"Walter Derwent's" Tractor Photos Past and Present

The Tractor Twitcher

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Massey 3095 looks gorgeous, I think I'm in love........ :P:-*

Fantastic tractor, I'll have to scan and post the remaining pictures of the one I drove hauling muck and ploughed with. Here's the same 3095 seen last week at today's match alongside a 3120 model.

DSC03488.jpg

DSC03501.jpg

DSC03502.jpg

great to see such a varied selection of tractors working.Great pictures ;D

Thanks unkelfergus, enjoy getting out into the fresh air with the camera, even more so since i've started contributing on here and seeing other member's photographs on here too.

Here's few "green machines" from the match and also a 6210 that I spotted along side the Case excavator in my other thread working for the Environment Agency.

DSC03492.jpg

DSC03498.jpg

DSC03509.jpg

DSC03543.jpg

As usual David a great selection of colours and makes  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) You should introduce your friend with the Massey fleet to Rory Day and get a fleet profile for Classic Tractor mag ;) ;) ;) ;)

As usual David a great selection of colours and makes  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) You should introduce your friend with the Massey fleet to Rory Day and get a fleet profile for Classic Tractor mag ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thank you Mike, a few blues and the vintage and early classic machines to come. ;)

As far as i'm aware my friend has already introduced himself to the Classic Tractor team, so there is a possibility of it happening in the near future. Really looking forward to going back to the farm myself, i've some holiday to come this month so i'm planning a little trip over to see them and a couple of other friend's farms. It wasn't too long ago that the 2720 was the prime mover of their fleet.

Having seen some of the lovely working photographs on here of spring drilling outfits, here's an autumn drilling set up from the archives at my friend's farm near York, 2005. Seen at Beach Farm are the on hire MF 6190 pulling a 5 furrow reversible Dowdswell plough which I was lucky enough to have a go on. Whilst on the Falcon/Kuhn combination and Farm Force front press is the farm's MF 3085.

MF30853.jpg

MF3085.jpg

MF30852.jpg

MF61903.jpg

MF61904.jpg

MF61902.jpg

I love that B450 plowing very nice  8)

Got to agree Erik, very tidy original tractor and good to see it working. :) Here's a very different International and one of my favourites, a TD18a crawler belonging to Walker Plant of Retford pulling a Ransomes Hexatrac plough at Festival of the Plough, made for a fantastic sight and sound pulling up the hill.

DSC02434.jpg

DSC02437.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02487.jpg

When you think about it, these old crawlers really do hold their own don't they? There is no reason why on a smaller farm that a machine like that couldn't be the main heavy cultivations tractor really.

Yes Tris those crawler's have tremendous pulling power and low ground compaction with the spread of weight over the tracks. Not soo good for travelling on tarmac roads though ;) ;)

Now that International crawler is a nice looking beast David ;) ;)

Extremely tidy beast Bill, could have easily handled another furrow or two. :)

When you think about it, these old crawlers really do hold their own don't they? There is no reason why on a smaller farm that a machine like that couldn't be the main heavy cultivations tractor really.

A option to consider I guess if the land is close to the farm. You could take my Uncle's farm as an example, the majority of the cultivated land is located within sight of the farm in four blocks with very short travelling distances between fields along graded farm tracks, might have to drop a few hints next time i'm up there. :)

There's a few farms near the coast I know of still running Track Marshall 135 and 155s and there's a farm I pass on the way to work that still ploughs with a very tidy Fiat 120C and 4 furrow reversible Dowdeswell.

Here's another International from Festival of the Plough and demonstrates precisely the reason why I enjoy having a nosey around the unloading area of an event, you never know what's going to be sat amongst the trucks and 4x4s. So imagine to my drooling delight when I found an International "Snoopy" 3588 basking in the sunshine, first one i've seen in the flesh. :)

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02570.jpg

DSC02571.jpg

That crawler is sweet, but you got to love the snoopy, my friends in Iowa used to have 2 of them, they got replaced by 8970 fords.

Erik.

Amazing looking tractors Erik, thank you for sharing the photograph of your friend's tractors, they look really tidy. There's been quite a few over here featured in magazines in recent times and it was nice to finally stumble across one. :)

I have never seem a Snoopy in the flesh David but I like the look of them  ;) ;)

I totally agrere with you on having a wander in the unloading areas.... it is amazing what you find ;) ;)

I have never seem a Snoopy in the flesh David but I like the look of them  ;) ;)

I totally agrere with you on having a wander in the unloading areas.... it is amazing what you find ;) ;)

Very interesting concept for an articulated tractor Bill, and although technically not the same, has the look of a modern day Doe. The first memory I have of one as a youngster was seeing a photograph of one in an old edition of Farm Machinery by Brian Bell. I've always been curious about them, but it hasn't been until recently that a number have found their way into preservation and had the exposure in various magazines to reveal a bit more about them. Fantastic looking tractor and capped to have finally seen one to photograph. :)

Very true about unloading areas, it's often in the quietest corner of a show or working day you find the most unsual and quirky machines. :)

Here's a selection of photographs from years gone by of one of the most well known match ploughing families in Yorkshire and possibly the UK, The Wittys who have at least 9 World Championships between them. These photographs were taken at various local matches and the last one was taken at the National Championships in 2002.

Ford4610T.jpg

Ford77403.jpg

Ford77404.jpg

Ford4610T3.jpg

Ford4610T2.jpg

Ford4610.jpg

Another weekend and another morning spent in the fresh air of a local ploughing match this time arranged by Ryedale Vintage Tractor Club. Although the weather was bitterly cold at least it took place on land that had dryed a little bit thanks to the howling wind and sunny start to the day.

Easily the most unusual machine I found today ploughing was this baby Unimog which looks similar to the one Siku released as a model last year.

DSC03572.jpg

DSC03573.jpg

DSC03581.jpg

Little Zetor 6211 on the "signing on" trailer.

DSC03596.jpg

Archived