thin, try the Revell paints, they are thicker and dry in half the time.

• Like 1

The Tamiya paint that I've used in the past I find does not stick to plastic very well, flakes off after a while and if you 'key' the surface you'll always be able to see the roughness unless you use a filler primer and in using that you can loose definition of detail.

I use halfords primers for my scaledowns now. The small cans give a very fine spray mist. As for top coat, I use the colours that Nigel ford supplies and thin them down and put it on with an airbrush. If you have to colour match as near as you can for the model, go for halfords paint as again, this will give a good fine spray mist. Be careful when using agricultural or plant paint off the shelf at your local dealers, as the spray can be a bit fast and hard out of the large cans. 

be patient and let the top coat harden for at least a week before you handle it again, as you will get finger prints on the model and ruin it. I have built a lot of these models, and you may look through my collection thread to see my builds . Any help needed, please ask.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulali said:

i use tamiya acrylics and their spray cans on their kits,which are plastic Tim so dont know why it would not stick to plastic? i have never had a problem with them,i also use them on any convo work i do on the farm models,again never a problem

Perhaps Paul Tamiya have improved or changed their paint formula, it has been a few years since I've used it and that was their brush paints in the screw top jars, several people I know that used to build their own Tamiya RC kit cars had the same problem. Nowadays the Tamiya RC kit components, like the bodyshells are pre-coloured so paint isn't needed

On 12 November 2015 22:58:10, SPN said:

I'm going to have a crack at my first Scaledown model in the next few weeks, so I thought I'd top this thread and invite people who have built one to give some more tips and tricks for us novices.

What are you going to be building?

2 hours ago, SPN said:

Going to start with the MF 65, the first tractor I remember from when I was about 3 years old.

Lovely model that is Stan. I think it was the 3rd model I built. Foot plates can be a little tricky, but the detail is excellent. If you have trouble understanding the instructions I will be happy to post some close-ups of my one if it helps you out. Make sure you paint the front grill inserts before you glue them into place, you will get a better finish. Look forward to your updates.

• Like 1

I keep thinking about doing one myself, but I have never mastered an airbrush for the painting side of it, build wise I would be fine, but paint wise  hell no.far safer to get someone else to do it, agree with Chris on the tins, the dealer agri paints do seem to give a heavy coat, runs easily to, does seem to help if you warm it well along with a good shake, I use dealer paints for my scratch builds, and not had any real issues , but I would say they would till be to thick for a Scaledown kit after warming etc 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...