"Walter Derwent's" Tractor Photos Past and Present

The Tractor Twitcher

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another selection of photographs from Driffield Steam Fair 2008.

Firstly a pair of very tidy small 4wd conversions from both blue and red corners.

Roadless Super Dexta.

DSC01871.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

Massey Ferguson 135 with Schindler front axle.

DSC02030.jpg

DSC02029.jpg

Continuing the small theme a restored Ford 3000 and ex-farm 3600.

DSC02000.jpg

DSC01877.jpg

A nice selection of tractors there from the Driffield show...especially the Nuffield's ;) ;)

Thanks Bill, still a few more to upload from that event, couldn't help but notice the very smart Nuffield in your profile picture, is that a Universal you have there? I have had the pleasure of having a little go on a friend's ex-farm 10/60 with a spring tine drag a few years ago which was good fun.

Here's a couple of photos from the archives from a local show about 20 years ago. My little brother James sat astride a Nuffield Universal and myself aboard a Case ( I think it's a DEX, but i'm unsure. )

NuffieldUniversal.jpg

CaseDEX.jpg

More great pictures  :o that 3000 looks like it just came from the factory  8)

Erik.

Thank you Erik, lovely little tractor that 3000, in very good order. :)

Another selection from Cereals 2008 this time showing some of the Steyr based Case IH tractors on display.

Starting with an older CS94 being used to demonstrate a Caruelle trailed sprayer.

DSC01414.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

And on the Case IH stand, 105 Pro and CVX160 models.

DSC01386.jpg

DSC01395.jpg

Thanks Bill, still a few more to upload from that event, couldn't help but notice the very smart Nuffield in your profile picture, is that a Universal you have there? I have had the pleasure of having a little go on a friend's ex-farm 10/60 with a spring tine drag a few years ago which was good fun.

Its a 1957 Nuffield Universal DM4 which was new to my grandfather and I now have it in my small collection of vintage tractors.

I attach a link to a post on it

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=22175.0

Its a 1957 Nuffield Universal DM4 which was new to my grandfather and I now have it in my small collection of vintage tractors.

I attach a link to a post on it

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=22175.0

Your DM4 looks absolutely superb Bill, love reading about the history and seeing all the original documents on tractors like this, thanks for posting the link.

Today I had to visit the Dentist in Malton for a couple of fillings and a bit of a polish, so I thought I'd call in to see my 83 year old Grandad whilst I was down there. Almost immediately we started discussing his time spent farming the B.A.T.A owned farm he ran on the Wold Tops and the various machines he used.

He talked with vivid happiness about his time spent using a 6 cylinder Chrysler petrol engined self propelled Massey Harris combine that was brought by train to the station at Sherburn in wooden crates and assembled there by Dales of Bridlington before my Grandad drove it up to the farm. Apparently the machine was a equipped with a header trolley or carriage as my Grandad called it and was capable of a swift 20mph without it attached on the road. Fantastic memories to share.

I asked him whether or not he had any old photographs of the machines he used and the following is the only one he could find, which now becomes the oldest photograph in my collection.

According to my Grandad it was taken in 1947 and shows centre stage a Field Marshall tractor which apparently was one of the first to operate in the area. It came from Wilfred Scrutons just over the Wold and was driven by Grandad across frozen fields back from the dealership to the farm.

Stood in the middle is my Great Uncle Aubrey who died of Rheumatic Fever at a young age, whilst my Grandad is seen to the right leant against the front of the tractor.

Dad_leaning_on_bonnetand_Uncle_Aubr.jpg

From Driffield Steam Fair here's a selection of Marshall tractors and a Fowler VF crawler.

Model M

DSC01991.jpg

Field Marshall ( not sure what series )

DSC02026.jpg

David Aylward's stunning Series 3

DSC02013.jpg

Series 3A

DSC02017.jpg

Fowler VF

DSC01868.jpg

Glad you enjoyed my Nuffield story David. Nice tio see you got that excellent old photograph with your grandad in your hands Seeing the photograph of David Aylward's Field Marshall reminds me when I met him many years ago at the Cumbria rally which was held in Kendal then before moving to Grange over Sands at Flookburgh. He had an absolutely stunning petrol parafinn Nuffield at the show that year. In addition I saw him again when I was at the show at Flookbourgh. Even his lorry a 7 1/2 ton Dodge was in immaculate condition. Now if anyone knows how to restore a tractor to concourse condition then David Aylward does. He is a credit to the tractor preservation movement.

Glad you enjoyed my Nuffield story David. Nice tio see you got that excellent old photograph with your grandad in your hands Seeing the photograph of David Aylward's Field Marshall reminds me when I met him many years ago at the Cumbria rally which was held in Kendal then before moving to Grange over Sands at Flookburgh. He had an absolutely stunning petrol parafinn Nuffield at the show that year. In addition I saw him again when I was at the show at Flookbourgh. Even his lorry a 7 1/2 ton Dodge was in immaculate condition. Now if anyone knows how to restore a tractor to concourse condition then David Aylward does. He is a credit to the tractor preservation movement.

Thanks Bill, enjoy reading threads about tractors like that, i'm quite pleased how the old photo of my Grandad came out on the scanner as the original is very very small in comparison. I'm hoping to now see whether any of my Dad's side of the family have any old photos of the Fordsons and equipment they used to run in Dalby (watch this space.)

Got to agree David Aylward's restoration work is a joy to behold, seen a few of his tractors over the years, certainly enjoys a Marshall or two.

There's a few more nice tractors from Driffield to come, but here's the pair of machines that were leading grain from the big New Holland TF46 seen in my other thread. Firstly "on the move," the farm's JCB Fastrac 1135 4WS which is also the main drilling tractor on the farm. Secondly a very smart Case IH 956XL which they ran for a couple of years before I believe it was replaced by a blue roofed Ford 7840.

Again not the sharpest of photographs but hopefully do the machines a little bit of justice especially the 956XL which was kept in fairly decent order.

JCB11354WS.jpg

JCB11354WS2.jpg

CaseIH956XL4.jpg

Case956XL3.jpg

Case956XL2.jpg

CaseIH956XL.jpg

Nice ones David I'm keen on Internationals too and even more so Farmall's. I have three in my collection. Another link for you on my wee red nashes.

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=14526.0

Thanks for the link, lovely little tractors you have there in fantastic condition Bill, enjoyed looking through the older progress pictures too. Do like seeing International tractors, my Grandad who ran the Field Marshall ran several W30s and a big W40 back on the farm on the Wolds before moving onto some of the later model Farmalls.

I'll have a dig through my loose photographs as both myself and Dad have taken quite a few over the years of Cubs and As at events, however here's a couple of photos of Farmall As i've got sat on my computer, an original unrestored example seen at Driffield and nice restored version seen at Festival of the Plough last year.

DSC01879.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

To compare and contrast here's a slightly bigger tricycle wheeled BN seen at Newby Hall.

DSC01312.jpg

Thanks David not many of the Farmall BN's about. I know of only one in Scotland but there could be more.

Can't remember seeing any more BNs in the flesh other than in magazines Bill, this is the only photograph I have of one.

Here's some more from Driffield, a selection of Ford and Fordson conversions. Up first a well restored Roadless Super Major.

DSC02023.jpg

DSC02028.jpg

County Super 4

DSC01892.jpg

County 1124 that came over from Holland.

DSC01905.jpg

DSC02012.jpg

Very nice pics and some decent machinery as well  ;) ;)

Thanks Pete, appreciated, would have liked to have taken a few more photographs of some of the machines working rather than just parked up, but it's a pretty big show to properly see in a day and secondly half my time tends to be spent stuffing myself full of free food on the Frontier stand.  :D

Here's a pair of John Deere's that were working, firstly a 6630 demonstrating a type of satelite guidance device followed by an 8530 on a large Kuhn trailed cultivator.

DSC01507.jpg

DSC01544.jpg

DSC01542.jpg

DSC01540.jpg

DSC01539.jpg

DSC01481.jpg

the pic on the last page of the roadless super major looks familiar ;D i know the driver (owner) he is the chairman of the local vintage club i belong (im the vice chairman) he is also the vice president of the ford and fordson club ;)

I was wondering whether you'd recognise any of the machines and people involved with them from your neck of the woods Mike, your chairman has a very nice tractor there. :)

I've attended Driffield Steam Fair 4 times now and always had a decent day out despite the inclement weather last year, just about avoided the showers for the tractor parade. I remember one year I attended they had a working area with some steam cable ploughing and also some tractor pulling, always some nice interesting machines to take photos of.

Here's nice combination I saw last year, a Track Marshall sat aboard a very smart Leyland artic low loader.

DSC01846.jpg

DSC01847.jpg

DSC01922.jpg

DSC01927.jpg

Nice looking set up David with the Leyland artic unit and the lowloader.

Does look very tidy Bill, I always take photographs of the trucks and commercial vehicles aswell at the shows I attend and there were some very smart trucks on display at Driffield.

Back to the tractors and a selection of Fordson N, E27N, Major and Dexta machines taken in between the rain.

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01909.jpg

DSC01891.jpg

DSC02003.jpg

DSC01992.jpg

DSC01980.jpg

Archived