Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

p1010007ck5.jpg

A busy seen in the yard one summer?s morning. The three locos are about to set off for the fields to collect the loaded wagons. The empty wagons were left in the fields overnight and will be loaded  with early potatoes by the time the locos arrive.

The wagons will be used later in the year to bring in the wheat harvest, this will be in sacks too as the early combines were only small. 

p1010008sq6.jpg

The figures are all Tamiya military personnel that I?ve modified. The two bending figures in overalls are from the tank maintenance kit which at about a fiver is not bad because you get a few other bit and pieces you can use as well.

There is another source that I?ve not used and that is George Turner Models, he has a web site. His figures look very good and worth looking into. Hope this helps.

A birds eye view looking down the yard as the Porter 0-4-2 pushes a few wagons out to the fields. The Fordson Major having its rear tyre pressures checked is a Scaledown kit.

This morning I went to a toy fair and bought a UH ready made Fordson Power Major, superbly detailed with a lifting bonnet for  ?15, which I thought very reasonable.

p1010010lp0.jpg

The drivers of the Davenport and Barclay wait patiently for the Porter to clear the yard points so they can collect their trains from the fields.

In the greenhouse a gardener tends his growing tomato plants.

p1010011qz9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Two Sister?s farm made its exhibition debut at Crewe last Sunday. We had over 600 visitors and were able to give our two chosen charities over ?750 each. One of my fellow model railway club members took a few pictures of the layout.

The lighting in the hall was very yellow giving the photos a late Summer?s evening appearance.

The first picture shows a general view of the Workshops looking towards the bridge. The Fordson E1A is the UH models version which the farm have on trial from their local dealer.

img2367tb6.jpg

Most of the people admired the layout Tris,  but nobody admitted to being a member of the forum. One chap thought the tomatoes were ready for picking. The ladies noticed and liked all the small details. Most people had never heard of the potato railways that existed years ago in Lincolnshire. I will post some more pictures soon.

We have been invited back next year.

;D

I certainly hadn't ever heard of them untill this Topic began Peter. It was a completely new one on me. It is a nice way to combine two interests though and in the way you have done it, well it is sure to blow anyone away to be honest. I am glad it generated lot's of interest for you, it would be nice if I could see it one day but we'll just have to wait and see on that one.  :)

img2424ab3.jpg

The new Major is being checked over after working all day. It has proved popular with the drivers because of its easy starting and more powerful engine. It will simplify re-fueling too, as it needs a tank of diesel and not the petrol and TVO that the older Fordsons require.

Tris don?t forget I?ll be at Wincanton in October when you can have a drive.

img2425qu2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A reminder about Northampton Model Railway Show at Moulton School on Saturday 1st March.  I will be there with Two Sister?s Farm, stop by to say hello. There are 20+  layouts on show in all scales and gauges. There is also trade support so there is something for everyone to enjoy. For more details see their website.

The picture was taken at the Crewe exhibition by a visitor. The odd lighting at the venue gives an effect rather like a late summer?s evening.

2s1uk6.png

• 1 month later...

I?m afraid I did, they are made of two part  Milliput modelling putty. Which you mix together like plasticine for about five minutes. It is fairly soft so you can shape it,  then you leave it to harden for a few hours. It sets hard enough for you to drill and tap it if you wanted to.

I made some marrows and cabbages then painted them with acrylic paints.

Peter

I?m afraid I did, they are made of two part  Milliput modelling putty. Which you mix together like plasticine for about five minutes. It is fairly soft so you can shape it,  then you leave it to harden for a few hours. It sets hard enough for you to drill and tap it if you wanted to.

I made some marrows and cabbages then painted them with acrylic paints.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter - I've been advised to use Milliput before, so will definitely buy some and try it.

Archived