Opinions Please Lads......

NewHolland2

Now I know I've posted a few of these up previously but I think I've pretty much made my mind up this time......

In terms of my new tractor purchase I've found a New Holland 8240SLE (M Reg) with 6900 hours on the clock at my local dealers and their price tag is ?8750 + VAT......

Does this sound reasonable to you......I think it's pretty good but I'll try and knock them a bit closer to ?8K as that'll be pretty much my complete savings wiped out...... :D;)

I've contacted them as it isn't in stock in the yard yet but the sales person says it has been very well looked after by its previous owner......6900 hours doesn't sound overly bad to me either......

Opinions gladly received...... :) :)

Thats a heck of a lot of money to spend Mart... do you have plans to get the VAT back...

You could start a "hire" business... and register for VAT... but be warned the VAT man will want to see some in-comings and out-goings for a few years... will save you a CHUNK of money mind you... maybe you could do a deal with your current employer.... you invoice him for "SuperMart Services" instead of good old wages  :-\

BEFORE spending that sort of money I would take advice from an accountants mate - you'll get it free if you look like you are trying to choose your accontant for your new business  :-\

Personally... I don't know a lot about tractors... but 6900 hours CAN be a long innings for a tractor that's been neglected  :-\ - can you negotiate a waranty of some sort  ???

Marky the "wise old owl" 's advice.... Do your homework... but go for it and make yourself happy... you are the hardest working, most grounded young man I know - I have the utmost admiration for you for that mate - so I say.... Ahhh what the hell... spoil yourself (but do it right)  ;)

Marky summed it up in a nutshell Mart mate. The price sounds a little high to me to be honest but the 8240 could well be a classic of tomorrow and so could be an investment. It's all could though. You need to know that you have enough hours of work to put on it to warrant buying it as well as the tractor being able to take the hours as well. Have you enquired around the area to see if a man and a tractor are needed?

hey mart defidently make sure to get some one a mechanic or someone experienced with new hollands to check her out, to me 6900 hours is kinda on the high side but it depends what youll be expecting her to do work wise i soppouse. also from my experience with the 40 series new hollands the gears can be a bit dodgy and on some of them the pick up hitches may need a bit of attention to ensure they lock in properly

hey mart defidently make sure to get some one a mechanic or someone experienced with new hollands to check her out, to me 6900 hours is kinda on the high side but it depends what youll be expecting her to do work wise i soppouse. also from my experience with the 40 series new hollands the gears can be a bit dodgy and on some of them the pick up hitches may need a bit of attention to ensure they lock in properly

I agree totally on these comments, although the gear problems tended to affect the earlier white roofed models, but the pick up hitches are a known weak point and could cost between ?500 and ?1000 to put right. For the money you are talking Mart (?10280 inc VAT) I think its a bit pricey all things considered, looked after or not 6900hrs is where you can expect faults to start occuring, if not with the mechanicals, the electrics could cause you headaches. I'm sure if you keep looking you will find one with lower hours on for less money or the same money ;)

my advice to you martin would be to look at something with less electrics especially since its your first bigish tractor that your thinking of getting, electrical problems with it will be the last thing ull want just starting off. I now your a new holland man and all and as ye know im a mf man but if i was in your position id be looking at something from the jd 6000 series, maybe a 6800 or 6900. they havent much electrics and there quad box gear arrangement is very user friendly, on top of that they have enough hp to handle any typical type of job and even a bit more. they give very little trouble in every department from my experience. they are still pretty expensive for a second hand tractor but thats testament to their quality and i personally would rather pay a little more initially to get a tractor i could depend on. the 3 my boss had last year all had over 8000 hours on them and it was only then that they were starting to show a few small signs of wear and tear. again if you look at these ones though just check the pickup hitches again, they are not as troublesome as the nh one's but at the same time when they start getting older they may need a little bit of attention.

there just my opinions on it

my advice to you martin would be to look at something with less electrics especially since its your first bigish tractor that your thinking of getting, electrical problems with it will be the last thing ull want just starting off. I now your a new holland man and all and as ye know im a mf man but if i was in your position id be looking at something from the jd 6000 series, maybe a 6800 or 6900. they havent much electrics and there quad box gear arrangement is very user friendly, on top of that they have enough hp to handle any typical type of job and even a bit more. they give very little trouble in every department from my experience. they are still pretty expensive for a second hand tractor but thats testament to their quality and i personally would rather pay a little more initially to get a tractor i could depend on. the 3 my boss had last year all had over 8000 hours on them and it was only then that they were starting to show a few small signs of wear and tear. again if you look at these ones though just check the pickup hitches again, they are not as troublesome as the nh one's but at the same time when they start getting older they may need a little bit of attention.

there just my opinions on it

the ultimate decision is up to you! but i feel the hours are a bit high, but you would have to take her easy, but im sure you would have her well looked after seeing as it would be your very own tractor, your pride and joy! but i agree i would go for a john deere 6600-6800 because of there reliability. but its up to you mate

Cheers lads...... :)

Marky - I do have plans to get the VAT back mate so at least I'll not be into the ?10K range...... ;)

Interesting points about the pick-up hitch and gears lads thanks......Will definitely be something to quiz them about and to have a look at......

What sort of hours on a 40 series would be considered less likely to prove hastle......

Tris......I know of a few lads locally who would more than likely hire in for duties such as the tatties or my previous employer is always looking for an extra tractor at dung time......

Alan......I have to admit to liking the quad box on the John Deere's myself but they certainly do seem to hold their prices......

The problem I think you will have Martin is the budget you have in relation to hours on a 40 series.

If you could find one I think your best purchase would be a Fiat F/winner series or a 90 series as they are relatively bombproof and don't tend to command such a high value as the 40 series ;)

The problem I think you will have Martin is the budget you have in relation to hours on a 40 series.

If you could find one I think your best purchase would be a Fiat F/winner series or a 90 series as they are relatively bombproof and don't tend to command such a high value as the 40 series ;)

I have been looking Gav......There was an 80-90DT at the local Case Dealer's recently but 80 is a bit wee I thought......

MARTIN I would find out which farm the tractor is coming from to start with. its alot of money to spend, what about a 50 series john deere to start with. a 3350 would big enough for carting tatties ploughing and a dung spreader also you get most of the power from it and don't lose it through the powershifts also they are easy to work on and don't needed the black box to fix them. not a ford man but what about a 7810 nice tractor. what ever you get i might get a go of it at christmas.

Mart, the whole business of buying a used tractor is one big hairy-assed gamble mate.

You could do all your homework and drive away with a tractor that will go for another 5000 hours trouble-free or it could die  on the way home from the dealership, there's no real way to know.

This is all I can tell you having bought about a dozen new/used tractors and too many used implements to count.......

Buy what you like. I don't mean, who cares, I mean, buy a tractor that YOU like.  Also, leave a little bit aside for repairs.

If you buy something because it is a good investment or because "my mate has one and he likes it", when it breaks down, you will HATE it and curse the day you bought it. If something you like breaks down you will be far more forgiving and will be able to work through the problem without wishing you'd never seen the tractor ;)

It doesn't matter what colour it is or how many hours are on it, something will break on it sooner or later and (generally) it will cost waaayyy more to repair than you or the mechanic thought. It's good to have a little dosh in the kitty for when that happens.

Good luck mate, whatever you buy.  :)

I'd agree with all of that - that 8240 is a bit over the top on price I think ;)

Are you planning to use this tractor as a self employed contractor or to use it as an emerging classic. Either way I think it is a lot of money to spend on tractor especially when its going to nearly wipe out your savings. Having said that I sure even Alan Sugar didn't make his first million without taking a risk or two.At the end of the day the choice is yours and i think only you yourself can make that final decision.