The adventures of Marky and Penny... new to me on Sunday 15th August 2010

Lord Ferguson

Well folks... for those of you who didn't guess anyway... Kev's tractor Penny now has a new Daddy... and I'm extremely proud to tell you that it's me  ;D:-*:-* :-*

I plan to get her running like a clock.. cleaned up and then I'll assess what (if anything) I intend to do to her.  She's keeping her name in honour of her second daddy Kev.  Here she is yesterday when me and my good mate Chris popped over to pick her up.

I must also say a HUGE thanks to Kev for his patience with me over the collection arrangements.. I only let him down about 100 times in 2 months  :-[:-[ :-[:-[

DSC_1468.jpg

backing her on was a bit tricky... it called for someone experienced... and suitably attired for the job too...

DSC_1479.jpg

luckily we found just the fella... here he is in the last stages of performing the very tricky reversing manoeuvre  ;):P

DSC_1484.jpg

Loaded up and time for the off...

DSC_1490.jpg

safely to her new home in Cambridgeshire...

DSC_1495.jpg

tucked up in bed, safe and dry...

DSC_1514.jpg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she's a real 'honest' machine Tim... my feelings are that she's too good to restore... having said that... she'll have to clean up a lot better than she currently is though... a lot of HEAVY surface rust on the backend castings... I'm hoping it will wire brush off gently so she can get a coat of diesel... failing that... she'll get the works I guess  :-\

I do like them in their working clothes.. especially when they are this good.. once you've taken a paint brush too them they can never be put back I guess  :-\

I'd be interested to hear everyones thoughts on the above really  :-\

that must be that euro one kev got?? high mounting one, the coldridge day guy has / had loads of them 35 pickup bits, well the last one we went to did, shame you didnt get to go this year

They are not that hard to find mate really.... but if she's staying 'as is' then it will need to be 'aged' a little I guess

good to see her in a good home

your collection is expanding now marky whats next on the shopping list then

Divorce according to my darling wife  :of;D:-\

:D :D  .. I've taken the liberty of buying a wife brush with your name on it Mr Holmes  ;):P:-*

you mean i get to use Julie with a handle u...........! ;D ;D ;D:-*

no probs, i'm sure she'll let me out for a few hours over the weekends?, it will be interesting anyway to work on it  :)

Loverly little thing that!  Look forward to your next inspirational article in a certain mag.!!

Personnaly I would clean her up and keep her the same.  Seems a shame to produce another ***** and span classic.  That is the real macoy as is - don't spoil her...... :'(

You have bagged yourself an nice original off farm workhorse there Mark and unless you go and do a concours restoration on her you could end up devaluing it. It has to be leave alone or the full works. I would tend to degrease and apply liberal amounts of diesel to preserve here.

Anything to be done mechanically Mark ??? ???

Two points I noticed on the method of transportation (my opinions you and other may differ) :-\ :-\

Reversed on. One rarely sees tractor being reversed on either by the rally boys or even the haulage contractors. Loading is always a tricky operation and I always find driving on where you have full visibility the best. Again should you encounter any wheel slip you can dip the clutch and roll back should the need arise. I also find it far safer to reverse off since well you are at the back and seeing exactly what is happening. The only time I would consider reverse loading would be say it had a loader on the front and you had to get the right weight distribution on the drawbar and tow hitch.

How was the tractor secured. I did not see and ropes or ratchet straps. Kev could have done you for an insecure load ;D ;D

how can you leave it original if ya putting new rims and tyres on the front? they will stand out.

nice little tractor, will look good on ya red/grey trailer.

thanks Mike.... I've bagged some 'period' skinny's for the front mate which I am pretty sure she would have come with from new.. I'll also be keeping the old wheel rims to put her back to 'as found' condition

Bill... Mechanically I think she needs a new waterpump... battery... cranks seals... brake shoes (or a good clean out).... side cover gasket and PTO lever O ring.. steering box overhaul... and the radius rods are worn at the tractor end (on the balls) - in short.. yes but I'm ot sure I will do all of those jobs in all honesty.  Oh and she runs like a pig at the moment too. The clutch seems ok though... mind you.. if I do the rope seals I'll do that as well I guess  :-\

As for loading.. we loaded her on front ways first but we couldn't get any weight on the hitch of the Landy.. we took the view it would be better to get some more weight up front - I'm pleased to say it did the trick.  Dry ramps and dry ground reduced the risk of skidding of course

She's secured down with two ratchet straps and a length of rope as well - I often laugh at people who use a spiders web of straps, which in most cases is over the top.  I was fortunate enough to have an expert with me in my mate Chris who has driven just about anything you can think of from 100t excavators to class I HGV's... I'd put him in the same catagory as PDC when it comes to driving and his knowledge of how to secure and transport a load safely.

After she fell off the side at Milton Keynes we did plonk her back on the trailer side ways having said that  :-\ :P

Mark,

Yes I did wonder if the reason was hitch weight and being a shortist looking trailer you would not have had much chance of altering the weight distribution. Good decision on behalf of Clive then I would say.

On spider webs like this you mean ??? ??? ...I haven't lost a tractor yet ;D ;D BA2008002-1.jpg

I have hauled around tractors behind my cars for nearly 25 years now and it was a lorry driver that taught me to do that lorry mans hitch knot. Cris cross the ropes or straps over the tyres is the best way of lashing them down plus no damage to the paintwork. I have seen all sort of folk with weird and wonderful ways of tying down. Some have included strap's through the wheel scallops with duster's to safe chaffing and also seen dwangs used over a bell housing ...now that is what I call rough. Each to his own I suppose but I tend to overrope for safety's sake but again I have never yet had to stop and secure my load. Done once done right is the motto I tend to about in life in both work and play ;) ;)