I think we could debate all night about the current economic climate r.e. jobs, and I could post some things about the NHS which have made me very sad in recent weeks, Especially when they effect close family, but I'll refrain and move to something more light hearted! My poor mazda 6 estate is poorly again. It seems to have a continued bad case of flatulence with regular plums of black smoke covering the car behind in the face. Poor thing! Won't be long before it's put down I'm sure!

For sure Andy...money can buy a lot but doesn't ensure happiness and well one can't buy health...oh and buy a decent brand of car if you are still thinking of travelling up to the Granite City for the weekend of 5th and 6th of May ;D ;D

I think we could debate all night about the current economic climate r.e. jobs, and I could post some things about the NHS which have made me very sad in recent weeks, Especially when they effect close family, but I'll refrain and move to something more light hearted! My poor mazda 6 estate is poorly again. It seems to have a continued bad case of flatulence with regular plums of black smoke covering the car behind in the face. Poor thing! Won't be long before it's put down I'm sure!

andy, stop running it on red diesel. ^-^

I think it would be a necessity Bill. I certainly don't trust him/her at the moment! There's some cracking deals for Rodeos at the moment but time will tell I guess. Mark may tempt me in a couple of weeks when we head to Malvern. Upgrading the girlfriends car and me getting a tranny van is another option though.

Sounds as if she is burning oil.

...plums give me flatulence too! :-;):)

If its a diesel I'd get it looked at quickly as I know of a few people who've had cars do that to them only for the turbo to go bang not long afterwards. It could also be a faulty fuel pump solenoid, had a demo tractor do that to me, it just started belching out clouds of black smoke and was told that was the cause..

Andy, you need the Golf back again ::) ::)::) I could always sell you a Mondeo diesel if you want.........(adopts fake Spanish accent) ......special price for you!

One carefull owner, all blue lights and radio equipment removed? :D :D :ph34r:

Sounds as if she is burning oil.

...plums give me flatulence too! :-;):)

Oil smoke is blue... so plumes of black smoke isn't oil, however a service (oil and filters etc probably wouldn't go amiss)

If its a diesel I'd get it looked at quickly as I know of a few people who've had cars do that to them only for the turbo to go bang not long afterwards. It could also be a faulty fuel pump solenoid, had a demo tractor do that to me, it just started belching out clouds of black smoke and was told that was the cause..

black smoke is an imbalance of fuel to air, so yes possibly turbo but without more info ( e.g. do you have less power than before the smoke started?) it could be anything out of a list of things, blocked EGR (my hot favourite), faulty injectors, faulty injector pump, carbon build up in exhaust ports, blocked Diesel particulate filter. if you stamp on the throttle in a turbo diesel ( i mean like squash the pedal into the carpet when overtaking) you do get a bit of black smoke as it sucks some carbon out of the exhaust ports and chucks it out. sounds like it needs plugging into a diagnostics machine before anything too hasty occurs... wish i could afford to change the car every time something went wrong.... :angel:

Andy, you need the Golf back again ::) ::)::) I could always sell you a Mondeo diesel if you want.........(adopts fake Spanish accent) ......special price for you!

if i'm not mistaken the mazda 6 diesel shares its engine with the mondeo, so out of the frying pan into the fire with that suggestion!

if i'm not mistaken the mazda 6 diesel shares its engine with the mondeo, so out of the frying pan into the fire with that suggestion!

Alex, I am on my second Mondeo diesel and I have had this one since April 2006, the engine has been the most reliable part of the car

yes Robbo, I agree about the mondeo tdci's, my dad buys them for his employees as company cars, (we have at least 3 at any one time) and they have all been fine... i was merely pointing out that if Andy were to change his car because he found his current engine to be unreliable it would make no sense to buy the same engine again...

Just before christmas I had to have a new DPF put on which we thought was due to it approaching 100k, but it would appear there is an underlying issue. I've read on a few forums that its tell tell signs the turbo is close to its end however it could be a number of things. There is a distinct reduction in power I must say.

Off to test a few motors at the weekend .

• 1 month later...