Gin Horse Engine House

JC

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what sort of lintle will you be fitting for a wall that thick jas??? more than  one side by side?? or a steel special made one

It's a bit of a "suck it and see" job Sean, I used three RSJ's for the other doorway I put in with steel plates connecting them together top and bottom but i'll have to wait and see how things unfold as i progress with removing the stone work.  :-\

looking very nice jc you have been a busy boy

nice oak lintel would set the door way off a treat  8)

I have it in mind to use one of those to mask the RSJ's on the extension side of the wall, I have oak lintels over all the doors and windows in the house but i'm not so sure I could rely on one as a load bearing lintel for this doorway due to building regs so it is more likely to be superficial in this doorway.

A little bit more progress in here these last couple of days, all the ceiling in the extension is now ready for plasterboard, i have added extra timbers on the underside of the hipped roof to give a more rounded shape to it once the board is on, all being well with some patience i'll get a fairly even curve on the ceiling once its plastered....

007-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Doors and window now fitted on the garage, all thats left to do on here now is painting the woodwork, fit gutters and fall pipes, point around doors, fill pudlock holes and fit door locks then it is complete.  :)

012-1.jpg

if you can get the ceiling curved jas it will look amazing, seen one done before, and they had left flat spots so to speak in it, where it handn't quite bent round, but given the quallity of the work so far i cant see you doing that

We'll have to see how it goes sean, the walls in the house turned out ok but this is a bit different as its more of a cone shape rather than just a curved wall.....

What are you going to do with the colour of the garage doors Jason..? We converted a range of barns last year and the client fell in love with the colour of the windows with the factory preservative on them and insisted we match all the other joinery to the same colour.... ???::)

They'd look nice with a bold colour on them, nice deep red or sage green next to the stone would be very tasty indeed....

What are you going to do with the colour of the garage doors Jason..? We converted a range of barns last year and the client fell in love with the colour of the windows with the factory preservative on them and insisted we match all the other joinery to the same colour.... ???::)

They'd look nice with a bold colour on them, nice deep red or sage green next to the stone would be very tasty indeed....

Same colour as the facia boards on the Garage, mine is one of the few houses in the village that does not have to have green doors and white windows.

You mean you're not keeping the 'calf scour yellow'  ??? Well I never  :D

How did you get that nut brown colour on the fascias..... it's a nice tone. I've gone for something similar on my internal joinery, I used Rustins Wood Dye in Antique Pine mixed 1:1 with Rustins Danish Oil.... just wipe it on with a dish sponge...

Sikkens summat or other!! Light oak, not cheap though, about £90 a gallon for the last lot I bought last year, sure it'll be more now

My god you sound like Vicky Pollard...... :D

No but yeah but no but I was amazed by how much Sikkens stuff cost, when compared to Sadolin and the like at £10 or £15/L.... have you come across Valtti coatings, Finnish company I think, they have a  massive and stunning range of wood finishes, streets ahead of the usual suspects.

good progress being made now jason eh?  am sure the conservation orifice.......he he saw what we see in this project a sympathetic  well executed  modernisation...........certainly something worthy of showing off.......am sure plenty of space too for a great layout in the garage attic......... :)