Gin Horse Engine House

JC

nice job jason few ton of setts there , do you set them sharpe sand and cement jason and what did you sweep them in with ,back breaking job but a lovely result cracking  ;)

Just set on sharp sand Graham, dry sand and cement brushed in and then wacker plate down. Sprinkle water over them to wash the dry mix in and then leave until its dry enough to brush in a second helping of dry sand and cement mix.

Been busy over the last few days, expect this topic to be updated regularly over the next couple of weeks!

This is the doorway into our pantry in the house....... This will be where I go through into the extension.

003-3.jpg

My better half wasn't too impressed when she got home from shopping on Saturdayas i'm a few days ahead of my supposed schedule!!

001-2.jpg

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have made a good progress. That wall is big :o What is the size?

texas

Not measured it yet Bas, the wall on the other side of the house which I knocked through to create a doorway was 44" so this should be the same. :)

lovely job Jas, that wall looks hard work . great windows do the opening casements slide ???

Yes Mark, side opening Yorkshire sash... I'll take some more picturs of them tomorrow when it's light so you can see them better. I spoke to the old chap who made them this morning, he averaged 27 hours per window  :o to make them!

Not measured it yet Bas, the wall on the other side of the house which I knocked through to create a doorway was 44" so this should be the same. :)

Yes Mark, side opening Yorkshire sash... I'll take some more picturs of them tomorrow when it's light so you can see them better. I spoke to the old chap who made them this morning, he averaged 27 hours per window  :o to make them!

nice thats a long time on one window, must be very well made and pricey. what hard wood did he use.

A few finishing touches before the plasterers start, mock timber lintels above door and windows.....

008-4.jpg

I've added wooden dowels to the corners of the window and door reveals rather than the more modern metal corner strips......

009-4.jpg

Looking stunning Jason, you really are having everything finished to a beautiful standard, the effort you're going to is quite incredible....

Thanks Simon!  :-[

The doorway is now all knocked through and RSJ's in place.... almost 6 tons of rubble from the doorway!

004-1.jpg

003-5.jpg

House side.......

013.jpg

I've built in a pillar where the original studwork wall was to help support the beam for the upstairs floor, just precautionary due to the beam being about 18" from the side of the new doorway and also the camber in the wall......

014.jpg

I have to say simply stunning Jason  ;)

Blended in a treat..

I'm jealous  ;)

Cheers Bazza, hope you're keeping your chin up fella ;)

Christ that's one hell of a wall, they did know how to build 'em back then!!  :o

Will you be wrapped up by Christmas then.... not far off now..?

To be honest, I could have the extension finished by next weekend if i hadn't had a change of game plan this week. I've been pondering over how to finish the stone work off around the doorway for it to look right for a few weeks now, I debated about stripping the wall back, dressing the inside edges and then rebuilding it piece for piece but concuded it would turn into a much bigger job once started and wasn't gauranteed to look right when i had done. I was sat on the back wall with a cuppa discussing it with my dad earlier in the week and deliberating over what would look best and the solution was staring me in the face.......

This is my back doorway which i'll be restoring in the spring, i'm having a replica of this made by a stonemason who does some work for me which i will be putting into the new doorway i've knocked through, he'll be making it this week. I should hopefully get a few pictures of him in action if anyone is interested??

017-4.jpg

Flipping heck, look how thick that wall is?!!! If we face certain death from a nuke strike or a meteor shower, I know which way I'm heading!!

Pity I don't get up your way very much any more, I'd be fascinated to see all this for real.

The drylining round that faceted ceiling looks a royal pain in the ar$e! You didn't fancy doing it in GRG to make it a smooth curve / vault?

That doorway's lovely. I find it very odd that when things like this were built and craftsmen didn't have access to all the fancy tools and handling equipment we have now, everything was so much more intricate and carefully made. Now that we could turn this stuff out far more simply no one seems to bother and it's all Barratt Boxes.... at least yours will still be standing to show future generations that not everyone around now was a bodging cheapskate!