Ever since I bought some 590s I've been itching to have a go at this. After a lot of cutting and grinding I'm at the mock-up stage, but think it looks OK.  :-\

Still a lot more to do though.......

550_1.jpg

550_2.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MF500 series had three cab types Paul...

A - for MF550 only.. straddle floor

B - MF560 and MF565 only... semi-straddle type floor

C - MF575, 590, 592 and 595 - flat floor - ie. no transmission hump

well you learn something everyday,i thought all the 500 series had the same cab,shows how much i know

Yes it was.... it was only the cab base area that differed... you can tell an A B or C by the height it appears on the machine.. it's one of those... "Ah yeah" moments... well... it was for me... I only learned that a few months ago when I did a 550 Buyers guide for CMFE

Thanks for all the comments.  :)

that looks really good,what bits and bobs have you used,wheels ,tyres and front axle,i take it the cab is right off the uh 590 ,is the floorpan off the 590 as well,sorry for all the questions

It is a 590 cab floorpan and bonnet, with a 135 chassis. The front axle is a Scaledown brass one as this gives another couple of mm height also it will be easier to fit the power steering. I cheated a bit by not making the transmission longer but merely moving the front axle forward by around 3mm.

As Lord F pointed out the cab should have more of a 'bump' in it so it was either modify the floorpan or the chassis - in the end I did a bit of both but cutting into the chassis is easier.

The bonnet needs severe trimming (and is quite thick die-cast), I had already cut this down for a 2wd 590 so just carried on and took more off.

looking very good is it a 135 skid with the 590 cab and bonnet i want to convert one to be a 2wd 590 red cab like mine but with less rot!

A lot of chassis needs to be cut to make the 2wd 590.  :(

Looking very good. :)

I grew up around Massey 550s and 590s and i know how different they was, the main heavy work tractor on the farm my father worked on was a grey cabbed 4wd 590 with a opico turbo the driver told me it pushed out 100hp, i did belive him them..ha ha! it sounded lovely whatever it produced!!, though the old mans twin door 550 was the best tractor on the farm..

Cannot wait to see the finished result jdc...