Whats on your workbench???

That's too good to be a muck trailer Sean, they usually have sides hanging off and no paint! Wheels suit it well, are they the same size as the artisan32 ones?

Edited by mb86
Spelling

they are mate, i think sam at cheshire models has done some white metal ones of them as well .

we have only just bought this one although i may weather it a bit, dirty the timber a bit , will also make a load for it before it goes in the layout, along with the heap,been meaning to do that since i made the area anyway, so two jobs in one 

• Like 1

the planking is just a section of 1.5 mm modelling ply, i marked the lines with a medium sized head  flat precision screwdriver along a ruler, simple as that,  took 2 passes on each line with matching ones the other side, i should have painted the plastic first, but its pretty fine and was easier glued to the wood, will use the same method for a build due to start soon once the main part arrives, which i missed today 

• Like 2

What a beast Alastair,  it's a shame about the decals but you might find someone to make a replacement if it's an issue. You are right about the wheels, they are crap on all the autodrome fords. I think I might have a set of wheel weights for it, think they came with my 9600 for some reason which in hindsight I wish id made into a 1454. Anyway if you want them you can have them. 

18 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Finally got the decals on. Sadly they were old stock and cracked up a bit, one side is actually in two pieces :(

sadly missing the wheel weights. And I must say I still don’t like the wheels! Am I alone ? 

Looking good Alastair...….and I agree, the wheels and tyres are not the best looking.

It looks  like I don't have the wheel weights either. Mine are the same as yours, I had assumed the center boss was the weight, I'm sure I remember gluing them in. Looking again at the photos of finished models, it looks like there should be additional parts. So it looks like I'm missing wheel weights and the wafer weights! I'm 99% certain I haven't placed them somewhere else... they were not in my kit.

18 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Made a bit of progress with the davric kit, I really like it but there is one thing that I'm not happy about. The JCB badges are moulded into the arm and the engine and tank covers so they needed to be hand painted and I've made a bit of a pigs ear of them, not sure how successful trying to remove the black paint will be, undecided weather to leave as is or attempt to re do.

The nice weather has allowed me to get some paint on another project and also re paint a previous conversion I wasn't happy with. More pics to follow. 

That looks really good Martin, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one of those.

How raised are JCB badges? One way I've had reasonable success with in the past is to make sure you have a good layer of black over the raised letters / outline, doesn't have to be too tidy. Over paint the yellow and let dry. Then using a very fine sanding stick ( very, very fine grit wet and dry, stuck on a lolly stick , or something similar), sand over the raised areas down to the black paint.

Done carefully it works quite well....you need a solid thickness of black layer and a non flexible sanding stick.

The other way is to wipe the yellow off the black as it is drying, but anything soft doesn't stay flat to just the raised area, if you see what I mean?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mb86 said:

Made a bit of progress with the davric kit, I really like it but there is one thing that I'm not happy about. The JCB badges are moulded into the arm and the engine and tank covers so they needed to be hand painted and I've made a bit of a pigs ear of them, not sure how successful trying to remove the black paint will be, undecided weather to leave as is or attempt to re do.

The nice weather has allowed me to get some paint on another project and also re paint a previous conversion I wasn't happy with. More pics to follow. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That looks exellent Martin, another classic piece of 70's plant. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GPS said:

That looks really good Martin, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one of those.

How raised are JCB badges? One way I've had reasonable success with in the past is to make sure you have a good layer of black over the raised letters / outline, doesn't have to be too tidy. Over paint the yellow and let dry. Then using a very fine sanding stick ( very, very fine grit wet and dry, stuck on a lolly stick , or something similar), sand over the raised areas down to the black paint.

Done carefully it works quite well....you need a solid thickness of black layer and a non flexible sanding stick.

The other way is to wipe the yellow off the black as it is drying, but anything soft doesn't stay flat to just the raised area, if you see what I mean?

That is good advice thanks, I will have a think and see if I can get that method work. On the body it is only very slightly raised especially the numbers, it protrudes more on the arm so think it will work there but I made a better job of that bit. :unsure:

2 hours ago, mb86 said:

That is good advice thanks, I will have a think and see if I can get that method work. On the body it is only very slightly raised especially the numbers, it protrudes more on the arm so think it will work there but I made a better job of that bit. :unsure:

Liking how you've done the wheels and tracks. Reference the lettering which looks pretty good from here, I've tried this in the past. Painted the letters the same as everything else first then using a wide flat brush lightly loaded with letter colour then brushed off on a bit of card 'til almost unloaded of paint lightly brush across at a very shallow angle. Repeat until your happy with amount of black on there. For a faded weathered look repeating less times should give you the look. Worth a test on some scrap raised profile 1st to get your technique.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Awdmac said:

Liking how you've done the wheels and tracks. Reference the lettering which looks pretty good from here, I've tried this in the past. Painted the letters the same as everything else first then using a wide flat brush lightly loaded with letter colour then brushed off on a bit of card 'til almost unloaded of paint lightly brush across at a very shallow angle. Repeat until your happy with amount of black on there. For a faded weathered look repeating less times should give you the look. Worth a test on some scrap raised profile 1st to get your technique.

Thank you Paddy. That's a good idea. The problem I have is the lettering is raised so little that whatever technique I use I'm going to have to keep on the raised bit. Who would have thought keeping to the lines would be so difficult. :D 

what a out touching the yellow back up using one of those micro brushes you can get martin?? ,thin the pant a bit so it runs a tad easier, just load it with a small amount and use your steadiest hand, have seen these used in vids on youtube,and they paint the finest lines in mould lines ,stuff like that, only other option i could think of is sand them off and use decals, ,cheat though and mount them on a thin bit or plasti card so they look raised 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Model-Paints-Finishes-Modeling-Brush-Small-87017/264267840248?epid=1527657130&hash=item3d87973af8:g:-lAAAOSwLFVcpM-j

3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

what a out touching the yellow back up using one of those micro brushes you can get martin?? ,thin the pant a bit so it runs a tad easier, just load it with a small amount and use your steadiest hand, have seen these used in vids on youtube,and they paint the finest lines in mould lines ,stuff like that, only other option i could think of is sand them off and use decals, ,cheat though and mount them on a thin bit or plasti card so they look raised 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Model-Paints-Finishes-Modeling-Brush-Small-87017/264267840248?epid=1527657130&hash=item3d87973af8:g:-lAAAOSwLFVcpM-j

Cheers Sean, I have some very small brushes so it's worth a try first before I take all the paint back off the badge. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, mb86 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks a very nice model Martin. From the pictures the badges don't look too bad at all, but i know myself how if you're not happy with something it will always bug you. I think the same as Sean with regards to replacing them with decals mounted on thin plasticard  if you're not happy with it, the card will raise them off the body slightly and make them look like they do on the real ones. The other option would be to re do them with the tip of a fine black sharpie, i find them useful for such jobs and  also i find that i can control the line much easier than paint.

• Like 2

Thanks john. The characters are only very slightly raised especially the numbers which is only a thin line, a fine tip sharpie might be better but the one i use for window rubbers has quite a soft nib, I'd be worried it wouldn't go just where I wanted it or stay up on the line. I had considered it but I thought paint would be easier to remove than permanent marker of I went wrong? 

39 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Thanks john. The characters are only very slightly raised especially the numbers which is only a thin line, a fine tip sharpie might be better but the one i use for window rubbers has quite a soft nib, I'd be worried it wouldn't go just where I wanted it or stay up on the line. I had considered it but I thought paint would be easier to remove than permanent marker of I went wrong? 

fine point permanent  overhead projector pen then mart, the nibs on those are pretty dam strong, and do not split like a sharpe would, you can get then in 0.5mm nibs,we use them at work for labels etc .

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 10:15 PM, mb86 said:

What a beast Alastair,  it's a shame about the decals but you might find someone to make a replacement if it's an issue. You are right about the wheels, they are crap on all the autodrome fords. I think I might have a set of wheel weights for it, think they came with my 9600 for some reason which in hindsight I wish id made into a 1454. Anyway if you want them you can have them. 

Hi Martin, that’s very kind of you thank you. I’ll send you a pm

yes the wheels are over the top, they take over what is otherwise a nice model. Wish I’d grabbed a 9600 before they went out of production.