jdc's bit.

jdc

If the land had been ploughed and then worked down with a simba culti press or the like the front power harrow would'nt be needed?

(Sorry John stilling can't get over the soils your working with)

ah but that then means 2 passes before you seed ol, so 3 in total with seeding ,this way its plough then 1 pass with front and rear harrows and seeder, we used to do it much the same but didnt have the combo drill, had 2 harrows out infront of the drill on other tractor, this just saves time and running costs

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the land had been ploughed and then worked down with a simba culti press or the like the front power harrow would'nt be needed?

(Sorry John stilling can't get over the soils your working with)

No probs Ol  :D

Did think about a Culti press - quite expensive for a one purpose machine.....not usable in wet years either, takes a lot of hp. One neighbour has one and uses it less every year.

Another neighbour (whose land is like mine but faces North) has 150hp Case on 4m power harrow, with front press followed by 135 Case on 3m Khun/Accord with front press and still can't get the seedbed he'd like (sometimes he hauls out an old Rotaspike as well on the bad bits!). I think my system works pretty well overall.

Great pics, keep them comming.

Why run two power harrows? Would a press and/or cultivator up front not cost less to operate?

It would, but I wouldn't get the seedbed quality - the power harrow is slower but relatively efficient.  :)

Here's couple from this week - had a blitz on fertiliser and got spraying on Friday....

this was before it got manky with fertiliser dust.  :D

post-300-13263905017_thumb.jpg

post-300-13263905018_thumb.jpg

whats your views on them KRM spreaders my boss just bought one should be here wednesday, nice renault looks spotless 8)

It's a brilliant machine - I did 140 Ha the other day and it was less that 2 kg/ha out. The only thing that could be better is the headland setting which involves reversing disc direction and slowing PTO speed.

now i am lost, thought you had sold the renault john?? how many tractors do you have , know of the 3065 and the new nh

Like marky says - easily confused.  ;D ;D  I was posing around the other day and took these.  :D :D

post-300-132639050837_thumb.jpg

post-300-132639050849_thumb.jpg

Inmats power spader from holland ever been demoed in the north of England John?

People with them or powered rotor spikes swear by them here,often were cattle have been wintered on the same land year in year out.

There have been lots of machines tried over the years Ol (Dutzi to name another) but everyon has returned to the plough/p.harrow or min-till.

Nice yard pic John. I recon Classic Tractor should pay you a visit to look at your MF's and a quick glimpse over the rest of the fleet  ;) ;)

Not really classics Tris - give it another 20 years.  :D

Had a demo of the Lemken Solitaire 8 drill this week on dealer's JD 6930. Seemed to be a good enough machine....

lemken1.jpg

lemken2.jpg

lemken3.jpg

Are you worried John is maybe going green Colm ??? ???

Doubtful Bill.  :D

So John how does the Lemken compare to the Kuhn ???

A bit lighter built I'd say, but that may show in the price. I think the disc assemblies are all similar if not the same. Odd size hopper - 1200 litres which means roughly a bag and a half.

Didn't play too much with the JD but couldn't work out how to get the HMS to operate the spools and throttle.  :D

• 1 month later...

Well, I got a new toy today. After years of indecision, got one of these. :D :D

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Now I'm just itching to sow something...anything.  :D

Archived