"Walter Derwent's" Tractor Photos Past and Present

The Tractor Twitcher

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great photos as usual,...that unimog  looks fun to plough with!!

I agree Unkelfurgus - the best photos on the Forum without a doubt. I keep telling Cerin to take notes from Walter then his photography will really progress.

I like the character studies of the drivers almost as much as what they are driving!

I agree Unkelfurgus - the best photos on the Forum without a doubt. I keep telling Cerin to take notes from Walter then his photography will really progress.

I like the character studies of the drivers almost as much as what they are driving!

Certainly didn't look like the easiest of machines to plough with Unkelfurgus, although where the linkage is fitted there was just enough of a gap to see down to the plough, great to see it working :)

Thank you for your very kind words Jo, i'm beginning to figure out how to use the camera I have properly now, mostly through trial and error, still have loads to learn, but I have at least mastered the delete button to get rid of all the rubbish that doesn't appear on here.  :D

That's the great thing about ploughing matches, the levels of concentration etched on some of the competitor's faces :)

young walter derwent deserves some sort of award for these quality pictures,also for the time and effort posting them.

Top marks walter!! ;D

Thanks again unkelfurgus, I'm really enjoying sharing them with fellow enthusiastic forum members, and it's fantastic that some of the photographs I post create a little bit of discussion or stir memories and tales from the people who live and breathe tractors and machinery a lot more than what I do. :)

Here's a few more from today's action:

DSC03563.jpg

DSC03589.jpg

DSC03569.jpg

DSC03565.jpg

DSC03567.jpg

DSC03594.jpg

Looks as though you had a nice day out despite the cold David. Nice photos and good to see something different like a Unimog ploughing ;) ;)

Thanks Bill, had a great day out despite the cold, certainly beat being in the office at work trawling through figures. :) I've never seen a Unimog ploughing before old or new, made for a very interesting sight to photograph, it was also nice to see a good number of local tractors out having ago. :)

Here's a selection of match ploughing Fordson Ns seen on a much warmer day at Festival of the Plough last year.

DSC02568.jpg

DSC02593.jpg

DSC02516.jpg

DSC02526.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

Nice shots again of the old Fordson's David ...I'll bet they all had whinning back ends too.

In my opinion there is nothing nicer to smell on a field then the TVO ( or made up equivalent ) from these older petrol paraffin tractors.

Nice shots again of the old Fordson's David ...I'll bet they all had whinning back ends too.

In my opinion there is nothing nicer to smell on a field then the TVO ( or made up equivalent ) from these older petrol paraffin tractors.

Thanks Bill, agree you can't beat the sight, smell and worm gear whine of a Fordson N, a vintage ploughing match just wouldn't be the same without one. :)

nice pictures  ..very interesting tractors..would not like to pull out of a junction with that long IH snoopy

Thanks Tractorbob, would happily have a go on one in a big wide open field with a large trailed cultivator, but certainly don't envy anyone driving one on a busy road with lots of junctions to negotiate.

Here's the photographs from my ride out into the countryside this afternoon of a John Deere 6530 and Kuhn power harrow/Kverneland Accord combination drill, being used to re-drill patches of 16 acres of slug damaged barley.

The equipment belongs to a friend's farm that has already featured in two of my threads with the behemoth New Holland TF46 combine harvester, JCB Fastrac 1135 4WS and Case International 956XL.

The farm is one of two owned by a farming family that has land dotted about North Yorkshire and is managed by my friend's family for them. It's been almost 7 years since I last took photographs here but i'm hoping as with a couple of other farms to make regular visits throughout the year.

The family have run the farm for around 15 years now having moved up from a big arable farm in Oxfordshire. It was great speaking with my friend's father about his time down there he talked at length about the tractors he used to use down in the South. Ford 7710 tractors were the run-a-bouts whilst John Deere 4455, 4650 and a Steiger Bearcat were the prime movers. A little bit different to the fleet that greeted him when they moved up here.

The '08 plate 6530 is currently the farm's main drilling tractor and was bought to relieve the some pressure from the Fastrac that was carrying out this task. Although there's a front press fitted it wasn't being used fully today ( more to counter balance the drill ) and on most occasions there is a front mounted power harrow fitted instead.

DSC03600.jpg

DSC03601.jpg

DSC03606.jpg

DSC03622.jpg

DSC03628.jpg

DSC03645.jpg

Here's some photographs of the farm fabricated engine driven HIAB trailer used to fill up the drill. The farm relies upon a number of farm built cultivation implements too. I was also given the full tour of the yard and sheds aswell and took some photographs of the equipment which I'll post in my implement thread.

DSC03614.jpg

DSC03615.jpg

DSC03616.jpg

DSC03617.jpg

Nice photos again David. That's a cunning idea having a "hiab" on a tractor trailer...never seen a set up like that before.

Thanks Bill, it's a very useful piece of equipment to have and keeps other tractors and the farm's Sambron 2504 telescopic loader free to perform other tasks.

Here's a couple of photographs I took whilst I was down at the farm of a pair of blue machines. The farm has run a number Fords over the years, from 6600 and 7600 tractors, and not too many years ago they could also call upon the services of a pair of big 2wd Ford 9600 tractors they used for top work and fertiliser spreading.

First up the old TW25 i'm looking forward to driving later in the year once they've rebuilt the front axle. It will then be yoked up to a 7 furrow reversible Dowdeswell.

DSC03651.jpg

The current "Jack-of-all-trades" tractor on the farm is this Ford 7840.

DSC03658.jpg

I'm hoping to go back soon to take photographs of the JCB Fastrac 1135 4WS rigged up to a Knight De - mount sprayer once it's been pulled out of the shed. 

Looks like major work going into that TW :o

She's a tired old girl Colm, but gets taken apart and put back together every year, she's still expected to carry out the large bulk of the ploughing. The farm carry out nearly all of their own servicing and repair work in house.

Next stop on my tractor tour this week was a trip over to see the Headley brothers equipment at Ellers and Beach Farm yesterday. Their Claas combine and MF and Ford tractors have featured in my threads before, but it's been quite a while since I last took photographs here. Again i'm now planning weekly rides over in my attempt to create a photographic diary of the farms they run. It was also good fun to get behind the wheel again.

When I arrived they were busy ploughing in and covering up 7 acres of Beans which had been broadcast earlier onto the land using the farm's Ford 7740 and Amazone fertiliser spreader.

The farm's prime mover an X plate MF 6290 with 6300 hours on the clock was ploughing in the Beans with a Dowdeswell DP7E plough to a depth of around 5 - 6 inches and sounded fantastic, especially with the sun - roof open.

DSC03691.jpg

DSC03683.jpg

DSC03701.jpg

DSC03705.jpg

DSC03751.jpg

DSC03719.jpg

Following hot on the heels of the 6290 was the farm's M plate 3085 which has clocked up 8000 hours and has recently benefited from a thorough mechanical overhaul. It's still expected to carry out all the drilling on the farms hitched to the Kuhn power harrow you see in these pictures along with a recently purchased second hand Accord "piggy back" drill.

DSC03680.jpg

DSC03682.jpg

DSC03699.jpg

DSC03713.jpg

DSC03714.jpg

DSC03772.jpg

Here's a few "working together" photographs, and the trio of blue machines currently used at both Ellers and Beach Farm.

DSC03715.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

DSC03726.jpg

The 7740 and Amamzone spreader.

DSC03666.jpg

The AP cabbed 6610 in need of a clean. It's currently permanantly based at Ellers on bedding up duties.

DSC03667.jpg

Whilst at Beach farm the task is carried out by this recently purchased generation III 5610 that was bought to replace an International 785XL that had gone porous.

DSC03756.jpg

Now for a line up of big green machines. Having seen a number of photographs on here of John Deere and MF big square baler combinations from Bill and Kim in their threads, here's a combination I took in the harvest of 2002 on the Wold Tops of a 4255 and MF 185 baler equipped with an accumulator too.

JohnDeere42552.jpg

JohnDeere4255.jpg

And here's some more modern John Deeres I photographed whilst at Festival of the Plough last year.

DSC02421.jpg

Found this "jolly green giant" sat in a shed on the host farm.

DSC02609.jpg

Whilst I found this 6920 and Claas Quadrant baling in a field near where the steam ploughing was taking place.

DSC02620.jpg

DSC02619.jpg

David have you ever thought of sending some pictures into Classic tractor they run a competition i think called power of the land or over the land. you should send in your shots they are excellent ;)

Thank you Andy, I don't know why I haven't to tell you the truth mate, as i've followed the "Power on the Land" competition since it was launched in the magazine, as i've mentioned to quite a few people on here i've still got loads to learn about photography and the camera I use is nothing fancy but i'm definitely going to have a go this year and send some in.

i think you should some shots are very good and to tell ya the truth i can see why you could not get some published in the magazine. working the next few days myself so plenty of pictures will be taken off my phone

Thanks again Andy, i'm going to enter with absolutely no expectations when the time comes, it will be a complete and pleasant bonus if any of them are considered. Look forward to seeing some more of your photographs over the next few days. :)

great pics david have to agree with you about the 6290 some snort out of them! ;)

Thank you Pete, I'd forgot how wonderful they sounded until I went back over to photograph my friend's example, it's a really nice tractor. :)

Here's some photographs of Nuffield and Leyland tractors I took at Festival of the Plough last year.

DSC02580.jpg

DSC02477.jpg

DSC02494.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02589.jpg

Archived