Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

002-1.jpg

I have just been sent some excellent photographs taken by Neil Ripley at Northampton show in early March.

This one shows the Fordson E1A and the MF 35 being checked over before they set out for the fields. The little white hen is probably looking for worms under the water tower, it’s always a bit damp in this area.

003.jpg

The second shot shows the Davenport diesel setting off for the fields with a train of empty wagons.

The figures are Tamiya military personnel that have been modified. The hats for instance are made by gluing a small circle of 10 thou plasticard with a hole cut in the centre over the figure’s head to form the brim of a hat.

006.jpg

The driver of the Jeep railcar checks over his shoulder before leaving for the fields with some extra fuel for the tractors working there.

The little Davenport has just pushed in a short train of side tippers from the piggery.

It must be mid morning as the man cutting logs has left his axe and popped off for a cup of tea in the foreman‘s hut.

I’m showing the layout at St Giles Church Hall Desborough, Northamptonshire  on Saturday 17th May.

Peter

The bicycle is a Tamiya kit and comes with  two German soldiers and two bikes. They were used during the second World War as a means of transport. They make up into a nice little bike but are rather delicate. They have a container hanging down from the cross bar which you can just see in the photos, for holding documents I assume.

Peter

I have seen that kit and never eveb gave it a thought. The figures really make this diorama a living minature. These latest pics are just wondeful, brilliant, fantastic, amazing, gobsmacking. .. erm. . .  terrific. ...  ::):o:)8)

P1010006.jpg

P1010005.jpg

I have been testing a new switcher for the layout, seen here coupled to a wooden side tipper out side the greenhouse. Note the driver’s head it is made from Milliput modelling putty, he was originally an American soldier.

I’ve also weathered the  UH Fordson a little to make it look as if it has been working in the heavy Lincolnshire soil.

Peter you must bring your hints and tips bible to Toytrac, this is realism and charm in 32nd entirety. Everything is stunning, your work on the UH Major is what I have been meaning to do myself to a tractor, it's sat at home waiting for me to start. . . . one day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The rail motor trucks always seem to be popular at exhibitions as they are a little different from the normal small diesel and steam locos seen on narrow gauge layouts.

The latest addition to the Two sister’s growing fleet is a gas producer based on a kfz 305 3 ton chassis. They were used by the German army near the end of the second world war when supplies of fuel were difficult to obtain. Wood chips or coal is heated in a container behind the cab and the gas given off is routed through a radiator then into a storage tank fitted to the front of the truck. This is then fed into the engine by a modified carburettor.

Pictures to follow.

Peter

P1010013.jpgP1010015.jpg

P1010011.jpg

The chassis is a Con-Cor model that was formerly in an MP15 switcher. It has always run very well but I have never liked the over scale handrails. It has not been used very much so it was an obvious choice of power for the latest truck. The can motor is slightly smaller than the open one Athearn used in the Opel truck and seems to run slightly warmer when used at very slow speeds over a long period.

A few shots showing the latest truck at work in the yard.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

We had open gardens today in our village today in aid of church funds. My wife opened our garden and by way of a change I set up Two sister’s farm layout in the conservatory. The layout was very well received by the visitors and I hope it has inspired a couple of armchair modellers to have a go for themselves.

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

A couple of pictures showing a yard full of rail trucks and diesel shunters about to start work. The next shot looks like a staggered start for trucks in a first out to the fields race.

Peter

It's nice to sit and watch the admiring gazes isn't it Peter, really warming I find. Had I knowna bout it out local steam fair had a craft tent this year - a missed oppurtunity for Leverets.  :(

You are right Tris it is a nice feeling having your work admired, and hopefully inspiring someone else to have a go. My next show is 28th September at Banbury.

P1010006-1.jpg

P1010007.jpg

A picture taken early one Monday morning in late Summer before the rail trucks set off for a day’s work in the fields. That same morning another shot taken from under the bridge next to the farm work shops.

Peter

Archived