Your top 5 Britains Models of all time-And your 5 most wanted?

MuirHillyBilly

Hi everyone

I was thinking about my favourite Britains models past and present and wondered which you guys would pick if you had to, desert island discs style! Whether for the build quality, nostalgic reasons, the colour, the rareness or the downright obscurity of some models we all must have a top 5? Also what are the 5 you would have if money and availability were no object? I'll kick us off with mine;

My fave Top 5- owned

- County 1884- Has to be in white for me, a legendary Britains model, I'm sure the yellow and white ones I had as a kid were significantly less expensive than they are now!!  :of

- Pottinger Erntewagen- I don't know what it is about this model I just love it, it just has an authenticity even though I have never actually seen one in real life.

- MF Seed Drill- Just an icon, plain and simple. I still don't know why one of the steps opens up? A seed drill with a secret compartment! It looks the part with nigh on any tractor IMO.

- MB-Trac 1500- My 1st ever Britains model! Not this exact 1 though, sadly the original ended up in tractor heaven. Pure class

- Shawnee Poole + Mini Dumper- Ok so this is 2 models but rules are there for breaking. Like the seed drill the Shawnee just looks awesome, shame a lot of new tractors can't take it's 2 hook hitch  :( The dumper is just kinda rustic for me, and a bit rare?

Top 5- most wanted

- Claas Forager- Can't remember the exact model number but it was a powerfarm model too. Seem quite rare.

- A mint Fyson elevator- I have one but it's a bit tatty as most 2nd hand ones seem to be.

- The MB Trac Sprayer- I actually think this is a conversion but have seen 2 or 3 over the years, one recently went on Ebay for £250!

- The special edition of the old white Lamborghini that had mud (brown paint) splashed on it, first attempt at a weathered look I think and this was about 20 years ago, does anyone remember this version?

- The Alfa-Laval slurry tanker- Always loved this and the Howard muck spreader, the Howard is still easy to get hold of but a good AL seems pretty tricky.

Looking forward to all of yours  :D

post-3151-132639651577_thumb.jpg

post-3151-132639651805_thumb.jpg

post-3151-132639651934_thumb.jpg

Good topic  :)

1. Massey Ferguson 135. We had one on our farm from the early '70s until 1985 (the year we left for Canada) so as a kid I pretended to be my Dad. It was the model I learned the principles of driving, how a vehicle with a towed unit corners and how to reverse a tractor and trailer before I was ever let loose with the real thing so this model has a special place in my heart.

2. Square baler, Bamford or New Holland. I loved these models when they worked, surface had to be just right as I remember. Popping those bales out just like the real thing. The mechanics of the thing were a work of art, just an awesome toy.

3. Multi level elevator. Delicate yet realistic and with great "playability" just the thing to use after the baler.

4. Fiat 880 with half-tracks. I always thought it took someone with b***s of steel to put this model on the market. just not thousands of the real thing out there and it didn't look right with a lot  of the implements of the time. I don't think my brother or I ever bought one in our playing days but I'm glad I have one as a collector.

5. Case IH Magnum 335 with duals front and rear. One seriously impressive tractor with nice detail probably mucho fun in the sand pit or on the carpet.

This top five is what I think right now, I reserve the right to be flakey and change it at any time.  ;)

I don't really have a top five I'm looking for but I will say I'm really looking forward to seeing the two new International models.

Good topic Lee.

My top 5

Not in order but some of the ones I like best for various reasons

No 9528 Fiat Hesston 580 DT

Quite rare and also MIB model

22032010008.jpg

No 9572 Massey Ferguson yellow industrial wth loader

An absolute mint box and I do like the contrasting colour schemes.

Plus the red MF 135 in slider box was my second childhood toy which survived

13092010007.jpg

No 9592 MF 595 with ploughs,disc harrows, sprayer, mowe and rake

In a lovey old straw box and in excellent condition

12032010028.jpg

12032010029.jpg

No 00236 Valtra Valmet 8930 in Claas Green

A rarer model and again in mint box. I actually bought two of these within weeks of one another last year

02112010009.jpg

No 9670 Dumper truck with driver

Its an old straw box and they were just so good model in terms of playability

23012010008.jpg

I forgot to add my top five wanted. Well I suppose I'm looking for around 50 ish models from 1978 to 1996 and some of the ones I really want (again in no order) are as follows

From 1978

No 9556 - New Holland red hay baler

No 9566 -  High sided silage trailer in blue and white

From 1984

No 9576 - Corn king combine

No 9598 - Ford tractor and rear digger

From 1985

No 9603 - Volvo front loader and rear digger

With the exception of No 9603 I have seen all the other ones for sale but either too expensive for my liking or the boxes were not in good enough condition.

Quote from Lee

Top 5- most wanted

- Claas Forager- Can't remember the exact model number but it was a powerfarm model too. Seem quite rare.

- A mint Fyson elevator- I have one but it's a bit tatty as most 2nd hand ones seem to be.

- The MB Trac Sprayer- I actually think this is a conversion but have seen 2 or 3 over the years, one recently went on Ebay for £250!

- The special edition of the old white Lamborghini that had mud (brown paint) splashed on it, first attempt at a weathered look I think and this was about 20 years ago, does anyone remember this version?

- The Alfa-Laval slurry tanker- Always loved this and the Howard muck spreader, the Howard is still easy to get hold of but a good AL seems pretty tricky.

Lee here are some of the ones you are looking for

No 9573 - Claas forage harvester which was out from 1989 to 2000. Sorry but I don't seem to have a picture.

The powerfarm one is number 9323 and issued in 1988. I not too sure but I think it may have only been issued for one year

12032010022.jpg

12032010021.jpg

12032010020.jpg

In addition there is a set with Forager and trailer

I have two versions of the Fyson elevator

No 9587 in an AMB or blue spot box

01062010009.jpg

No 9579 in a Rainbow box

10112010003.jpg

Finally

No 9560 Alfa-laval vacuum tanker

23112010028.jpg

What a fantastic topic.  I've had to put a bit of thought into this....... I've been collecting mainly Britains since I was born in 1980, so here goes.....

No 1: - New Holland TR85 Maize harvester, I received this as a Christmas gift at the same time that my father & grandfather built me a wooden farm yard complete with scratch built metal gates.  Fond memories :)

No 2: - Fordon Major blue & Industrial Yellow models.  Given to me by my grandfather. Loved these models for years & completely unaware that the industrial was quite rare until the latest model farmer mag (unfortunately by then the model has had tens of thousands of carpet farming hours)

No 3: - My latest purchase CIH 535 STX Quadrtrak,  I worked for a time at Earnest Doe Power (Fakenham) and was completely mesmerised by the real thing it took me a while to get to see the real thing working but since i first clapped eyes on it I knew I must have a model of one.

No 4: - Lamborghini 1706 turbo with push me-pull you plough set up, I don't know why,maybe because I have never seen a set up like this before & certainly never seen the real thing working.

No 5: - New Holland T8040, I currently have this set up on display with a scratch built Kverneland land plough although I would like to team it with a UH Gregoire Besson 8 furrow plough.

As for the models I would like: -

No 1: - One of the 1980's Massey Ferguson combine harvesters to replace the original that went to that great model grave yard many moons ago :'(

No 2: - Having just seen a copy of the latest Britains catalogue I must have the new New Holland T9-390 on dual wheels,although it would also be handy if the produced some implements to complement the higher horsepower tractors.

No 3: - The new IH 956XL it reminds me of my youth when my father used take me around all the local agricultural dealers to collect tractor/machinery brochures. (For the same reason I would also like the UH 7810)

No 4: - The 1980's Krone round bale carrier for the same reason as no 1  :'(

No 5: - Several of the Newer John Dreere tractors as my collection is surprisingly sparse on John Deere models possibly as a can never recall Britains producing John Deere's throughout the 80's (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway that is my list thankyou for a couple of hours of fun & reminiscing

Kind regards

PR

I think I'd have to go for:

1. Ford 7710 - absolute classic and love the fact that the whole scale of the machine is based on the size of a Britains rear wheel

2. Chafer sprayer

3. Fiat 880 with half tracks

4. Cambridge rolls - love the simplicity and the fact that they do sound a little bit like the real things when you use them

5. Ford FW-60 - iconic machine when I was a child and very pleased they released it - just wish I had bought the double wheeled version from Ertl as it looks even more impressive

Most wanted:

1. Deutz dual wheels all round with bright orange hubs

2. A working powerfarm TW35 - it seemed revolutionary when I was a child even though it was in fact quite rubbish!

3. the old MF combine

4. Potato harvester - loved the way it all worked

5. Round bale sledge with the special pick up attachment

Least wanted/impressed:

The 'realistic engine sound' on the big MFs or more accurately, a small piece of clicking plastic on the rear axle - utterly rubbish, even as a child.

Great posts! So jealous of all these boxed mint examples  :D

Still can't find a white Lamborghini with mud on it from new! Was this in my imagination?

Well I'm glad you are enjoying your time on here Lee..and I'm glad you like some of my boxed mint examples..but don't be jealous since it has taken me since 2004 to amass my collection of 777 Britain's

I'll add some more photo's of other items mentioned in previous posts over the weekend or next week ;) ;)

PS... On the "Lambo" I think someone must have been an early one with the weathering theme :-\ :-\

MuirHillBilly.

Re your query regarding the secret compartments on the rear off the Massey 130 seed drill, they were for Ballast weights which were supplied with each Drill, but i do know that they were deleted from the later production ones , possibly when production of the models moved to China, i am not to sure on this, but if Ploughmaster see's this post i am sure he will be able to clarrify the situation. I have included some pictures from one of my models for you to see what they look like.

101_0879.jpg

101_0880.jpg

tractorman314.

MuirHillBilly.

Re your query regarding the secret compartments on the rear off the Massey 130 seed drill, they were for Ballast weights which were supplied with each Drill, but i do know that they were deleted from the later production ones , possibly when production of the models moved to China, i am not to sure on this, but if Ploughmaster see's this post i am sure he will be able to clarrify the situation. I have included some pictures from one of my models for you to see what they look like.

tractorman314.

Oh yeah now I remember, I'll be honest when I first got it at a young age I had no clue what they were for and think I just binned them  :of

My top 5 are

Ford 6600

MF 135 loader

Bamford BL58 I love the way the bales move through the baler

Fordson major new performance

Landrover LWB

I love the older models

My wish list need to find MIB at realistic price I can afford are

Stock animal trailer

Lister Elevator

Potato harvester

Log Trailer first edition old one

Fordson major blue with white grey wheel centres and mudguards

New models are also good but the older ones started me collecting farm models,I am looking forward to the new releases in 2011 and adding to increase my collection

My top 5 owned models are

Massey 2680 : I think it was the fact it was very easy to play with because you could push it along and steer easily with the front mudguards that I played with it so much as a youngster. My favourite Britains tractor.

Kverneland variwidth plough: always looked good behined one of my yellow counties, even better that I have two yellow counties and two Kvernies.

Duetz cattle lorry: Just loved this as a kid, but then always had a soft spot for lorries.

Hughes ICI crop helicopter: Many thousands of acres dusted as a child.

Case Magnum farmshow 2009: Streching it slightly as Britains but I like this model, yes the stars and stripes paintjob is a bit brash but its different.

My Top five I would like are.

The Red, blue, yellow and green Valmets.

Gold Mercedes 1500

yellow Ford and Shawnee

Hesston fiat

Fordson Major.

plus many many others.

top 5

jcb 520-4  got it at the bath and west show in 1984

massey 760 combine

howard 155 rota-spreadad

chafer tramliner sprayer

keenan forage box

vicon multispreader.

you got too many fingers on the hand you use for counting dave ? i make that 6  ;D

think mine will have to be the

MF590/595

Ford 5000/6600

MF760 combine

MF30 drill

3 furrow rev plough

Great topic this!

I guess putting my years playing with them into perspective my top 5 of all time would be:

1.MF2680 with Everard Sprayer (Apparently I got through 5 of them)

2.MB Trac (I used to put the broken sprayer parts on the back of this!)

3. Ford TW35 Power Farm (I didn't want the county at the time!)

4. Kverneland Plough

5. Flat bed Trailer

Top 5 wanted..

1. Ford 5000 & Dumper Set (yellow)

2. Gold MB Trac

3. Orange Rear Dumper

4. Window display box DDN sets

5. Kverneland Plough in special box

top 5

ford tw 20 had loads just loved the power for carpet farming

ford tw 35 really caught the collecting bug with these

ford 6600  perfect for all round carpet farming

front loader so many hours of moving just about anything

bomford superflow perfect on the tw-20 drove mum mad with carpet plucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

wanted

kv plough in dealer box

waterloo works 9630 duals

large set with 6600 and 595

mf 590 boxed

deutz alias boxed

Great topic this!

I guess putting my years playing with them into perspective my top 5 of all time would be:

1.MF2680 with Everard Sprayer (Apparently I got through 5 of them)

2.MB Trac (I used to put the broken sprayer parts on the back of this!)

3. Ford TW35 Power Farm (I didn't want the county at the time!)

4. Kverneland Plough

5. Flat bed Trailer

Top 5 wanted..

1. Ford 5000 & Dumper Set (yellow)

2. Gold MB Trac

3. Orange Rear Dumper

4. Window display box DDN sets

5. Kverneland Plough in special box

I saw in the latest Model Farmer mag that the Yellow 5000+dumper can go for £5000 in mint boxed condition  :of There's a guy in Holland who has just sold a boxed standard version with a blue dumper for £120 sadly I just missed it  :(

not in order but hey ho

1. Claas Jaguar 690

2. Claas 6 ton trailer

3. John Deere 7930

4. Drop nosed Deutz

5. Massey 3680 or NH 6635, can't decide which  :P

Wanted

1. Cheap boxed County (dont we all)

2. New Holland 8360 and TM

3. MF 760 combine

4. John Deere 8R

5. John Deere 8RT