Deere-est

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

***Sneaks in under al the security measures***

Marcus, behave!!! The thought was in my mind the minute I heard Spaniels paws stomping up the stairs.... resulting in foot to door to dogs head contact!!!

Right, it's very easy to to. I have finished it now, well apart from staining the wood. (No NCC, not through excitement, I mean with creosote.) The four bars are 98mm long 0.8mm ply. They are about 97mm to scale but you need the extra 1mm, tell you why in a minute. The two struts, one either side need to be cut to about 105mm as you lose length trimming the angles to fit into the corners. The frame of the gate is 3mm square balser. The latch end verticle is 29mm, the hinge end verticle is 35mm, the top rail is 97mm. Aswell as this the gate posts are 6mm square balsa, mine are 42mm high. Something similar to EMA 0.020 Styrene Strip (No STS-2) Aswell as this you will need a couple of staples, something similar to EMA's 0.2mm wire corerod and a biro refill. For glue I used Bostik wood glue and Evo-Stick mutli purpose glue. A craft knife.

With the top rail and hinge verticle pieces cut to size glue these first and leave them. The top rail is 2.5mm below the top of the hinge vertical.  Use a right angle to ensure it is square. Use Bostik here.

Next, cut the styrene strip to fit around the joint between the top rail and the hinge verticle. One peice either side of the gate and one piece glued to the back. In real life this piece is one bit incorporating the hinge. Here it is three peices. Use Evo-Stick here.

When this joint is set glue the latch verticle to the other end of the top rail, letting 2mm sof the verticle show above the rail. Use an angle again for a true 90deg and Bostik glue.

Now ( I did this by eye) use the tip of the craft knife to make slots inside each verticle for the four 0.8mm ply rails to fit into. As the verticles are balsa you can just push into the wood, no need to try cutting slots and removing the tiny bit of cut-out. Makes for a tighter fit aswell. Try each rail a couple of times untill you have a deep enough socket. It only needs to be about 0.5mm so be soft with it. Bostik glue again.

Thats the main of the gate done so leave it to set. Cut the gate posts 6mm x 6mm balsa by 42mm hieght and have a cup of tea.

When your happy with the strength of the gate cut the struts, trim a small amount at a time untill the length and the angles fit snug. smear Bostik down the full length, stick to the gate and hold until firm. Wipe away the excees glue between the rails from the other side. Now you can see where to put the glue on the rails on the otherside without leaving excess, do this and fit the other strut and hold until firm. Using some scrap wood cut a tiny block to fit inbetween the strut on the bottom of the hinge post. This stops the struts bowing in at the bottom. All this with Bostik.

Now cut some more styrene and do the same as with the top rail, three peices glued around the bottom of the hinge verticle where the struts join. Use Evo-Stick.

Take a staple, cut off one short leg (that goes through the paper etc) and bend the longer peice around into a rough D shape with the existing 90deg corner at the top. Push this into the end of the latch verticle, using a little Evo-Stick on each end of the staple. (The top of the latch wants to be level with the underside of the top rail).

Almost done. Cut two small pieces off of the top of a biro refill, the clear plastic tube inside disposable biro's. Glue one on the top and one on the bottom piece of styrene on the back of the hinge verticle. I used Revell modelling glue, there are plenty similar. When dry, paint!! Thats the gate done.

Back to the hanging post, cut to small pieces of EMA metal core rod bend at 90 degree, cut to a reasonable size for hinges, skin the bit intended to go into the post, add a little Evo-Stick and push into the hanging post at the correct height to correspond with the biro tubes on the gate. On the latching post take another staple, cut a piece about 4mm long and push into the post at an angle, with the high end being higher than the latch on the gate. There is enough slack in the hinges to lift the gate onto the latch thus stopping it form opening.

JOB DONE!!

(pics to following when glue is dry.)

• 3 weeks later...

bigger pics please like i post up!!!! ;D ;D ;D

looks good Tris, further than my war scene :)

can you email me some bigger ones then ??? ???

I need a walk through talk through mate, cant seem to get them any bigger. .. they are 109kb. :-[

Email being done now. :)

i take them at 1024x768, which is what the work cameras are set at. I then just reduce the size using microsoft photo manager or paintshop pro 8 by around 60%, as you can see by most of my posts :) :)

I'll have a play around FB and see what happens. It annoys me no end, yours, Smurfs, NCC field mat are all so clear and easy to look at.

MJB that site is pretty good. It's all in 1/24 and 1/12 though, maybe Smurf you can tell me which of these scales could be used in 1/32 for roof tiles without looking too out of place? Looks a damn sight cheaper the stensil way than EMA way.

MJB that site is pretty good. It's all in 1/24 and 1/12 though, maybe Smurf you can tell me which of these scales could be used in 1/32 for roof tiles without looking too out of place? Looks a damn sight cheaper the stensil way than EMA way.

i got the 1/12 brick stencil that i'm going to use as breeze blocks , as they're not too far out ,i put it over the britains pattern & i'm 1 1/2 'bricks' longer than the block pattern so i'm happy with that  :)

I forgot to post these!! Paint and creosote applied. Paint was one coat of biege then olive green mixed with a bit of grey and flicked over loosly with an old frayed brush.

as above i think Sean ??? ??? :-\

Nice bit of work there Tris, has McMad been reversing something into your shed??  ::)

Ahem, thats the 'rustic' look Jase  ::) Don't you know anything?!!!  ;) ;) ::)

The biege is Crown Indulgence - Scrumptious Silk

Green is Crown Indulgence - Tuscan Olive

Both from B&***** for about a fiver. The grey is Humbrol, erm. .. Grey!!