Meet Alice the Allis

the other green

We bought this ol' girl back in August last year. We needed a second loader tractor for unloading bales in the yard at home. It needed to be big enough to power the 13' disc mower-conditioner and also had to have 3pt hitch. I had hoped to find a Deutz DX 120 but any I found were mega-money. This Allis Chalmers 7040 came up for sale very close to home.

The owner knew I was looking for a tractor and contacted me but it wasn't what I had in mind and went to look at it just to be sociable. On closer inspection though, it was just what we needed.

post-60-132638575573_thumb.jpg

post-60-132638575579_thumb.jpg

Thanks Marky  :)

Alice was built in (about) 1975, is 135 PTO horsepower and has around 8500 hours on 'er with her engine and transmission rebuilt about 3-4000 hours ago after the first half of her life was spent doing  fairly heavy tillage work. The last 15 years or so have been spent on a smaller beef operation doing light tillage and haying work.

I took the picture to accentuate her assets and to hide the odd small blemish (well, you do, don't you?  ;) ) The grill and front of the bonnet area have a few dents and the wheel-rims have terrible surface rust but I hope to do something about that this summer.

She and Fanny should meet.........swop stories  ::)

well tog i bet she does just what you want her to do , ut if god ever made an uglier tractor  , he's kept it to himself  :-\

shame about the deutz prices  :( :(

the nh tg or what ever its numbered now mate?????

looks like a good buy for a second loader mate, shame you couldnt get what you wamted though

well tog i bet she does just what you want her to do , ut if god ever made an uglier tractor  , he's kept it to himself  :-\

shame about the deutz prices  :( :(

How can you call that ugly ? thats a beautiful tractor, a real classic. If you want to see ugly look at the current NH range.

It was kind of my new year's resolution to try to get more pictures of tractors in my area for you lads (well, that and to stop farting in bed, but that's for Mrs TOG's benefit  ;D) There are some very well cared-for tractors newer and older out and about, so I will try my best Bill.

The lad that seeds my cereal grain has just told me that he has just bought a new Case/NH TJ425 so I'll havta get a few pictures of that!

the nh's are modern looking its just you dont like modern  :D

To right Rich, these old Allis's are from my era, much better that these modern wheeled boxes they build today.  Tog , have you got any more pics of other Allis Chalmers in your area?, if you have please post them up.

• 3 weeks later...

We used to have a dairy and beef operation until about 4 years ago, now its all beef. We have around 185 cows calving April/May, we wean the calves in November and feed them 'till the following April/May when they are marketed at auction. We have 1280 acres for hay, pasture and a little bit of cereal land.

We also do a bit of contracting work, mainly haying and round bale silage and we do a bit of livestock haulage too. We also sell some hay and straw but I try to avoid doing that, I'd prefer to feed it to my own livestock.

hey TOG

That tractor is ridiculously 70's, I like the way the bonnet is all curvy and the cab all angles - its like the cab and bonnet designers met and decided on one common angle to use, then never saw each other again, strangely though i like it, must be the sticky out wheels  :)

Few questions  ;D

What are the interior conditions like?

How much does something like that cost?

and a general Q - are the heaters on your tractors standard? looks quite cold!