Ebay... Crazy prices... useful links etc.

THEBRITFARMER

So is it still in a straw box just with the earlier Major tractor Rob  and what about the colour of the sacks ??? ??? 

Each version of the box is very similar - differing on the front mainly in having a drawing of the DDN Major on the early box and a drawing of the Ford 6600 on the later one which you have pictured above (there were differences on the bottom of the box too). The earlier boxes had a very pale blue plastic tray.

The very earliest version of the box is a slightly lighter shade of blue (though hard to see unless both versions are put side by side). A similar shade change exists with the Shawnee-Poole dumper and I suspect it may well have occurred when the Empire Blue on the Super Major was replaced by the Ford Tractor Blue of the Super Major 5000 (also used on the last versions of the New Performance Fordson Major).

The box itself is based on one made by Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies and the description on the bottom of the early box refers to it as a 'Ransomes':

Box.jpg

source: Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies by Brian Bell

The type of material and colour of the sacks has changed several times over the years.  The earliest ones were a pale greeny grey and made of a very rubbery soft PVC (similar to the early haybales).  In the early 70's the PVC was less rubbery, but the sacks were still the same sort of colour.  These early PVC bales and sacks have a tendency to react with the polystyrene packaging.

Later versions were made of a harder material, which doesn't react, and were usually slate grey, although some were made in a tan colour for a short while in the 80's (like in BCs picture above), and also dark brown later on I think, before reverting to dark grey again.

I can't understand the amount some people are bidding on these at the moment, I certainly wouldn't rate them that highly.

Thanks for the information Clive and well £ 41 is well over the top just for a unboxed transport box.

Zero feedback winning bidder, and underbidder with only 2 feedback, and the pair of them did most of the bidding (next lowest bidder was at £10; still too much IMO).  What's the betting it doesn't get paid for??

• 2 weeks later...

thats pretty much what the one on the stand next to us at zwolle went fro from memory, arround the 300 euros mark,  so near as the same, trissy sold it straingly when the itialian owner went for a wander, infact everything he sold went when we looked after his stand  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

I've noticed a lot of stuff going for half what it was making a couple of years ago, but then some of the amounts that were being bid on run-of-the-mill stuff had got ludicrously high.  To a great extent values have come back to reality.  Mint and boxed stuff still makes fairly good money (though still less than the excessive amounts of 2+ years ago), but playworn and damaged/chipped stuff has really only come back to earth - it just isn't worth much; plus there is loads of damaged stuff about.

The blue muledozer for £13 is a disappointment, depending on condition (or not depending on whether you are buying or selling ;) ), but sometimes very rare stuff fails to live up to expectations because the potential bidders viewing it haven't seen it before and don't realise what it is. 

At the same time, there are still a few long standing eBay sellers offering Britains items at the same vastly overoptimistic BINs as they were 2 or 3 years ago, and they're still not selling.  There are a couple in particular whose BIN prices  make me laugh out loud every time I see them (on a regularly recurring monthly interval every time they are relisted  :laugh: )

I've noticed a lot of stuff going for half what it was making a couple of years ago, but then some of the amounts that were being bid on run-of-the-mill stuff had got ludicrously high.  To a great extent values have come back to reality.  Mint and boxed stuff still makes fairly good money (though still less than the excessive amounts of 2+ years ago), but playworn and damaged/chipped stuff has really only come back to earth - it just isn't worth much; plus there is loads of damaged stuff about.

The blue muledozer for £13 is a disappointment, depending on condition (or not depending on whether you are buying or selling ;) ), but sometimes very rare stuff fails to live up to expectations because the potential bidders viewing it haven't seen it before and don't realise what it is. 

At the same time, there are still a few long standing eBay sellers offering Britains items at the same vastly overoptimistic BINs as they were 2 or 3 years ago, and they're still not selling.  There are a couple in particular whose BIN prices  make me laugh out loud every time I see them (on a regularly recurring monthly interval every time they are relisted  :laugh: )

I've had the same BIN items in my watch list for months, hoping the seller will eventually relent and start lowering the price, or do a Best Offer!

Just so we know what this is when eBay have de-listed the sold item..

It's a David Brown A5 Selectematic brochure (in the Finnish language)... sold for a heady £162.67 ... I bet Stephen Moat is rubbing his hands at this one... good luck to him too I say  :of  ... it just goes to show what happens when you have two or more people 'on it' that really really want it  :of