Border Fine Arts - Tractors, Horses and Lorries

BC

I can't find the web page I looked at with some values of past studies on but there is a plethora of info and current prices for all the Border stuff. Best thing to do is to go on the MSN search and trawl through the different sites as there are hundreds of them relating to these.

Just bought this one off eBay, only one other bid, topped that by a fiver. Hope I did'nt pay over the odds for it, ?187.50 inc p&p next day delivery. 'Members only' piece in 2004 priced then at ?250 so I think I did ok.  ??? Am I mad or what?  ;D  ;)

LikeFatherLikeSon.jpg

::) Went for a drive yesterday, what do i happen to come across....... A White wheeled leyland tractor, it was a we distance of the road and had a loder on so i couldnt read the bonnet, i could tell by the bonnet grill and lights she was a leyland for sure

::) Went for a drive yesterday, what do i happen to come across....... A White wheeled leyland tractor, it was a we distance of the road and had a loder on so i couldnt read the bonnet, i could tell by the bonnet grill and lights she was a leyland for sure

Oh no my worst fears but then someone in NZ may have repainted them !!!. Leylands were made at Bathgate in Scotland and all I seen and can remember about are ones with silver wheels.

Oh no my worst fears but then someone in NZ may have repainted them !!!. Leylands were made at Bathgate in Scotland and all I seen and can remember about are ones with silver wheels.

Got my mate to have a look through his colection of pics, from world wide mags hes got, he said there are 20 odd pics and 13/14 are white wheels

Anyone got Leyland brochures they could check?  Surely these would show what the correct colour of the wheels was?

Peter,

I think Nigel Ford said earlier all the brouchers he had showed them as being silver. I have just had another thought I will e-mail Rory Day editor of Classic Tractor since I think he collects literature.

Well here is the response from Rory Day to my question. Many thanks for your fast and efficient response to something that was beginning to bother me. Never mind I getting my model wheels repainted correctly at the open day at the PostHorn Castle Douglas on the 13th April this year.

Dear Bill,

You are absolutely correct about the colour of the wheels of the Leyland 270. They should be silver, not cream.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rory

Rory,

I'm a subscriber to CT as well as being a member here. Don't know if you have seen my post on the Annual Border Fine Art model which is a P reg Leyland 270 with hedge trimmer for 2008. The wheels have been pained a muddied cream but in all my recollections the 270 wheels were painted silver. Just wondered if you could confirm or add anything else to this.

Thanks Bill

• 2 months later...

I was looking in the Posthorn's website to see what time the Border Fine Arts event was on from on Sunday. I see the latest from BFA model is a Limited edition of 950 entitled "Fresh Water on Tap".

It certainly looks like a Cat D2 to me but the jacket hanging over the radiator is more akin to an old standard Fordson ;D ;D

I'm not too sure what the D2 is pulling but I'm wondering if it a trailing finger bar mower ( can't see the cutting bar) that has "couped" ( knocked over ) the horses trough.

Hopefully I will be able to find out more about this one on Sunday.

post-839-132638709013_thumb.jpg

looks like it's pulling a mole plough to me :-\

Could well be potatoman and that would be a more appropriate implement for a D2 to pull ;D

Anyone have any other ideas and or suggestions ???

Yes I think you could be right there. The thing I'm trying to work out is what or who tipped over the bathtub ???

I hope Ray Ayres the master sculptor can shed more light on this when I speak to him on Sunday

I think you may well have hit the nail on the head there. That would figure out the reason for the name of the model "Fresh Water on tap"

Yes its a nice scene and I do like how they combine ( no pun intended ) tractors and horses ;D

I received a letter today from Gray's of Shenstone regarding the Massey Ferguson and plough study titled 'Autumn Ploughing'. This is the one that is supposed to be available only through the Massey dealerships in conjunction with the MF 50th anniverary and not on general release and was advertised in the magazines when it should not have been and if you remember, it was said that anyone that ordered one through the mag ads that Border would honour the order, anyway, the letter says, and I quote,. 'The model will be in stock 23 May approximately'.

looks smart with the silver wheels mate  :)

Yes it looks nice in the correct colours potatoman. I'm hoping mine is unique and the other 949 are left in cream wheels. I didn't manage to speak to Ray Ayres on this since we were more intersted in chatting about the D2 ;D ;D

I think the tub is "new" and just been delivered to the field. They could well be making a trench to run a water line through. Hence the title "freshwater on tap"

TBF you are spot on.... thats what Ray Ayres confirmed.

I received a letter today from Gray's of Shenstone regarding the Massey Ferguson and plough study titled 'Autumn Ploughing'. This is the one that is supposed to be available only through the Massey dealerships in conjunction with the MF 50th anniverary and not on general release and was advertised in the magazines when it should not have been and if you remember, it was said that anyone that ordered one through the mag ads that Border would honour the order, anyway, the letter says, and I quote,. 'The model will be in stock 23 May approximately'.

I forgot to ask the staff at CastleDouglas about that one I was more engrossed seeing my Leyland being repainted and speaking to Ray Ayres on the Cat D2. I was under the impression BFA always did British built tractors but Ray said they had done the JD "Sowing the good seed" and decided to try the CATD2 since they were so popular. Having seen the model in the flesh I still don't particularly like the coat over the radiator. Never the less I have one on order and I'm sure I'll grow to like it ;D ;D

• 1 month later...

Well the latest additions from Border Fine Arts and the latest editions to my collection

First up A9387 Autumn Ploughing Number 006 of 600

Misc060608006.jpg

Misc060608007.jpg

Misc060608008.jpg

Then B1116 Fresh Water on Tap Number 22 of 950

Personally Ithink they have spoilt the model by hanging the jacket over the radiator but maybe it didn't run correctly unleass up to the right heat ;D ;D

Misc060608010.jpg

Misc060608011.jpg